Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Aug 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

I think it was in Bob Evans we had something like this a few years ago. The place was pretty much empty but the server couldn’t have been less interested. We spoke to the manager on the way out and reading between the lines I got the impression they really struggled to find decent staff and this was the result. I don’t think we left any tip on that occasion.

Thinking back now it seemed that virtually everywhere we went was hiring some kind of staff.
silver_age is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
If you think you are being treated unfairly ask for the manager. We ate in Bob Evans. Well, we tried to. The server took our drinks order and returned with the drinks pretty promptly. Meanwhile a table of 8 Americans sat down, the server took their drinks and then then their main course order. We asked if we could order our meal and we were told she would be back in a minute, the minute stretched to 15 whilst she served the Party with their meal. DH went to the counter and asked for the manager and explained the sequence of events, she immediately comped. our drinks and gave us a $20 gift card for a return visit. She was most apologetic and told us to ask for when we returned.
I think this is the right thing to do - not in the hope of getting a gift card or anything but to let them know I'm unhappy if others are seen to get a better service. I think it's fair to give them a chance to rectify the issue whilst there's still an opportunity to do so.
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by boltyboy View Post
I was wondering if US tourists visiting the UK tip in accordance with our tipping culture?
My experience is they tend to over tip... by UK standards.

There's an old dibb story from years back when a Dibber's friend got "asked to leave" the Rose and Crown for informing a fellow guest at the bar that they didn't need to tip the barman as it wasn't the British custom in pubs !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Billy Beatnik
Imagineer

If we get good service, we give a good tip. However, I hate the fact that we are still expected to tip even if the service is bad. A tip is for good service, simple as that. We have definitely tipped low on a few occasions when the service has been awful. We work hard for our money and are not going to give it away to some ‘muppet’ who thinks they can spoil our holiday.
Billy Beatnik is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Billy Beatnik View Post
If we get good service, we give a good tip. However, I hate the fact that we are still expected to tip even if the service is bad. A tip is for good service, simple as that. We have definitely tipped low on a few occasions when the service has been awful. We work hard for our money and are not going to give it away to some ‘muppet’ who thinks they can spoil our holiday.

But you aren't expected to, that's when you speak to the manager.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
But you aren't expected to, that's when you speak to the manager.
But are you though? Expected tips seem to start at 15% for what is just basic acceptable service. In what circumstances would a 10% tip be appropriate? None? So it’s either 15%+ or nothing at all and having to waste time having it out with the manager.
silver_age is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
wensleydale6
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We’ve just got back from Miami and Key West, and I was surprised by the amount of restaurants that now include the tip @18%, and the others pre-printed 18/20/22%.

But I feel tipping is getting out of control, take a boat ride, get asked to tip, bartenders normally wouldn’t expect a tip unless you sat at the bar for the night and you maybe tipped them a dollar or two every 3 rounds or so, that’s all they expected. I’m only 40 ish 😉 but first went to the states 20 years ago for summer work, tipping was no more than 10%, and work and pay conditions have vastly improved since then so why have tips doubled!? I wouldn’t maybe mind as much if we were getting $2 to the £ as we were back then but not now 🙄
wensleydale6 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

I’m sure when we first started going to Florida about 25 years ago, suggested tipping amounts when they were trying to train the Brits up were like 10-12-15%

These are just run-of-the-mill restaurants we’re talking about here. What kind of service do they think they are offering that justifies almost a quarter being added to the bill? Unless you happen to save my life during the meal I don’t think we will be going there. They’re in danger of taking this too far and getting customers to question what they are getting for these ridiculous amounts.
Old 18 Aug 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wensleydale6 View Post
We’ve just got back from Miami and Key West, and I was surprised by the amount of restaurants that now include the tip @18%, and the others pre-printed 18/20/22%.

But I feel tipping is getting out of control, take a boat ride, get asked to tip, bartenders normally wouldn’t expect a tip unless you sat at the bar for the night and you maybe tipped them a dollar or two every 3 rounds or so, that’s all they expected. I’m only 40 ish 😉 but first went to the states 20 years ago for summer work, tipping was no more than 10%, and work and pay conditions have vastly improved since then so why have tips doubled!? I wouldn’t maybe mind as much if we were getting $2 to the £ as we were back then but not now 🙄
Originally Posted by silver_age View Post
I’m sure when we first started going to Florida about 25 years ago, suggested tipping amounts when they were trying to train the Brits up were like 10-12-15%

These are just run-of-the-mill restaurants we’re talking about here. What kind of service do they think they are offering that justifies almost a quarter being added to the bill? Unless you happen to save my life during the meal I don’t think we will be going there. They’re in danger of taking this too far and getting customers to question what they are getting for these ridiculous amounts.
We've been talking about this in the past few days - we always tip and we always have since we started going 25 years ago. The expected tip was always 10%. I can obviously understand the prices of meals and drinks going up over the years but can't understand the percentage of expected tip increasing. Why isn't it still 10% of the bill - with maybe 15% for outstanding service, which it used to be.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

Yes, it’s like 15% has become the bare minimum now which you should almost be ashamed to leave, whereas 25 years ago it was a top-of-the-line tip.

Back then it wasn’t very common to get the suggested amounts as a handy guide at the bottom of the check. I remember one time at I think it was Friendly’s where they must have been having some bad tipping experiences with their British customers and when the bill rolled up, the waitress had circled in red ink about 5 times the part that said “service not included”.
Closed Thread