Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 8 Sep 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fox
Earning My Ears

Mobile Onboard placeholder booking - cautionary tale ( with a happy ending )

I'm hoping that sharing my recent experience with our onboard placeholder booking will assist other Dibbers on DCL cruises in the future.

We were on our 4th wonderful cruise on the Disney Magic in August. The vacation planning desk was always busy throughout the cruise. Half way through the cruise I queued and spoke to the cast member at the desk who advised me that placeholder bookings should be made by filling in a form and putting it in a box on the desk. He had long queues to deal with and so I followed his advice.

Two days later, the placeholder request had not been processed and so I queued again. The cast member told me not to worry and it would be processed as soon as possible as he worked through the large volume of firms deposited in the placeholder box during the cruise.

Three days after our debarkation, I had still not received a confirmation of our onboard booking and my credit card had not be charged for the $250 deposit. I e mailed DCL to raise my concerns. They advised me to wait for 7 days and to get in touch again if I had not received confirmation of the booking.

7 days later - still no confirmation and still no charge to credit card. I e mailed again with details of my efforts to book the placeholder onboard and expressed my continuing concerns.

I had a lovely call from DCL in which they acknowledged that my placeholder card had not been processed and they could not find it despite enquiries. They did allow me to book a placeholder on full onboard booking terms over the phone as they accepted that something must have gone wrong due to the volume of onboard booking requests made during our cruise. The placeholder expires 2 years from our phone call rather than date of debarkation.

The lesson I have learned is to make a note of when the booking request was delivered and the name of the cast member at the vacation planning desk ( might even be worth a photo of the card and the posting?). Follow up if no confirmation number is provided whilst onboard. I will also keep a close eye out for confirmation of the online booking and for the charge to my credit card. It seems to be worth following up and raising concerns with DCL sooner rather than later so that they can sort it out ( as I'm happy to say they did for me).

I hope this helps Dibbers who might encounter this issue in the future.

We had yet another magical DCL cruise ( just works perfectly for our family) and cannot wait until cruise number 5 in 2020.
The Fox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
I'm hoping that sharing my recent experience with our onboard placeholder booking will assist other Dibbers on DCL cruises in the future.

We were on our 4th wonderful cruise on the Disney Magic in August. The vacation planning desk was always busy throughout the cruise. Half way through the cruise I queued and spoke to the cast member at the desk who advised me that placeholder bookings should be made by filling in a form and putting it in a box on the desk. He had long queues to deal with and so I followed his advice.

Two days later, the placeholder request had not been processed and so I queued again. The cast member told me not to worry and it would be processed as soon as possible as he worked through the large volume of firms deposited in the placeholder box during the cruise.

Three days after our debarkation, I had still not received a confirmation of our onboard booking and my credit card had not be charged for the $250 deposit. I e mailed DCL to raise my concerns. They advised me to wait for 7 days and to get in touch again if I had not received confirmation of the booking.

7 days later - still no confirmation and still no charge to credit card. I e mailed again with details of my efforts to book the placeholder onboard and expressed my continuing concerns.

I had a lovely call from DCL in which they acknowledged that my placeholder card had not been processed and they could not find it despite enquiries. They did allow me to book a placeholder on full onboard booking terms over the phone as they accepted that something must have gone wrong due to the volume of onboard booking requests made during our cruise. The placeholder expires 2 years from our phone call rather than date of debarkation.

The lesson I have learned is to make a note of when the booking request was delivered and the name of the cast member at the vacation planning desk ( might even be worth a photo of the card and the posting?). Follow up if no confirmation number is provided whilst onboard. I will also keep a close eye out for confirmation of the online booking and for the charge to my credit card. It seems to be worth following up and raising concerns with DCL sooner rather than later so that they can sort it out ( as I'm happy to say they did for me).

I hope this helps Dibbers who might encounter this issue in the future.

We had yet another magical DCL cruise ( just works perfectly for our family) and cannot wait until cruise number 5 in 2020.
My advice to anyone is always - do not leave the ship without your ressie number for a placeholder or any future cruise.
Your CM booking them was probably Tiago - guy from Portugal?

If they give you the brush off next time, tell them you're not leaving without it - book a place in the queue and get it!

Joa
Old 9 Sep 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fox
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
My advice to anyone is always - do not leave the ship without your ressie number for a placeholder or any future cruise.
Your CM booking them was probably Tiago - guy from Portugal?

If they give you the brush off next time, tell them you're not leaving without it - book a place in the queue and get it!

Joa
It was Tiago (Portuguese guy).

That's even better advice and the only way of being sure all is confirmed for the placeholder before leaving the ship. That's what I will do next time.

Edited at 12:48 PM.
The Fox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellesdream
slightly serious Dibber

Ahhh that is slightly concerning! We completed a form for the placeholder and put it in the box on our last evening as they were so busy (first time cruisers and wanted to make sure we were happy with cruising). We haven't had any confirmation - I'll have to triple check my emails when I get home as I am still on my way home!
Bellesdream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fox
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by Bellesdream View Post
Ahhh that is slightly concerning! We completed a form for the placeholder and put it in the box on our last evening as they were so busy (first time cruisers and wanted to make sure we were happy with cruising). We haven't had any confirmation - I'll have to triple check my emails when I get home as I am still on my way home!
On the basis of my experience, it worked out ok in the end and we got our placeholder sorted. I would keep a close eye out for the confirmation e mail and a charge for the placeholder deposit to your credit card. If you haven't seen anything after 7 days ( DCL wouldn't investigate before 7 days) then e mail DCL with your concerns and include your name, recent cruise reservation number and stateroom number. If you do not get a satisfactory reply, ask them to call you so that it can be sorted out immediately over the phone.

Fingers crossed that the e mail turns up in the next few days so that you don't need to do any of this at all!
Old 9 Sep 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
It was Tiago (Portuguese guy).

That's even better advice and the only way of being sure all is confirmed for the placeholder before leaving the ship. That's what I will do next time.
He is normally ok, but sometimes he waits until the last evening to do them and that's when it gets delayed (or forgotten).
He also scans in all of the comment cards on debarkation day.

Definitely book a place in the queue next time and get that confirmation number!

Joa