Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jun 19, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile New dog how to begin the search?

Hi
We have been considering for a long time about getting a dog
And we fell now is the right time our kids are 10/9/8/8
But we don’t even know how to start looking for a suitable dog or where to purchase one from
We would like a puppy. A smaller breed but not a tiny breed. And not a terrier breed
I’ve been research insurance and vet plans microchipping etc
But could anyone advise how they went about purchasing a puppy and making sure it wasn’t a puppy farm
It doesn’t have to be a kennel club puppy
We want one to love to walk to look after and for the kids to grow up with
Thanks anna
mushumadness is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Have you looked at any of your local rescues?
In the past for one of our spaniels was from Kennel Club details
Our current dog Husky x GSD was from a litter that a guy who worked at local tyre fitting workshop dog had had.
Our children used to go to school/ play dates with our children.
Even though he knew us, he and his wife did a home check to ensure that the puppy would be looked after
I was really impressed that even though he was only a mongrel, the amount of care & attention was put into the litter
Puppies were vet checked with the local vet and 1 st jabs & microchipped
Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Research and more research, pick a breed you are interested in then look at breeders on line, good breeders will have a waiting list where you enquire then they will contact you when a litter is due, dont be afraid to ask to visit a breeder just to check out their facilities. We did all this and read up on the breeder from his web page, we then went when the litter was about 6 weeks to have a look and see if one of the pups was for us, instant love between our girl and my wife, but we didnt get her till the pup was older and had her first set of innoculations, breeder was also happy to be contacted after purchase on questions we had.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I know you said not terriers but Westies are great with children. Such loyal wee dogs but they are stubborn
Old 16 Jun 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

My friend breeds cavapoos
Two litters a year as a maximum
The next litter being ready to leave in October microchipped first hand complete partially house trained etc
£1500
Is that about right
mushumadness is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

OMG, 1500 for a mongrel dog! I paid £550 for our pedigree shelti, years back and felt that was more than enough x
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

It’s the new fad... mixed breeds fetching as much if not more than true pedigrees... designer dogs... I paid £600 for my cavalier 11 years ago and my little cavachon (cavalier x bichon fries) was about the same price 5 years ago...
I’d recommend a cavalier or cavachon, I’ve had cavaliers for the past 30 years and they are so gentle with children but love to play and will walk as much or as little as you want. I’ve had 4 children and 10 grandchildren and the dogs have loved them all, you should see how gentle they are with babies... the cavachon doesn’t shed the same as the cavaliers but have much the same nature and less of the health problems...
First of all check out the breeds, then look for recommendations if possible. If you’re answering ads don’t go for advertisers who are advertising several litters at the same time, check photos too. Make sure your seeing the pups with their mum and if the breeder hasn’t got dad then check his pedigree/photo/owners details. A genuine breeder will want to know what you can provide their precious pups with, to ensure they have a good home so expect lots of questions.
Ideally visit more than once and see where the pups are kept, I wouldn’t get a pup if I haven’t ensured they are kept in the breeders home with mum.

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

Plenty of pooches on rescue centres. Please consider a rescue.
Incidently my mom was determined she did not want a staffie. She ended up with a staffie cross.
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

Wow, there is no way I would Pay £1500 for a mixed breed dog or even pure breed just for a family pet. Labradors are amazing with children but can grow quite big and they shed a lot. We have a lab and lakeland great dogs.

If I was having a medium sized dog I would go for a cocker spaniel.
Old 16 Jun 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

If you get one of these mixed breeds that are mixed with poodles or bichon expect to spend most days brushing them as they mat very easily.