Notices

Old 26 Jun 19, 03:05 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Scottishnellies 5th Element 2019. Day 4- AMI, Pine Avenue, Free Trolley, Ugly Grouper

I woke at 6, lay til 6:15 then dressed. Kevin was sound so I didn't wake him. Made my coffee in a plastic turtle cup (classy) and headed for the bay

This is fast becoming my favourite place. It is beyond soothing and peaceful sitting here. And today it was just the fisherman and I. Nobody else. I love that! Sunset has loads of folk. Sunrise you could be on a desert island.

Todays sunrise wasn't the dramatic orange we had yesterday. It was almost last nights sunset in reverse. Instead of appearing from the horizon it emerged from that same bank of haze til it got all fiery once it was high enough.

It was just lovely. Soft hazy warmth, nothing but the waves and the birds. Ahhhhhhh

I sat on for ages after. I might need to bring my seat next time - more comfy than the low sea wall I'm sitting on.

A lady with her turtle watch T-shirt on walked by with her wee bag of flags etc. These are volunteers who patrol the beaches to preserve the turtle nests, mark them, record hatchings etc.

Strolled back to the house and it was still only Kieran that was awake. Kevin followed soon after.

After breakfast (I keep stealing the kids cap'n crunch - it's yum) I lay on the top deck loungers with my kindle and Caitlin joined me when she got up.

Kevin and Kieran decided to go to the beach shell hunting. They returned later very excited about having spotted dolphins at rod n reel and also finding some teeny sand dollars.

One smaller than a quarter

Hannah appeared about 10ish

Caitlin fancied exploring Pine Avenue but Hannah wasn't up for it so I went with her. We walked down from the house, passing the free trolley stop at Anna Maria city pier which is well under construction now.

We worked our way along stopping at all the wee boutique shops along the way. Some gorgeous stuff but pretty pricey.

Biggest laugh was when one of the boutique owners admired Caitlins wee beach cover up, asking where she got it. When Caitlin said a shop in Scotland she said it was such a pity as she would have loved to source it for her store. As we are leaving Caitlin says to me ‘Six quid. Primark' I was howling!

We stopped at 2 scoops

We visited the museum which I think Kevin and Kieran would love so might need to stop there another day

The museum had a bit about how Anna Maria got its name. I'm going with the Scottish version.

especially when it goes on to say the early settlers called garbage dumps middens. It doesn't get more Scottish than that.

and it told the history of the wee church along the road which was so lovely

we went to jail

Some more boutique shops. $60 for a bikini bottom, $120 for a floaty beach skirt kinda prices.

Some more boutique shops. $60 for a bikini bottom, $120 for a floaty beach skirt kinda prices.

we finished up at the doughnut experiment and had a nosey but didn't buy anything as I can't eat doughnuts and Caitlin was too full from the ice cream.

Kevin had messaged to say he and Kieran were going snorkelling at rod n reel so Caitlin and I walked back to there and caught up with them.

They had seen lots of fish but nothing more. Although a guy did come along the pier as we were there and said to be careful as a 4ft lemon shark had been swimming around the pier just half an hr before.

Oot the water!

back to the house and had a picky leftover lunch on the deck

the girls were straight back out sunbathing after lunch but I came inside for an hour feeling I needed some cool time after being in full sun all morning. I did go back out for an hour or so late afternoon.

We got ready and walked down to the free island trolly bus stop at the Anna Maria City Pier. This free bus runs up and down the island every 20mins til about 10pm.

The walk took about 12-15mins. It was sweltering and my 3 were moaning about the heat. When we got in the bus we saw why. It was still 89 degrees!

ZZ Top dude was driving

he was very helpful and told us when we had reached the best stop for the Ugly Grouper and pointed out where to walk to it.

We thought we might have quite a wait but we were seated straight away. There was a guy singing and playing guitar. Eagles, pink floyd, jimmy buffet.

I had a Goliath Grouper cocktail to start, then a Dragon Berry Lemonade. Both lovely and sweet.

And Kevin had a massive Beer 🍺

Caitlin had the Gumbo - but it didn't look like any gumbo I had ever seen. Caitlin said it was more tomato flavoured and not spicy. She liked it well enough and did finish it.

I had Grouper tacos, half of which came home in a box

Kieran had an All America Burger which his cousin kindly cut into braces friendly bite size chunks for him!

Hannah has a chicken sandwich

and Kevin has fried shrimp which he, having tasted/finished off everyone's else's dinner, declared was the best dish.

We paid the check

then walked over to the Northbound trolley stop

it was ZZ who was driving again. Back to the trolley stop at AM city pier and walked back to the house

We decided to have a go in the spa tonight. We kept the lights off and I submerged myself to try to stay away from the bugs. Gutted to report the new stuff we bought has not worked for me at all. I am now on well above 40 bites (I lost count) and am definitely going to get the calamine tomorrow that Smithlane suggested. It seems to have worked for Kevin who had no new bites today. Hannah has a couple more but I am definitely winning the juiciest human competition.

Out, showers, nearly a full tube of this applied, then bed

Leave you with a few extra photos x

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 03:28 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by scottishnellie - 26 Jun 19 3:28 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 03:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Helen the mossier are viscous up here in Haines as well I never get bitten but have 3 corkers got this afternoon when I nipped up toPosner Park
Love the midden reference goes so,well with minging
Dollar tree do calamine if there’s a store handy same stuff that’s$3 + else where
Love the Primark reference my out fit for a roe DS pool party on Saturday was £15 from there top trousers and beach cover up ( swim suit is from Walmart ) $20

Edited at 03:55 AM.
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 04:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Such a beautiful place it looks and sounds like absolute bliss.
Old 26 Jun 19, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Another lovely relaxing day, sounds like you’ve all settled into island life 😊x
JoJo88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
clubhouse
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

What a lovely day Helen, sounds very relaxing. A shame about all the bites. I have found that Ocean Potion Aftersun keep them away from me. I haven’t got a photo to hand, but it’s a large pump bottle, green writing. Might be worth a try. Look forward to the next update, thanks for taking the time to share your trip.
clubhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
clubhouse
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
What a lovely day Helen, sounds very relaxing. A shame about all the bites. I have found that Ocean Potion Aftersun keep them away from me. I haven’t got a photo to hand, but it’s a large pump bottle, green writing. Might be worth a try. Look forward to the next update, thanks for taking the time to share your trip.

Here you go - found one. Out of the whole family I am the only one that gets other from biters. I use this and I generally get away unscathed.

Ah sorry don’t think the image is uploading! It’s the Ocean Potion Aloe Moisturising Lotion.

Edited at 07:08 AM. Reason: To include photo
clubhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
JenD1
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Another fabulous day Helen. The sunrise peacefulness was lovely. I almost felt there ☀️
Old 26 Jun 19, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

Another fab day. Love a wander round local sights. I’m laughing at the midden! That’s what we call a dump here too in Northern Ireland. In fact it’s often linked with my DS bedroom!
Old 26 Jun 19, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Another great day, the photos look good. Shame about all the bites, they love me too, I hope I don’t get bitten as much!
Primarni seems to be a hit over there, I was stopped in Hawaii a few times to ask where I had bought my top. I just said England. I giggled all night that someone would like the cheapest item I own. I don’t think anyone had ever stopped me before to ask where I had bought clothes-it was the year those big leather coin belts were in fashion. A lady really wanted me to sell her my turquoise version from River Island and was most put out that I wanted to keep it!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List