Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 21 Sep 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Toronto here we come! But where else?

Found some bargain flights from our local airport LBA to Toronto via Gatwick and at £330pp with BA August 2020 couldn’t resist. That’s hand luggage only but as BA have a 23kg hand luggage policy may just get by with buying 1 bag of hold luggage which I can add on later £40 pp per leg which isn’t too bad.
So where do we go in 18 nights? We want to have a few days in the Toronto area; Canadaland and Tobermory. We visited Niagara a couple of years ago so we might visit on our way to somewhere but not bothered about spending the night.
I’m considering driving over to NY for a few days and maybe Montreal and or Quebec not researched these cities to know if they appeal.
We’ve always done long drives so that’s not an issue.
Suggestions of unmissable things welcome!

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by floridafan101 View Post
I’m considering driving over to NY for a few days and maybe Montreal and or Quebec.
Head east from Toronto. Straight to Quebec City, then Montreal, across to US.
Saratoga, Boston, Salem, Cape Cod, Hyannis, Martha's Vineyard.
Drive down to ferry for Long Island, Montauk. Leave car and most of your luggage.
Travel to NYC on Long Island Rail Road. Stay three nights.
Go back on LIRR to collect car and luggage.
Drive up through Catskills, across back into Canada at Niagara Falls. Then finish at Toronto.

Avoid taking car into Manhattan if you can.
Parking is costly, traffic is biblical, subway, bus, walking, quicker and easier.
Bridge and tunnel tolls expensive.

Might actually be better to keep NYC for a separate trip.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
tonigary
Imagineer

Sounds a good trip
I have visited, boston, salem (which is fantastic) and Cape cod, if you can go on a whale cruise, please do, it was an amazing 3 hours, brought tears to my eyes.

I need to book another road trip

Toni
tonigary is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

I have several trip reports in my signature with Montreal/Ottawa/Quebec City and Quebec in general. One of my favourite areas in the world.

Shout if you have any questions

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by floridafan101 View Post
Found some bargain flights from our local airport LBA to Toronto via Gatwick and at £330pp with BA August 2020 couldn’t resist. That’s hand luggage only but as BA have a 23kg hand luggage policy may just get by with buying 1 bag of hold luggage which I can add on later £40 pp per leg which isn’t too bad.
So where do we go in 18 nights? We want to have a few days in the Toronto area; Canadaland and Tobermory. We visited Niagara a couple of years ago so we might visit on our way to somewhere but not bothered about spending the night.
I’m considering driving over to NY for a few days and maybe Montreal and or Quebec not researched these cities to know if they appeal.
We’ve always done long drives so that’s not an issue.
Suggestions of unmissable things welcome!
What are your dates in August?- would love to visit Toronto
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
What are your dates in August?- would love to visit Toronto
Flying 17/8 LBA to Heathrow overnight in London and fly out 18/8 from Gatwick.
Back on 5th Sept no changes on way back Tor/Gatwick/LBA.

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lovinit
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We have just done Montreal, Quebec, Kingston, Gananoque 1000 Islands, Niagara and Toronto, finishing with 1 night in NY on the way home.
Loads for kids to do in Montréal, we did zip lining across a waterfall at Montmorency Falls (local bus outside Quebec), cruise around the 1000 islands (awesome) and took in a ball game at Toronto Blue Jays.
BTW, we were there for almost 3 weeks and took only hand luggage 😊.
lovinit is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

I did a 2 week trip last year, in and out of Toronto and had a great time! Highlights for me were Niagara Falls, waterfalls in Hamilton (assuming you like to hike!), Ottawa, and Blue Mountain Resort. I went to Tobermory too, I think it would be great in summer, however in October when we went everything was closed and it wasn't great! I liked Toronto, reminded me of a mini NY, but it wasn't my favourite. I also drove along the 1000 islands, but the weather was awful so we couldn't really see anything - I imagine it is great in good weather.

If I had had more time I wanted to do Montreal and Quebec City as well, but I decided to save those for a future trip!

Let us know what you decide on
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by lovinit View Post
We have just done Montreal, Quebec, Kingston, Gananoque 1000 Islands, Niagara and Toronto, finishing with 1 night in NY on the way home.
Loads for kids to do in Montréal, we did zip lining across a waterfall at Montmorency Falls (local bus outside Quebec), cruise around the 1000 islands (awesome) and took in a ball game at Toronto Blue Jays.
BTW, we were there for almost 3 weeks and took only hand luggage 😊.
Thank you we have our 3 boys with us 2 of which would love the zip line! What did you think of Montreal and Quebec? Wondering if we should do both or just one.

Old 21 Sep 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
I did a 2 week trip last year, in and out of Toronto and had a great time! Highlights for me were Niagara Falls, waterfalls in Hamilton (assuming you like to hike!), Ottawa, and Blue Mountain Resort. I went to Tobermory too, I think it would be great in summer, however in October when we went everything was closed and it wasn't great! I liked Toronto, reminded me of a mini NY, but it wasn't my favourite. I also drove along the 1000 islands, but the weather was awful so we couldn't really see anything - I imagine it is great in good weather.

If I had had more time I wanted to do Montreal and Quebec City as well, but I decided to save those for a future trip!

Let us know what you decide on
Will do!
We went 2 years ago drove from Niagara to Cornwall it was 6 hours of rain! Dreadful and so depressing, was hoping to see the 1000 islands but because of the weather we didn’t stop. Hoping to build that in this time potentially. Love a good hike so will check out Hamilton thanks for the tips.