Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyXL
New Poster (5)

Drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas...looking for help

Hi – got a ‘once in a lifetime’ trip to California with family (2A and 2 teenagers). Flights already booked into and departing from Los Angeles.

Looking to loop from LA > San Francisco > Las Vegas > San Diego > LA.
Appreciate this is quite a lot of driving. Okay with this but SF to LV looks to be longest drive(almost 9hrs!). Looking for advice on how best to break this up (stop over in Yosemite maybe).

Anyone done San Francisco to Las Vegas? How was it and how did you manage it?

Many thanks.
DisneyXL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

High after San Fran please don't go to Las Vegas , go to yosemite for 2 nights of you can and then leave via tioga pass to vegas.5.5 hours dr plus some food drink stops.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again San Fran to yosemite 3.5 hours and one of the best things we have ever done. Also before you go please watch the dawn wall and free solo about the climbing of El capitan.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

San fran to Yosemite for a couple of nights , then drive tioga pass to death valley and end up driving into vegas just around dusk with the lights of the strip been seen for miles.

Note : depending on time of year Tioga pass could be closed for snow.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I don’t agree that it’s a couple of nights for the drive. We did Yosemite in a day as in all honesty it’s mountains, waterfalls and trees. It’s nothing overly special. We did a night in bishop then carried on a Death Valley is just a desert. I wouldn’t waste the days on them. I loved seeing but after 10 mins the view looks the same
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Heading across to Las Vegas you could go via Death Valley.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by elmlea22 View Post
We did Yosemite in a day as in all honesty it’s mountains, waterfalls and trees. It’s nothing overly special.
The Californian tourist board are likely to be in touch to ask if you could provide write-ups for all of their tourist attractions...

Disneyland - it's a few fairground rides and a bloke in a mouse costume.

Vegas - it's a big arcade full of fruit machines.

Pacific Coast Highway - it's a really slow road down the coast. Dull. Take the interstate instead.

Napa Valley - once you've tasted one wine you've tasted them all.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
npafc
Getting Excited

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
We went from San Fran to Vegas via Lake Tahoe, Yosemite & Death Valley. Ok it did take 5 days but, boy, what a trip!

We’re doing it again next year but it’s an even longer route taking 10 days.

If you can spare the time then definitely take the time.

2023 Trip number 10, Royal Pacific Universal & Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
npafc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
The Californian tourist board are likely to be in touch to ask if you could provide write-ups for all of their tourist attractions...

Disneyland - it's a few fairground rides and a bloke in a mouse costume.

Vegas - it's a big arcade full of fruit machines.

Pacific Coast Highway - it's a really slow road down the coast. Dull. Take the interstate instead.

Napa Valley - once you've tasted one wine you've tasted them all.
Sorry but did I say you should avoid Yosemite and Death Valley to go to the slot machines or attraction rides. It’s a day thing like Disney is also a day. I wouldn’t spend longer then a day at either. I look for oddities that you can’t get in other places like the Roiling forks steam train or the funny towns down the old Route 66. I would want to see all the different places especially if a one off holiday.

Also if the California tourist board do come knocking I wouldn’t include Las Vegas as that is Nevada.

Edited at 08:51 AM.
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Definitely stop in Yosemite. Its the most incredible place i have ever been.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List