Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Sep 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

We had the opposite problem - found a whole new place mapped out with road names and stop signs, and no roads or buildings! Google maps knows the future!

archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by archibald View Post
We had the opposite problem - found a whole new place mapped out with road names and stop signs, and no roads or buildings! Google maps knows the future!

That 'Stop' sign is quite helpful
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

on a side note, i'd be careful on roads like that with a hire car - any damage and you're not covered as it's not a tarmac road
Old 30 Sep 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Not really a problem more of a quirk.

Many places (mainly rural) in the US have roads that are unmade i.e not Tarmac'd. They are still legitimate roads (with names) and can be used for navigation (I believe Funny Stead road that many Dibbers use was an example at one time). Waze has an option to avoid unmade roads but many other Sat Nav's do not, it's always worth check in your navigation options.

Edited at 11:34 AM.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Raggyavn View Post
Not really a problem more of a quirk.

Many places (mainly rural) in the US have roads that are unmade i.e not Tarmac'd. They are still legitimate roads (with names) and can be used for navigation (I believe Funny Stead road that many Dibbers use was an example at one time). Waze has an option to avoid unmade roads but many other Sat Nav's do not, it's always worth check in your navigation options.
In April a quarter mile stretch of Funie Steed Road between Formosa Gardens Boulevard and Entry Point Boulevard in front of the Westgate development was still 90% potholes and would probably be classed as "unmade" for the purposes of hire car T&Cs. I did it once to see how it was and had to keep changing sides to avoid the pot holes. Didn't repeat the experience.

There was a county road notice posted on here some time back advising that this bit of FSR was to be closed between May and December for remedial works and final surfacing.

However my DIBB colleague DonnaD who lives nearby said recently that it hadn't started yet.

The first bit of FSR just beyond FGB was properly surfaced a year or so back but it just lulls you into a false sense of security when you turn a corner and see "pothole central"

Mick

Edited at 12:09 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
In April a quarter mile stretch of Funie Steed Road between Formosa Gardens Boulevard and Entry Point Boulevard in front of the Westgate development was still 90% potholes and would probably be classed as "unmade" for the purposes of hire car T&Cs. I did it once to see how it was and had to keep changing sides to avoid the pot holes. Didn't repeat the experience.

There was a county road notice posted on here some time back advising that this bit of FSR was to be closed between May and December for remedial works and final surfacing.

However my DIBB colleague DonnaD who lives nearby said recently that it hadn't started yet.

The first bit of FSR just beyond FGB was properly surfaced a year or so back but it just lulls you into a false sense of security when you turn a corner and see "pothole central"

Mick
That section is still closed. Westgate is building a new tower so it must be part of that rather than just resurfacing. They may be putting in a watersports area in the other side of the road too. I understand they wanted to close that part to the public permanently but it wasn't allowed.
Old 30 Sep 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
That section is still closed. Westgate is building a new tower so it must be part of that rather than just resurfacing. They may be putting in a watersports area in the other side of the road too. I understand they wanted to close that part to the public permanently but it wasn't allowed.
Donna

Thanks for the update.

From memory there is already a lake on that side of the road. To be honest though that bit of FSR is only useful to us if we want to get to Sherberth because the left turn lane off 192 seems to be getting increasingly backed up. We use Osceola for most of our east-west journeys and I imagine that the flyover at Victory Way must have made progress since April.

Mick

EDITED - just checked I'd forgotten that it was Lake Wilson

Edited at 12:24 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Donna

Thanks for the update.

From memory there is already a lake on that side of the road. To be honest though that bit of FSR is only useful to us if we want to get to Sherberth because the left turn lane off 192 seems to be getting increasingly backed up. We use Osceola for most of our east-west journeys and I imagine that the flyover at Victory Way must have made progress since April.

Mick

EDITED - just checked I'd forgotten that it was Lake Wilson
They flyover is open now and working well. I do miss using Funie Steed at the moment during busy times but when it reopens if it is fully paved it is going to become a real rat run!
Old 30 Sep 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
They flyover is open now and working well. I do miss using Funie Steed at the moment during busy times but when it reopens if it is fully paved it is going to become a real rat run!
Donna

Today's useless tip from the UK.

When FSR is finally open you can get from the lights at US27/Legacy Park all the way to the lights at the NOLWR Walmart without any lights in between.

Although why we'd drive to NOLWR when Cagan Crossings is much nearer.

Mick