Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 21 Sep 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

The Highlands Fling Day 6 Animal Kingdom and Millers

Today we were supposed to do our boat ride at Spirit of the Swamp and then go to Animal Kingdom. Hurricane Dorian had slowed down a bit and had not hit Florida so we decided we would still go to Animal Kingdom as originally planned.

We parked in Giraffe 41-49 and then caught the land train over to the park stopping to have our photo taken with the Lion King frame. There is a lot of work going on in the car park and near the entrance which makes it feel like you are being herded to the entrance and isn’t pleasant. I am sure it will be nice when it is done though.

Our first fastpass was for Dinosaur so we went over to Dinoland stopping for a photo with Scrooge McDuck. There was only one party in front of us and it was nice to have a photo with a different character. There is not a lot going on in Dinoland now Primeval Hurl is closed so they have added more photo opportunities.

The standby queue was only 20 minutes and we were in the same pre-show room as the standby people which was virtually empty and when we got to the car they were also going out half empty. Good ride as usual.

Saw Kevin whist we were walking about.

We had a look at the app as there was a while before our next fastpass and noticed that Flight of Passage was 60 minutes. With no other plans we decided to wait in line and grabbed a powerade and coke to drink in the queue. When we got there it was showing 120 minutes but we were hoping it wouldn’t be that long as the area didn’t seem that busy so joined anyway.

After waiting for about an hour there was an announcement saying they were experiencing technical difficulties so the wait may be longer than expected. There was decent wifi so we decided to stay after we had waited so long anyway but some left the queue. There was a woman in front with 2 kids - one a boy not 10 and a girl about 13 -14. The boy was fine playing a game on his phone and so was the girl for a while as she was watching something but then she turned into a right pita, trying to sit on the barriers, messing with everything we came across and reaching over the ropes on the displays to try and touch all the ‘artefacts’ The mum told her off a few times then the brother and sister (I assume) decided to play fight. Luckily the mum had had enough and separated them. By this time the full 120 minutes had been waited and patience was wearing thin for all of us I think. There were nice cool fans in the queue and I had a really good hand held one but my back was starting to ache. Last time we went to WDW 2 years ago I had to shuffle about a bit to get on the seat properly but no problems this time.

Me and Beth were hungry so decided to grab something from the quick service in Pandora. I had the chicken, potato hash and creamy herb dressing and Beth had the chicken, noodles and black bean sauce. I wanted a blonde beer but when the cast member went to pour it it had run out so I ended up with a darker beer. It was a bit annoying though as when we walked along the rest of the queue I saw someone people served a blonde beer so he could have got it from another tap. I didn’t really like the darker beer either.

We had tasked Paul with finding seats but there was nothing inside so sat outside where it was still a bit too hot. Beth had a coke to drink which you helped yourself to and we also got an iced water for Paul from there. We thought the drinks would be refillable so when she finished went to get a top up but the ’in’ door just leads to the queue to be served and the other door only opens one way as there are no handles on the outside so we had to wait for someone to come out so we could get back in.

Our next fastpass was Expedition Everest but just as we got to the final inside part we could see that the ride was not moving. There was a family with London accents just in front of us with mum, dad, an older daughter about 15/16 and 2 younger children about 4 and 7. The 4 year old was a girl and was having a bit of a bust up with the older girl. The mum was getting fed up as I think there had been bickering going on for most of the day from what was being said and the dad wasn’t being much help. In the end the mum said ‘have a nice ride’ to them and ducked under the barrier and walked off. The rest of the family stayed in the queue and were almost oblivious to the fact that she had gone!

We waited for a while and in the end it was announced that they didn’t know when the ride would be back up so gave us fast passes for any ride except those in Pandora. We had a waffle cone ice cream then walked over to Kilimanjo Safaris to use the fastpass. On the loading bay we saw a girl with a massive Maleficent hat on which looked sooooo hot, she must have been boiling in it.

Our next fastpass was for Kali River Rapids. We put our stuff in a locker before going on the ride where we rode with a Chinese/Japanese family where the mum was sporting a poncho. When it is really hot I don’t see the point of ponchos - she was like a boil in the bag chicken! There was a bit of a kafuffle as they had a small boy with them who had to sit in the seat with the fold down arm rest thingy but it took a while for them too cotton on. Didn’t get too wet, my back more than anything but it was nice to cool down a bit.

We were passing the old Flights of Wonder show so popped in to see what the new show was all about. We were disappointed. Too short and too much Russell for my liking. Shame as we used to enjoy it even though the bloke with the flag was annoying.

I had noticed on the app that Expedition Everest was back up with a 20 minute standby time so we went over to Asia to ride it, We were in the queue and an Arther Mullard (remember him?) lookalike managed to push in with his wife to join their son or grandson. He looked like he was on his last legs so it was worrying he was in the line to ride. There were 2 Japanese girls in front of us who got snacks out of their backpacks. I couldn’t work out if if was frozen mango or frozen fish they were munching on! In the queue I was having a look at MDE and a fastpass for Expedition Everest just popped up for 10 minutes time so I grabbed that quick so we could just go round and ride again. It chucked it down when we were in the queue but it stopped before we rode. We waited for the back of the ride which is so much better and I may have said a couple of swear words at one point!

We were all getting too hot and tired by now so headed out of the park to Millers Ale House on the 192 for dinner.

Paul had a small bud light, I had a large Peroni (my favourite beer at home) and Beth had a coke for a change. For food I had fish and chips which had about 6 pieces of fish - Paul had to help me out. Paul had a burger yet again and Beth had the far too much for her Zinger melt. All the food was lovely but it was a bit off putting as we were in a booth and in the one behind us was a boy about 5 who was stood on the seats watching us eat!

I had another beer then we left to go back to the villa and an hour in the pool. Miilers was nice but pipped to the point by Applebees due to the atmosphere.

Back at the villa I had a text from BFF to day that Virgin had emailed them to say there were to fly home a day early via Belfast. She asked if we wanted any of the bottled water they had spare so we called at their villa on the way back and collected that and a few other bits and had a chat.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP

Edited at 05:30 PM.
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Great report!
Love AK and millers
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Oh god tempers do get frayed in Disney when you’re all clubbed together for days as a family pressure to have a good time, jet lagged, hot, ratty a perfect combo for a sh*t storm. We’ve had loads of *words* in Florida me and the kids, me and the hubby, hubby and the kids, the kids amongst themselves 😂😂 but we love it and still go back!
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List