Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 3 Sep 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
The Sampsons
Proud to wear my Ears

The Sampsons's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi no we are flying etihad from Manchester. Have a 2hour stopover at Abu Dhabi but apparently airport is huge and it will go fast! Sooo excited 😊
2019 Jen Orchardgateway Singapore
The Sampsons is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Hi,

A bit late to the party but we head out to Singapore for a week on Saturday 7th September.

Full trip report and pics to follow when we get back so I'll be able to share experiences.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BONZO View Post
Hi,

A bit late to the party but we head out to Singapore for a week on Saturday 7th September.

Full trip report and pics to follow when we get back so I'll be able to share experiences.
Brilliant, have a good time. I will look forward to the report.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I see a thread on Singapore and can't resist posting here given my location!

Seems to be a lot of comments about costs. Singapore is definitely far more expensive than the other countries in the region. However you can live very cheaply or very expensively here, depending on what you eat and your lifestyle...

Food wise hawker centres (which typically have no air conditioning) will start at around £2 for a meal, and this might go up to around £3-5 at food courts (indoor, air conditioning). At restaurants you're looking more in the price range of £10-20 a meal at regular chain restaurants, and of course the prices then go up exponentially for fancier restaurants. Many shopping malls have a food hall or multiple takeaway counters where you can buy a variety of drinks, meals or snacks usually for around £1-5 depending on what sort of food you're looking at. (These are all very general price ranges and there will be some variations though!)

Getting around - the public transport system (MRT/bus) is fairly cheap. The fare to get from one end of the island to the other is $2.60 without an EZlink card (Oyster equivalent), which works out to about £1.50; shorter distances will cost less. Taxis are fairly affordable - I think the most I've ever paid for a single ride was perhaps $50 (£30) which was to get from one end of the island to the other, with surcharges included. (Cars are insanely expensive though!)

I'm always happy to answer any questions about Singapore if anyone has any!
Old 6 Sep 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Thanks for the further contributions. Bonzo, I cannot wait to read your report and Sky, you might regret saying you’ll be happy to answer questions 😂 Great information, thank you 😊
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

DD has just been to Singapore for a week (part work, part sight seeing). Flying back to Adelaide at the moment. She sent some pics. Some were taken at the botanic gardens.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by happytraveller View Post
Thanks for the further contributions. Bonzo, I cannot wait to read your report and Sky, you might regret saying you’ll be happy to answer questions 😂 Great information, thank you 😊
🤣 Well do let me know if you have any questions at all! Hopefully won't regret saying that...

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
DD has just been to Singapore for a week (part work, part sight seeing). Flying back to Adelaide at the moment. She sent some pics. Some were taken at the botanic gardens.
Nice photos! Though just one minor note that the first few photos are of Gardens by the Bay which is a lot more futuristic-looking - there is also a different park which is the Singapore Botanic Gardens that looks a bit more like a typical park!
Old 7 Sep 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
🤣 Well do let me know if you have any questions at all! Hopefully won't regret saying that...

Nice photos! Though just one minor note that the first few photos are of Gardens by the Bay which is a lot more futuristic-looking - there is also a different park which is the Singapore Botanic Gardens that looks a bit more like a typical park!
Apologies, somewhere in her photos she mentioned botanic gardens so I assumed most were from there. She also sent a photo of the Marina Bay Hotel. It featured in a bbc programme Monica from Masterchef and another guy work behind the scenes in luxury hotels around the world. I’d love to stay there. She also said the food in Singapore was delicious.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
Apologies, somewhere in her photos she mentioned botanic gardens so I assumed most were from there. She also sent a photo of the Marina Bay Hotel. It featured in a bbc programme Monica from Masterchef and another guy work behind the scenes in luxury hotels around the world. I’d love to stay there. She also said the food in Singapore was delicious.
No worries! Just thought I'd mention it as while they are both lovely gardens, they are quite different!

I think I saw that programme of going behind the scenes at the Marina Bay Sands hotel, but think I saw it on a flight somewhere so have no idea what it's called! It was quite interesting though seeing them go behind the scenes and looking at how much work goes into running a large hotel...

And I agree food here is delicious! Food is a bit of a national obsession/hobby/pastime...
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Singapore is beautiful place as something different to see.

But my first visited was in 1988 as that times everything was cheap. I bought lots of clothes before went to Australia.

Second visited with my kids i think 16 years ago for 2 nights I can see the prices up

I still like go back there again, hopeful one day stop over before go to Australia. I believe nowadays that Singapore are expensive
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List