Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 6 Sep 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
I ordered a really early room service breakfast that day and then ate that in the room
I don’t like to eat before I run so needed something afterwards.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
-kat-
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow, thank you all so much for all your advice...you guys are really awesome! You've all made me feel much better about going for it and given me lots of fantastic tips! I'm feeling really fit now and am gonna keep running regularly, however I always look like a giant tomato when I'm done so can only imagine the colour I'll be in the heat on Castaway Cay but you guys are all right...the ocean is right there

I'll defo not eat beforehand but the breakfast tip is great, thanks! And knowing that water is readily available is great.

My hubby and daughter and super excited to know that they can take part and not be mortified by the lack of running and we struggle to get my sone out of the kids club tbh so he's thrilled that we're all going of without him!

How cool that you did your graduation run there Bellasmummy!

Oh and it's the Dream we're on again Buggles94...it was a slightly impromptu accidental booking . Would love to do the Fantasy next though!

Sorry, one last thing...if we bring all our stuff off the ship with us for the day where do we leave it on the island? Where is the starting point? Or is it better to get back on the ship to clean up and lather the sun cream etc? Sorry I know I'm a pest

Thank you all again for every bit of advice, it really is so greatly appreciated!
Glenbrook Villa & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2007, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2009, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Polynesian 2014, The Wedding Pavilion & The Polynesian 2016, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Disney Dream & The Yacht Club 2018, The Disney Dream & Animal Kingdom Lodge club level 2019,

Edited at 07:35 PM.
-kat- is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We did it in August.

I'm a runner although largely an injured one so my mileage is way down. My partner is not a runner,. although she's pretty trim and she wanted to run it.

It was quite a struggle for her to run the whole thing, but she did manage to, just. I kept with her, which meant running very within myself, but it was nice to do it together.

it was warm, clearly, but nowhere near as bad as I'd thought it would be. When we were at the Beach Club before our cruise I did a few runs up to the Studios and then laps round the lake and on a few of those the real feel temperature was 43 degrees. Castaway Cay was not as hot as those runs!

Additionally, quite a bit of the run is in the shade - certainly far more than I expected based on what I'd read from others about running up and down the runway. Most of the run is NOT up and down the runway!

It's good fun and there are people going at all kinds of pace - some decent runners going at quite a clip, some jogging along, some alternating jogging and walking and others walking.

Finally, as the cast member at the start said: it's just for fun. You can run around the corner from the start, turn round and come back 30 seconds later and you'll still get a medal!

if you're capable of jogging/running 5km you should do it. Take it slow at the outset and then pick up the pace if you feel you have it in you. If not, slow down to a walk and do what you need to do to get round.

Good luck - you'll love it!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Oh, another thing - do a few runs on the Dream itself. Those are nice laps to do!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Mobile

I did it in feb when on the fantasy. It was early morning (think we were finished by about 9.30) and there were lots of water stations. I’m not a runner so walked it. Bought a fridge magnet as a momento!
Old 8 Sep 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
-kat-
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
We did it in August.

I'm a runner although largely an injured one so my mileage is way down. My partner is not a runner,. although she's pretty trim and she wanted to run it.

It was quite a struggle for her to run the whole thing, but she did manage to, just. I kept with her, which meant running very within myself, but it was nice to do it together.

it was warm, clearly, but nowhere near as bad as I'd thought it would be. When we were at the Beach Club before our cruise I did a few runs up to the Studios and then laps round the lake and on a few of those the real feel temperature was 43 degrees. Castaway Cay was not as hot as those runs!

Additionally, quite a bit of the run is in the shade - certainly far more than I expected based on what I'd read from others about running up and down the runway. Most of the run is NOT up and down the runway!

It's good fun and there are people going at all kinds of pace - some decent runners going at quite a clip, some jogging along, some alternating jogging and walking and others walking.

Finally, as the cast member at the start said: it's just for fun. You can run around the corner from the start, turn round and come back 30 seconds later and you'll still get a medal!

if you're capable of jogging/running 5km you should do it. Take it slow at the outset and then pick up the pace if you feel you have it in you. If not, slow down to a walk and do what you need to do to get round.

Good luck - you'll love it!
Perfect! Thanks for that, it’s really good to know that there is some shade and it’s not all out in the open...even cycling along the runway last year was tough in the heat 😂.
I’m super excited to do it tbh...especially now that I can actually run for more than 5k without collapsing in a heap 😂. I’m probably just gonna use the gym for running at AKL tbh, although I’d like to try the path to Kidani and back but I reckon the heat will not work for me and it’s a bit of a hill I think? I’ve never actually even walked it before as we’ve used the shuttle in the past but I’ll defo check it out as I prefer to run outside.

Oh and running round the ship is on my bucket list...in fact I want to run round every Disney ship at least once...so that’ll definitely be getting ticked off 👍 . We walked it last year and it was fun so I’m really happy to be running it this year!

Thanks again for your help!
Glenbrook Villa & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2007, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2009, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Polynesian 2014, The Wedding Pavilion & The Polynesian 2016, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Disney Dream & The Yacht Club 2018, The Disney Dream & Animal Kingdom Lodge club level 2019,
-kat- is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
-kat-
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dendycat View Post
I did it in feb when on the fantasy. It was early morning (think we were finished by about 9.30) and there were lots of water stations. I’m not a runner so walked it. Bought a fridge magnet as a momento!
It’s so good to know it’s walkable! I’m defo gonna be pushing myself to run it but my other half has bad hips so can’t run and my daughter will happily walk with him to keep him company.
And also good to know I can buy momentos...this may end up costing me a lot 😂 so thanks for the heads up!
Old 8 Sep 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

They hold an information session onboard the day before, that’s where you collect your number. They’ll go through location, route etc then so worth going along.

There’s an area to leave your bags, though I wouldn’t leave valuables.

The wire cropped leggings with a side pocket that holds my phone, that was the only valuable I needed.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
-kat-
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
They hold an information session onboard the day before, that’s where you collect your number. They’ll go through location, route etc then so worth going along.

There’s an area to leave your bags, though I wouldn’t leave valuables.

The wire cropped leggings with a side pocket that holds my phone, that was the only valuable I needed.
That's great, thank you so much!
Old 12 Sep 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Jockey
Imagineer

Good Luck with the run... hope you have fun !