Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Norfolk residents... help please.

We take our dogs on their holiday twice a year to Winterton renting a cottage. Every year, we get sadder and sadder at leaving.
We now have many friends there who say its lovely but the winters are really cold and in summer its packed with tourists.

We at the moment live in a great area with everything on our doorstep and though we are on the coast its one of the best places for weather.

However, we hate leaving Norfolk now and are so keen on maybe selling up.

Do any Norfolk residents have any advice please.

Of course there is the temptation of ROYS ! XXXXX
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Can’t give you any advice as I don’t live there but just wanted to say I Love ROYS!
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
Can’t give you any advice as I don’t live there but just wanted to say I Love ROYS!
yay ! Hi Twinnie. I adore ROYS ! .

This year, our friends tried to turn my head to Lathams, how dare they !

I love ROYS ! Even have a Tee Shirt that my friend made for me. xxx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x

Edited at 04:13 PM.
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

No advice as such but wanted to comment as we are just on our way back now after spending the weekend at Caister. We love it there too and enjoy coming down a couple of times a year. Wouldn't relocate though as it is too far from our family and those we know who live there say that a large majority of jobs are centered around tourism which wouldn't suit us or our kids when they get older.

If you do decide to make the move though you'll certainly be in a gorgeous part of the world.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

We used to go to Winterton regularly - and also felt sad at leaving. But I don't think we'd have wanted to live there - for us it was perfect to visit. (Said as a bit of a townie!)

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

It's only really cold on the days you get winds down from Scandinavia in the winter. Obviously colder the closer to the coast but tends to be drier with cold winds than wet and cold.

On the whole Norfolk is one of the drier and warmer counties of the UK.

Winterton isn't really known as one of the more picturesque coastal areas being in a way a Great Yarmouth suburb. It is very tourist filled in the summer due to all of the holiday parks there.

There are lots of very nice villages around that way as you head up towards Cromer. Other than the likes of Hemant, these are very nice and less busy as they are more country villages.

Only real downside is that everywhere else can feel a long way away. Outside of Norwich major cities are 2 hours plus away. Some see that as a positive though.

Have you been to the North Norfolk coast from Wells around to Brancaster? Properties are more expensive but it is a very nice coastal area.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
yay ! Hi Twinnie. I adore ROYS ! .

This year, our friends tried to turn my head to Lathams, how dare they !

I love ROYS ! Even have a Tee Shirt that my friend made for me. xxx
See I love Latham’s as well, that’s what 11 trips to the broads growing up does to you!
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We moved to Norfolk from Milton Keynes 12 years ago however we live in small South Norfolk village and not the coast. I really like it now and has been a great place for the kids to grow up but it took me a while to get used to having to travel for most things I.e. a shopping centre rather than having everything on the doorstep.

I think the biggest disadvantages are the accessibility to anywhere else as has already been mentioned, I’m about 5 minutes from the A11 south of Norwich so the road is now duelled to the main routes but it’s still normally a trek to get to most places in the UK, Winterton would be 45mins at least on top of my journey. Im not sure of your work situation but this means that you are limited for work opportunities, Norwich being the biggest place for employment without a long commute.

Saying that wherever you are in Norfolk you won’t be far from some nice countryside, the coast and the pace of life does seems a bit slower and it feels safe. Winters here aren’t harsh with snow I think it’s just when it is windy being flat there are no natural wind breaks and obviously the coast may get weather from the North Sea.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
We take our dogs on their holiday twice a year to Winterton renting a cottage. Every year, we get sadder and sadder at leaving.
We now have many friends there who say its lovely but the winters are really cold and in summer its packed with tourists.

We at the moment live in a great area with everything on our doorstep and though we are on the coast its one of the best places for weather.

However, we hate leaving Norfolk now and are so keen on maybe selling up.

Do any Norfolk residents have any advice please.

Of course there is the temptation of ROYS ! XXXXX
What about the Suffolk coast, somewhere not so far from the main commuter towns & roads ?

Or north Essex has some nice coastline (I don’t mean Clacton or Southend &#128561.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

I live in Gorleston. It’s probably less touristy but does have a lovely beach. We do have a sea breeze but in the summer you can easily find sun traps. We never really have snow like other parts of the country, I thought this winter was fairly mild.
The coast is beautiful and places like Southwold and Warberswick are so pretty and great for crabbing and just pottering about.
Downsides are as other posters have mentioned, it’s a 2 hour journey before you even get to a motorway, it is better now the Thetford road has been made into a duel carriageway but it still a trek to get out of Norfolk.
It is busy in the summer, traffic is a nightmare but plans are in place for a third river crossing in the future which would help. I just cycle into town, it’s so much quicker.
Public transport is hit and miss, the train often has works on a Sunday so it’s a bus replacement. My sister travels to Reading every 3 weeks and is delayed quite a bit.
Buses to villages are mostly every hour and finish early so if you don’t drive you could be stuck.
If you don’t want a seasonal place there are lots of other lovely villages to look at, also the coast is caving in. This year people have lost their houses in Hemsby.

Edited at 07:16 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List