Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 29 Jun 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
valegroovers
slightly serious Dibber

Loving all the Naxos pics, you’re bringing back all those wonderful memories I still have of the island 🥰
Old 29 Jun 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Nearly time to leave beautiful Naxos. We went to the quirky place at the end of the beach in Agios Propokis one night and watched zorba the Greek on the outside cinema. The chap that owns it is a real character. We paid €10 each which included a very large drink from the make shift bar. Only a few of us but what an amazing memory. He stood and told the story of watching a film outside as a child and how he dreamed to bring this to Naxos. We spent a day on the beach watching the scuba divers come and go. The beach here is white sand crystal clear water. 2 sunbeds and umbrella €7 if you buy a drink €10 if not.

Fantastic restaurant family owned called Gianoulas. Ate here twice it was so good. Forget getting a table after 7pm tho it's packed with a people queuing. Ate fava for the first time, yellow split peas cooked with olive oil lemon juice puréed served as a dip with red onion lemon wedge and black eye peas. Also had gemista, stuffed peppers gorgeous. Complimentary beers or wine honey cake and a small glass of ouzo 🤢 Never liked it still don't.
I'm not one to go back to the same place but I fell in love with Naxos and was sad to leave.
Old 29 Jun 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

The only niggle with the hotel Semeli here was that it looked like the beautiful chill out area and upstairs terrace was an addition to the building. That meant very little space round the pool only 8 sunbeds and the pool area lost the sun mid afternoon. Oh and the very very noisy fridge in the room and a noise on the ground floor one night really late that sounded like a really high pitched alarm that went on ages. That said I wouldn't hesitate to stay in Agios Propokis again.
Old 30 Jun 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow that sea looks just beautiful! Have added naxos to my list of places I want to travel to!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by darbs View Post
Wow that sea looks just beautiful! Have added naxos to my list of places I want to travel to!
You won't be disappointed it's beautiful x
Old 30 Jun 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I love Greecel and have travelled all over. The Cyclades are something special though. The white cube houses, blue paint, octopi on sticks, gyros and massive Greek salads and ouzo (which I love).

Can feel the heat in your pictures and almost hear the cicadas. Scotsmomma has posted some pictures from Zakynthos this week too and there is just something about the feel of both your photos that really brings Greece to life for me. Thankyou.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Ahh Thankyou. Just Santorini to go now. As a family we all love Greece it kind of gets in your soul x
Old 30 Jun 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
The hotel called us a taxi to get to the port. Again €15 arrived promptly and dropped us at the drop off point at the bus/ferry terminal. As you come into the harbour area on the left the first place to sit is a really good sandwich bar. Huge selection of things to eat and drink. A good idea to grab something here as the ferry prices are steep. We got the Blue Star Delos boat €21 each departed at 12:50 arriving in Santorini at 14:50. This boat was like a cruise ship. Cafes restaurant Greek McDonald's type place. Really nice lounges to sit. We paid for eco seats again but you really could sit where you liked once moving. Nice smooth crossing arrived bang on time. The hotel in Santorini contacted me via booking.com prior to leaving U.K. To offer a taxi transfer for €30. My friend was convinced it would be easy to get it cheaper😜 We stood on the car deck as we approached the port with all the hundreds of other travellers.

Getting off was a bit of a shock. Santorini port is not a looker. My friend said it reminded her of India. It was rammed. There's one road in/out. Everywhere there was cards with drivers collecting passengers and taxi companies touting for business. It was a bit of an assault on the senses after the calm of the boat.

First taxi wanted €35 to take us to Perissa we got in a mini van with a Canadian family and paid €25. Its a very steep climb to get out of the harbourand not somewhere you could walk anywhere to. Took us about 30/40 mins to get to Perissia.

Edited at 11:46 AM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
I chose Perissia purely on the cost of hotels again. If money was no object Oia or Imerovigli would have been my choices. Having been I would avoid Fira and if it was an option stay in Pyrogos. Perissia was a good cheap base to stay €166 for the two of us for 3 nights. It was worth staying here alone for the hardworking lovely family who ran Villa Clio. Owned and built by the current people father. It was a traditional Greek self catering hotel. Spotless basic with the obligatory tiny shower and curtain that sticks to you when you grapple with the shower head. Lovely pool loads of sunbeds with mountain views.

Edited at 02:06 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Perissia is a black sand beach with a long strip of bars restaurants and gift shops. Apologies to those that love it or booked to go it's not that pretty down that area. We were a short walk down a dusty road to the beach or main road where the bus stop is. Bonus on the main road is a fantastic family owned old 24hr bakery. They did amazing apple cake biscuits sandwiches and drinks. Really helpful friendly people. It's called the Santa Irini worth a look if your that way.

Edited at 12:50 PM.