Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 8 Aug 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Canada - May you said, oh yeah!- May 29th Back to Banff

Wednesday 29th Again hope I have got the right photos in the right days!

Really good nights sleep, in fact too good as we well overslept until gone 6 so our plans for sunrise at Moraine were gone Dh still decided to go and see what he could get of Lake Louise while I got ready.

Breakfast was amazing, although it was in the sports bar which is a bit like a cellar. Very nice but not the views we had enjoyed for dinner the night before. There was everything you could want, and some that you wouldn't normally expect for breakfast. All the usual fruit, cereal, bakery, patisserie, cooked items including about 6 different types of sausage, steak, ham, omelettes made to order, porridge, grits We tried lots of things in small portions and probably ate too much all washed down with coffee and juice for dh and hot chocolate and juice for me! Unfortunately it was too dark to take any photos and the ones with flash are just blown out

We wandered round all the shops on our way back up to our room. Honestly I've seen less places in a shopping mall Dh decided to treat himself to a fleece, which actually didn't seem too bad for a gift shop purchase. We didn't bother getting any chocolates as no one in the shop! After we had sorted the room, packed and checked out we had a walk round the lake where dh showed me the tree that the porcupine was in! (not anymore!) We decided to make use of the free residents lounge with cups of coffee and tea before we headed off to Moraine.

Not sure what time we got there but no problem getting in, certainly not the same as it was last summer (and according to the fb how it is at the moment! )
While we were walking across the dried out lake bed to the water we met a local lady there who told us about the avalanches and pointed them out. I had noticed the rumbling and seen them but thought it was thunder and waterfalls! It was amazing standing in the middle of the lake watching them ping off around us. She said we had to visit Emerald lake in Yoho NP as it was defrosted unlike Moraine and Louise. She also said we should visit Natural Bridge and Takkawaw falls. As we had no plans for today we thought we would head off that way before heading back south to Canmore.

After our last experience of the size of sandwiches at Trail Head cafe we only picked up one to share. Dh put Emerald Lake into the sat nav and we headed out. It only took about 1/2 an hour, we passed Natural Bridge on the way up but it was heaving so we thought we would get it on the way back (sadly still v busy so didn't stop) We also discovered that Takkawaw falls was still closed. We weren't too worried though as we had been there last summer and actually not surprised that the road was still closed as it was really steep and twisty!

Emerald Lake was a beautiful place but unfortunately there was no sun so we couldn’t really see the colour. As a bus load of tourists had just arrived we decided to have our picnic lunch and then go for a walk. Really interesting information about a mountain called the Burgess Shale where lots of really good dinosaur bones were found. You have to get permission to hike there now and there were phone numbers to call if you saw people up there The log cabin hotel looked very interesting and it is definitely on my list for our next trip (yes, still planning on going back again )

We thought about stopping at the Spiral tunnels on the way home but decided not to as we hadn't seen any trains headed to it and we found it really hard to visualise without a train going in and out! We came off the main road and headed back to Canmore via the 93a down to Johnston Canyon where we had to turn around as it is closed for animal safety until end of June I think. We hadn't seen any wildlife today just before we got back on the TC Hywy we saw a male elk with antlers.

We arrived at Stone Ridge and got all checked in with a room at front this time with a lovely view out to the mountains even with the road and train line, which actually didn't bother us too much. We went out for tea at Boston Pizza where I had honey garlic wings and a thin crust margarita while Dh had dry ribs and shrimp tacos.

Even though we had had a fairly laid back day we still went to bed and crashed out for the night!
Old 8 Aug 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Great pictures - this area is definitely on my list of places to visit
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Another great day . It just all looks so clean and fresh. It’s creeping up on my travel list !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List