Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Feb 11, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by davechilly View Post
We have always just cut the labels out and posted receipts back to blighty. Come on shopping is part of the holiday. Doubtful customs would be able to tell what you have actually bought. The only obvious items would be the "WALT DISNEY WORLD 2011" T-shirt, not to sure how to get around that one!
The chances are you aren't going to be stopped, but if they do stop you the onus is on you to prove items weren't bought on holiday, it isn't on them to prove that they are. As has been said already, do you really think that they haven't seen examples of every tactic people use to avoid paying duty.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 11, 01:16 AM  
Link to this Post

We have always just cut the labels out and posted receipts back to blighty.
That is the biggest giveaway of them all. They are not thick.

Anyone coming home with a case full of A&F, Hollister and other US clothing with the labels cut off is asking for trouble. Shopping is indeed part of the holiday but if you do get caught then you wont need to do any shopping in the future in the US as you'll likely not get back in.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 11, 01:35 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by manxcat View Post
That is the biggest giveaway of them all. They are not thick.

Anyone coming home with a case full of A&F, Hollister and other US clothing with the labels cut off is asking for trouble. Shopping is indeed part of the holiday but if you do get caught then you wont need to do any shopping in the future in the US as you'll likely not get back in.
I dont think it'll stop you getting back into the USA as its the UK customs stop you.. USA customs dont care what you spend whilst your over there.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 11, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

We have always just cut the labels out and posted receipts back to blighty. Come on shopping is part of the holiday. Doubtful customs would be able to tell what you have actually bought. The only obvious items would be the "WALT DISNEY WORLD 2011" T-shirt, not to sure how to get around that one!
I don't know if you are aware but you have just admitted to committing a criminal offence on a public forum.

Shopping may be part of the holiday, smuggling goods back into the UK is not.
Old 24 Feb 11, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Tbh I don't see why it bothers people so much if others want to bring in more than £390 and not declare it .

We're all adults, who are all more than capable of making their own decisions you do what you feel is right ..

Yes we all know its committing an offence etc etc , and the government needs all the money it can get etc etc but simple fact is things in the uk are soo expensive , so it's no wonder people want to buy stuff from the USA .

And before anyone accuses me of anything no I won't be bringing in more than my allowance on my return from Vegas because the cost of living in the uk is so flipping expensive now I can't afford to be spending £1000's on shopping ..(now going to cry as I spend a small fortune at the petrol station)!

Edited at 10:13 AM.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 11, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by HenrysDad View Post
...Check the appropriate website, the link below will give you a starting point.

hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm
Closing this now as you can find a lot of the info you need here

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread