Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 22 Nov 18, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile Christmas pudding

I need a quick/ easy xmas pudding receipe, that i can put in the microwave (after steaming)on christmas day. I dont mind steaming it to start with, it's just i don't want to be steaming on the day as there is so much going on😉
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I use Delia Smiths recipe, and it never fails.
You can microwave on christmas day, or pop it back in the steamer while eating dinner to warm through. If time, soak your dried fruits overnight first, in fresh orange juice, or brandy, port or other alcohol, to plump them up.

In a big bowl put -
4oz Atora Suet
4oz breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinammon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
8oz soft dark brown sugar
4oz sultanas
4oz Raisins
8oz Currants
Optional - tiny diced cooking apple, chopped cherries, chopped almonds. (I dont use any of these)
Grated zest one orange (i use the juice too)
Grated zest one lemon

Mix well, add 2 tablespoons brandy or rum. (I use brandy) 150 mls of guiness or stout.
2 eggs.
MIX WELL (if you can do this day before steaming)
Next day - sieve in 2oz Self Raising Flour.
MIX AGAIN (Make a wish)

Pack into a bowl. Cover top with baking paper, then foil, secure with an elastic band or string.
Steam for eight hours gently over water. Top up regularly, after few hours will self top up.

Allow to cool replace paper and foil with fresh ones, then place in a cupboard, until christmas. You can feed it with a tablespoon of brandy or rum, every couple of weeks if you like to, just remove covers, poke with a cocktail stick all over and drizzle the alcohol. I make a dozen of these every year they are very much in demand! It microwaves really well, I take one to work each year and we microwave it and have it for lunch. Mmmm

Have fun x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816

Edited at 07:05 PM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Loopylooloo sounds just ul my street as i have most of this already. Whst size basin?
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

This makes one medium size bowl (1pint ish) and a small half pint ish one. I prefer to make smaller ones, as its not something you want lots of, and its easier to fit in the steamer!

It really is very easy, takes just few minutes to make it, you just need to prepare ahead a little in terms of time management for steaming.

I used to hate the stuff until I made my own, the difference is amazing, much lighter, more fragrant.
I have converted many a pud hater already!

Our trip reports -

Edited at 08:10 PM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I can highly recommend Marks & Spencer’s various Christmas puds.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Diz
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
I use Delia Smiths recipe, and it never fails.
You can microwave on christmas day, or pop it back in the steamer while eating dinner to warm through. If time, soak your dried fruits overnight first, in fresh orange juice, or brandy, port or other alcohol, to plump them up.

In a big bowl put -
4oz Atora Suet
4oz breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinammon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
8oz soft dark brown sugar
4oz sultanas
4oz Raisins
8oz Currants
Optional - tiny diced cooking apple, chopped cherries, chopped almonds. (I dont use any of these)
Grated zest one orange (i use the juice too)
Grated zest one lemon

Mix well, add 2 tablespoons brandy or rum. (I use brandy) 150 mls of guiness or stout.
2 eggs.
MIX WELL (if you can do this day before steaming)
Next day - sieve in 2oz Self Raising Flour.
MIX AGAIN (Make a wish)

Pack into a bowl. Cover top with baking paper, then foil, secure with an elastic band or string.
Steam for eight hours gently over water. Top up regularly, after few hours will self top up.

Allow to cool replace paper and foil with fresh ones, then place in a cupboard, until christmas. You can feed it with a tablespoon of brandy or rum, every couple of weeks if you like to, just remove covers, poke with a cocktail stick all over and drizzle the alcohol. I make a dozen of these every year they are very much in demand! It microwaves really well, I take one to work each year and we microwave it and have it for lunch. Mmmm

Have fun x
This is exactly the recipe I use. On Christmas Day I scoop out portions and microwave each portion. All except the most confirmed pud haters love how light and fruity this is.
Diz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you. I got all prepared and then realised i don't have any small basins😣a trip to wilkos i think😂😂
Old 23 Nov 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

It doesnt really matter what size, as long as it fits in steamer. Mixture coukd be bigger or smaller depending on extras added, like cherries etc.
Please come back and tell us how it goes and what you think of taste, I personally dont think a shop bought one can compare, sorry Ericsmum, not even my beloved M&S!

Our trip reports -
Old 23 Nov 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

I am getting excited about it😉i wang to do a small one so we can try it before xmas,DH loves xmas pud so 🤞
Old 23 Nov 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

Will let you know what we think.