Notices

Old 22 Feb 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Sam_Smith
slightly serious Dibber

cyclops The Route 66 Whistle Stop Tour 1st to 19th June 2019

This will be out first adventure to the West Coast, and I am finally getting excited about it!

DH has always dreamed of driving Route 66, but as it goes on for 2448 miles and stretches over 8 states, some compromise has been reached!

So yes he will be driving ON Route 66 - just not much of it!

Maybe this TR needs to be renamed the "Blink and You'll Miss It Route 66 - or Was it Tour"?!

Anyway for now we shall stick with the

Route 66 Whistle Stop Tour

We love Florida, and since the children have moved out and become self sufficient (well as much as we could hope for!) our Florida vacations have been much more laid back affairs. I refuse to apologise for spending adults only time in Disney. In fact I am thinking of starting a petition for adults only days in all the parks

I'm thinking February to May and September to November. I can't see any issue with getting that through parliament Who's with me?!

Recent Florida trips have seen us master the Art of Disney. Our perfect formula is

(5x) + (9x villa) = nirvana

We still love the parks but are participating less and less in the whole coaster vibe, and taking people watching to another level.

You can read previous reports here

All our TR's in one place

But now we have perfected Florida, we have decided to Go West.

The Cast

Me: Turned 50 last year and celebrated in Las Vegas. Disney expert. Sun lover. Travel writer. OCD inflicted. Planner to the max.

Him: DH is 55 this year but acts more like 70! Victor Meldrew impersonator. Great at channelling his inner Grumpy. Actually looks more like 45 but that's because he is so well looked after! Petrol head and Superbike fan.

So this trip will involve NO DISNEY!

NONE!

NIC - NICHTS - NIETS - RIEN - NADA

OK so now we have got that straight, I can share the plan.

Day 1 - Airport Parking booked (£80.40). Flights with UA £316 each direct. LHR to LAX. 3 nights Dunes Inn Sunset Boulevard (£284)
Day 2 - Los Angeles. Full day tour booked through Expedia with a Day in LA Tours £148. Including Hotel pick up, Los Angeles, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and Hollywood. Griffith Park, Rodeo Drive, The Grove & Farmers’ Market, the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Sunset Strip.
Day 3 - Forest Lawn and Westwood. USS IOWA
Day 4 - Huntington Beach and drive to Lee Vining via a whistle stop Route 66 experience. 2 nights Yosemite Gateway Motel (£305)
Day 5 - Yosemite
Day 6 - Drive to North Lake Tahoe. Bodie Ghost Town on the way. 2 nights Firelite Lodge (£235)
Day 7 - North Lake Tahoe
Day 8 - Drive to Sacramento. Stay with friends
Day 9 - Stay with friends
Day 10 - Drive to San Francisco. 3 nights Town House Motel (£391)
Day 11 - Dylans Famous Tour of San Francisco. Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf with friends
Day 12 - San Francisco.
Day 13 - Drive to Santa Cruz. 2 nights Comfort Inn Boardwalk (£559) . Laguna Seca. Unfortunately we are a month early for World Super Bikes but we can go and watch an open track day just to say we have visited.
Day 14 - Monterey. Whale watching. Aquarium
Day 15 - Drive to Morro Bay via Hearst Castle. 1 night Bayfront Inn (£259)
Day 16 - Drive to Santa Barbara. 3 nights Super 8 by Wyndham (£410)
Day 17 - Santa Barbara. Harbour & State Street
Day 18 - Santa Barbara. Sunset along Shoreline Park
Day 19 - Drive to LA. UA Flight LAX to LHR direct
Day 20 - Arrive home

Every motel/ hotel includes breakfast and parking. Car is booked (£356 for a std SUV)

Need to get my dollars, but I am having a bum trembling time deciding to do that pre or post Brexit.

Maybe I will do half and half

So the countdown is now becoming real and Youtube is getting a real bashing.

Hopefully I have kept you awake so far.

I will post updates as they happen.

Edited at 04:53 PM.
Sam_Smith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinkletoes47
VIP Dibber

Looks like this is going to be a fantastic trip - especially the Yosemite days, can’t wait to hear about those...
And we don’t have to wait long...have a great trip 👍

Edited at 11:21 PM.
Twinkletoes47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List