Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Jul 23, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Place you picked the car up from:- MCO (B side)
Category of car hired:- Standard SUV
Make of car you got:- Ford Explorer
Hire car company used:- Alamo (Dutch site)
Cost: $956 (£740 approx) pay at arrival - 18 days

Hardly any choice when we arrived yesterday. Got 14k on the clock but seems ok. Picked it for the boot space as we had 4 large cases and a carry on wheelie - they all fit in without having to do the usual ”luggage-tetris” (folded the two seats in the back and it still fits 5 people).

Old 28 Jul 23, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
BigJoeC
VIP Dibber

14 days full Premium SUV through Dollar
Pick up and return Tampa International airport
Ford Expedition SUV
Cost - Part of holiday package, unsure.
Miles - 5320
Miles on return - 6013

BigJoeC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 23, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
jonomassey
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Place you picked the car up from:- MCO (B side)
Make of car you got:- Ford Edge
Cost: $745 (£570) pay at arrival - 14 days

5000 miles on the clock and loaded with extras inc Apple Car play

Edited at 10:21 AM.
jonomassey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 23, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gazza999
Earning My Ears

Place you picked the car up from:- LAX
Make of car you got:- Dodge Durango
Cost: £690 approx pay at arrival - 14 days

Arrived yesterday just after lunch. Wasn't many Standard SUV. 2 nissan 1 ford edge and the Dodge.
20k on the clock, fully loaded and 3rd row seats down 4 cases and 2 hand luggage cases fell in. So far drives fine

Edited at 02:50 PM.
Gazza999 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 23, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Getting Excited

Place you picked the car up from:- TPA
Category of car hired:- Full Size Pickup
Make of car you got:- RAM 1500 Big Horn
Hire car company used:- Alamo
Cost: £320 approx pay at arrival - 7 days

Upon reaching the TPA at 9pm and being greeted by a sea of concrete and about 4 vehicles total, this was brought round from the back.

It had Alabama plates (which meant we named it Bubba), over 100,000 miles on the clock and had clearly seen a bit of action judging by the state of the bed.

However it had a 5.7L Hemi which made a lovely sound, Carplay and all the modcons.
It was ridiculously quick should you feel the need.

We got 2 Adults, 2 adult sized kids and 4 large carry on bags in the cab with a bit of organisation. It wouldn't have been possible to have checked bag size bags in there with us.

Compared to the F150 I have had in the past, it wasn't as good/practical but I liked it more because it was very RED, very FAST and made an awesome noise!
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 23, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Place you picked the car up from:- ‘Orlando’ Melbourne
Category of car hired:- Full Size SUV
Make of car you got:- Chevy Suburban LT
Cost: $1141 for 14 days

Thankfully we were only international flight landing at MLB and were among first off plane so Alamo desk was quiet.

Initially offered Nissan Armada - errr no thanks - what else’s you got? Then had choice between two suburban LTs - very similar mileage so I went for the black one so I can pretend I’m in the FBI.

Around 14k miles on it and decent (but not top) spec. Wireless CarPlay was pretty cool and plenty of charging options.

Did take me a little while to get used to the size of it tbh, particularly parking - much to the annoyance of the Mrs.

Plenty of space for us 5 adults and luggage - particularly on return to airport as we had five fulls size cases, five max size hand luggage cases and five under the seat backpacks!

Pictures aren’t great sorry.

Edited at 10:55 AM.
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 23, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Averryy
Earning More Ears

Place you picked the car up from:- MCO (A side)
Category of car hired:- Premium Elite SUV
Make of car you got:- Audi Q7
Cost: $853 (£680 approx) pay at arrival - 14 days

We hired 2 Premium Elites for this trip, 2 parties. First party arrived at A side Garage (skipped the counter), 5 of them (4 suitcases) Alamo rep said they wouldn't get that into many things, suggested 1 of the 2 Audi Q7 parked. Other party accepted and they had the white one and asked if our part could have the black. Alamo attendant shrugged her shoulders and said "sure why not" (No extra cost) Both pretty new, 10k miles on them each, the black one pretty scratched in places and had a slow puncture, but we just topped it up ever 5 ish days!

Carplay, heated steering wheel, the works, 7 seats which was great as 9 of us in total and could split up easily. (We had the black Audi, other party had the white)

Edited at 08:27 PM.
Averryy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 23, 03:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Malificent
Imagineer

Place you picked the car up from:- TPA
Category of car hired:- 5 seater standard SUV
Make of car you got:- GMC Terrain
Hire car company used:- Thrifty

Old 20 Aug 23, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Carlmelia
Imagineer

Carlmelia's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Airport: MCO B side
Hire Co : Alamo Italian website
Cost : £690 for 16 days including fuel service
Car: Premium Elite SUV
Make of car we got: Maserati Grecale GT

Arrived yesterday (19/8) offered a choice of an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Q4 or a Maserati Grecale GT. We took the Maserati. Takes 3 large suitcases no problem. 1200 miles on the clock. It’s currently doing 35 mpg+ with a hybrid drivetrain but roars like an Italian car - fantastic.

The irony of being offered an Italian car choice when we paid via Italian Alamo wasn’t lost on us. The car park was stacked so a great self choice but the Premium Elite were kept behind the counter.

Edited at 11:47 PM.
Carlmelia is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 23, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Place you picked the car up from:- Orlando International (although booked to collect at Melbourne)
Category of car hired:- Full sized car
Make of car you got:- Ford F-150 truck
Hire car company used:- Alamo (booked through Andy at Discount Florida Car hire)
Cost: £584 for two weeks (1st august to 15th)

So we disembarked at Orlando instead of Melbourne because of weather and i asked Alamo if i could take from there rather than have to go to Melbourne the next day. They agreed, but were hesitant. they also said they had no full sized cars available and offered me a truck.

There were some Dodge Ram's in the line, another ford F150 and some foreign ones but in America i want American. This had 9k on the clock others looked a bit worn so i said yeah.

As expected inside is very spacious. could fit the 3 cases and hand luggage in easily by lifting the 2 seats, but i threw the cases in the rear and lifted one for hand luggage.

Front was a 3 seat but we left the seat folded so it was a two.

Car had car play, all the various drive modes, spent most of the time in eco.

For those who've always wanted a truck theyre becoming more and more popular in the hire lines.

This is our 4th one, had a Chevy Silverado, 2x ford F-150's and a Ram 1500. All are different, all have pro's and cons.

Theyre a lot easier to drive than you expect, but they are big, theyre not the easiest to manoeuvre and park but they are so spacious.

Now when visiting theyre something i will always try and get.

Tags
alamo, avis, avis preffered, budget, car hire, compact, dollar, full size, hertz, intermediate, midsize, mini van, sixt, standard, suv, thrifty