Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Aug 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Message received and probably more effective from a sibling !
I'd definitely keep them and rewrap them for her now we have the full story.
I'd definitely rather receive nothing than something so off hand and thoughtless.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The chocs wouldn't worry me at all, I think chocolates are an acceptable gift. I actually looked at the Ambipur display in Tesco the other day as they looked more like 'posh' scented things than air fresheners - maybe she thought that too.
There are definitely things I'd rather be bought, but be happy she thought of you, many adult 'kids' don't.
EDIT - Just read your update!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 01:16 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

I think next year I would take pre-emptive action. How about saying “I don’t really want anything this year but what I would really like is to spend some time with you” and then suggest going out for a pizza or something?
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Have really enjoyed this thread and glad you had a great day.
Am also glad it's not just me who couldn't care less about receiving presents!
Me also. I don't care about gifts , but do appreciate them saying happy birthday Mum . I think we are not the majority in our ways at home because we associate the gift thing with the kids and just don't care about getting anything ourselves. Its never something that enters my husbands mind or my own.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by gasp0de View Post
Happy Birthday, I do understand why you are disappointed, I've been with my DH well over 30 years and when it comes to my birthday or Christmas he looks round the house to see what needs replacing. I have received iron and ironing board, tea towels, saucepans, curtains, loo brush holder and spot lights for the kitchen. But at least he remembers and the thought is there 🙂 Perhaps your daughter was short of money or remembered at the last minute so was a rush buy, she did remember however xx
Seriously! I remember my now dh telling me he had bought his first wife some saucepans for her 21st birthday ( and no she wasn’t happy about it) so told him if he ever bought me any to cook or clean with as a present I would wrap it round his head, and bless him he never has, he hunted high and low for the Thomas kinkade Disney Aladdin jigsaw puzzle for me this year, think it was the last one in the world that was new, so happy with it.
Old 13 Aug 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Me ex's sister once bought me a plain, black umbrella from Primark for Christmas - I still think it's hilarious
Old 13 Aug 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

Air freshener - good god, no. That's almost RUDE!

Thankfully we don't bother with presents in this house..

Edited at 03:33 PM.
Bridget is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

it'll be cheap and easy for her next birthday then! i absolutely would not be able to help myself, id have to get something of equal 'thoughtlessness' haha

Personally, whenever there is something that upsets us or doesnt sit right with us, whatever that may be, i always think its best to talk.
I dont see why people keep quiet about things because then nothing changes or gets solved and carries on that way, the person causing the upset, non the wiser.

Happy Birthday
skinnybaby is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
82lcm
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

My SIL bought me a can opener and a ball of string once because my DH has mentioned in conversations that the can opener had broken and we hadn’t got any string in for a school project. She thought that was a thoughtful present 😂 I laugh now but ranted a lot at the time!
82lcm is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Thank you for the update.

At least we now know what a hangover birthday present is!

Love that her sister is buying her bleach for her birthday, will the photos of her reaction be your gift next year?

Your birthday wasn't boring.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List