Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Aug 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
redfox5
slightly serious Dibber

redfox5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

What I'm worried it about is that all the articles I've read about this, is that your not entitled to a refund if this happens as it's out of the airlines control :/would being on a package holiday protect you? We wouldn't be able to afford to buy anymore flights.
Old 16 Aug 19, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
SmilingSammie
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by redfox5 View Post
What I'm worried it about is that all the articles I've read about this, is that your not entitled to a refund if this happens as it's out of the airlines control :/would being on a package holiday protect you? We wouldn't be able to afford to buy anymore flights.
They have to give at least 2 weeks notice. If your flight falls on a strike day then BA would offer you either a full refund or to find you alternative flights.

I'm sure someone said that we'd also be entitled to compensation? You'll have to read back I can't remember exactly what was said.

I'm a Great British Mickey Waffle Presenter

My First Ever Pre-Trip Report - Sept 2015
My 2nd Pre-Trip Report! - Sept 2016

DLP - May 2013, May 2018!
Florida - 1998, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020 POSTPONED
SmilingSammie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
natanddaz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I really hope they dont leave people hanging over the weekened again.
natanddaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
Imagineer

Claudette's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by redfox5 View Post
If your flight is cancelled you are always entitled to a refund. It is compensation on top of the refund which might not be payable by the airline in some circumstances.
Claudette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
If your flight is cancelled you are always entitled to a refund. It is compensation on top of the refund which might not be payable by the airline in some circumstances.
From what I remember Ryanair (surprise,surprise) tried not to pay this comp when they had strikes, it went to court where they won. So you may not be entitled to the additional compensation. I think it is still a very grey area though with strikes because it is all to do with if the airline had control over it.

But you are entitled to a full refund.
Old 16 Aug 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Actually Ryanair had to pay out when its pilots went on strike as it was in the airlines control to stop the strike, (ie they could have given in to the pilots demands so the strikes would have been called off. They didn't automatically do it so you had to take further action against them.

It will be the same for BA unless they cancel your flight more than 14 days in advance.

The unions could if they wanted to announce strikes dates at any time, they don't have to wait for the current talks to conclude/break down.

Next Trip Nov '20
Jun 98 Apr 99 Dec 99 Apr 00 Mar 03 Jun/Jul 04 Dec/Jan 05/06 Jul 06 Dec 06 Jun/Jul 08 Jun/Jul 09 Jul/Aug 11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May'18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept'19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar'20 AKL/SSR

Edited at 03:06 PM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Actually Ryanair had to pay out when its pilots went on strike as it was in the airlines control to stop the strike, (ie they could have given in to the pilots demands so the strikes would have been called off. They didn't automatically do it so you had to take further action against them.

It will be the same for BA unless they cancel your flight more than 14 days in advance.

The unions could if they wanted to announce strikes dates at any time, they don't have to wait for the current talks to conclude/break down.
Ahh I am corrected, I thought that was the case but then googled it to find they won the case.

Edited at 03:29 PM.
RobandLynsey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
Talks between BA and BALPA finished earlier in the week, as far as I know BALPA are just deciding what to do next, presumably strike or re-ballot their members about the new offer.
I'm stuffed if they announce a strike now
Looks as if we may have dodged the bullet strike wise!
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 05:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Seaworldfan
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
Looks as if we may have dodged the bullet strike wise!
Going to be a nervy week for us September travellers though... not sure Iíll get much work done with the constant checking for updates
Seaworldfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
natanddaz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Seaworldfan View Post
Going to be a nervy week for us September travellers though... not sure Iíll get much work done with the constant checking for updates
I know how you feel last week i had that horrible 'sick to the pit of your stomach' feeling just waiting for them to announce strike dates 😞. Iv only just this weekened booked our mnsshp tickets as didnt want to risk losing any more money. I really hope BALPA accept the deal and disruption to all flights is avoided. Keeping 🤞 for you and everyone else flying ba.
natanddaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List