Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Aug 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Diesel becoming more common in the states..

One thing to note and all future renters...

Diesel cars are becoming more common in the states..

Below are a few examples which are common cars people do hire...

The below cars do now come with the option of a diesel engine... More manafactures are following too..

Cars: 2018 Chevrolet Cruze Hatchback
GMC TERRAIN
Chevy eqnoix

What you need to remember is that the USA gets a lot of a eu engine cast offs from a engine design point of view.. As the eu is turning its back on diesel, the manafactures are pushing hard the sale of diesels in the USA to ensure they continue to sell existing designed engines and fund the hybrid and EV investment which is required.

At present, selling a diesel engine in the states in a car or suv means double the mpg, which the uptake will be massive like it was in the uk 20 years ago. There's going to be massive influx I think over the coming years while the eu goes green and the USA go diesel.

Useful to know when we all expect cars to be petrol..

See some screen shots below from USA car manafacture websites... Gmc and chevy (ownered by gm) are a first odoptors using some of the euro 5 1.6 TDI engines.

At least some of them are installing dpf's, some there's no mention.. 🙄

See below.

gmc/previous-year/te...and-price/trim

F pace.. Xf...

jaguarusa/owners/die...gas/index.html

Edited at 09:18 PM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you RickT we always hire the Chevy Cruze if we can get it so it's useful to see it could potentially be diesel next time.
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks for this RickT

Must be a little more circumspect in the current fuel thread - as you said I should moderate the 99.99% a little.

Mick
Old 16 Aug 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Thanks for this RickT

Must be a little more circumspect in the current fuel thread - as you said I should moderate the 99.99% a little.

Mick
Haha.. Yeah rule of thumb gas is the answer but it seems times are changing over there at present..

What is bonkers is these new smaller diesel engines get better mpg than the likes of the Ford mondeo (fusion) hybrid and that's a big selling point pushing diesel.. Double your mpg going diesel while saving money...

If it does take off, I expect they will create a new car sipp group so people pay for a diesel car as part of their booking, (at a premium no doubt )

Edited at 09:30 PM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

Mobile

Very interesting. I think if I was offered the choice and the price was right I might choose a diesel.

I’m a late adopter to the Diesel engine at home, I’ve had my first one for nearly 2 years, C4 Cactus, and I’m in no rush to change it as it’s zero rated for VED, and apart from the monthly payments, it’s generally cheaper to run than the petrol Corsa I had.
2026 - maybe...
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I am an environmentalist hence I have just changed form a 2ltr diesel to a 3ltr diesel

Glad to see the Americans have seen the error of their ways and will ditch petrol for the better fuel.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

I read that co2 emissions are up globally and specifically in the UK and EU, it was blamed on people ditching diesels for petrol, so it seems we won't win.

Whilst electric cars are emission free at the point of use the electricity has to be generated and I believe we don't have recycling facilities for the worn out batteries and they have to be shipped to Belgium when they stop working.

For the record I drive a 2l diesel and love the torque and easy cruising that diesel offers along with the near on 50 mpg although I do use my car for a medium commute and not for popping to the local shop or taking the little treasures 500yds to school!
pompeyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
thelegalbeagle
Proud to wear my Ears

The important thing to remember is that in the US, the diesel pump is green, so make sure you're putting the right fuel in
thelegalbeagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Whilst you may see diesels in the southern statesman, though I very much doubt the uptake will be large, they are useless in the northern stares, where diesel freezes in the winter.
I woukd suggest you have more chance of seeing hybrid/PHEV cars for rental than diesels
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
I woukd suggest you have more chance of seeing hybrid/PHEV cars for rental than diesels
Theres plenty of Ford Fusion Hybrids in the full size rows at most major US airports including FL. maybe another example would be better phrased.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02