Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Apr 18, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
a11mark
Imagineer

a11mark's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Magic Band for me, no need to take anything out, no apps to open, nothing to scroll and agree to. cool feature yes, but pointless when you already have a much simpler way
Old 4 Apr 18, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
grinner82
Imagineer

grinner82's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 19
Guidebook Photos: 83
Guidebook Reviews: 10
Great idea, added flexibility. There will always be some who don’t have a phone but a phone these days is as good as some expensive cameras, I can record in 4K 60 FPS so no need for a camcorder. I can see it linking to the app and being free. I agree that they will then change for magic bands, as there will be a free option. I would use both I imagine, embrace the future.
Old 4 Apr 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

They still need magic bands as in many families the children will not have their own phone, as such they need to have ways of those people using FP and so a little difficult to go backwards to cards.
Using your phone however would be very useful for all those confrences where people dont need park access etc, so yes would say Disney money on bands where not needed, and so maybe we will start to see a charge for a band.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

more of a pain having to get mobile out for me and log into app, so much easier to just use magic band which is on my wrist
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 18, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Lucyjane45xxx View Post
If you are American and have your magic band sent to you / if you are a guest returning who already have magic bands from a previous trip, you don't need to go to the front desk you can go straight to your room. They don't link them at the front desk, they are already assigned to your MDE and they just assign a room to you on MDE.

Guests with Magic Bands already, can already go straight to their rooms and bypass check-in as your room number now shows on MDE.
The first post says, "Arriving travel parties that have checked in online may even use their digital key to bypass the need to visit the front desk". Which implies that currently guests have to visit the front desk on arrival.

However, you're saying that currently American guests don't need to go to the front desk anyway if they already have their MagicBands? So, having this digital key doesn't seem to add any extra benefit other than providing a different way to open your door.

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Like a previous poster, I suspect this is the start of phasing out free bands for onsite guests.
Except the main benefit of a MagicBand is convenience. It's just there on your wrist and is more convenient than the old days of getting a ticket out of your pocket, wallet or handbag. Having to have your mobile phone in your pocket or hand bag seems like a backwards step.

Also, the MagicBands are waterproof. Will people have to take their smartphones with them to the waterparks?

Will this allow people to charge purchases to their room using a smartphone? Will the smartphone be somehow scanned every time you get an ice cream to reduce the number of snack credits you have?

Will everyone in your party have to have their own smartphone, including your 3 year old child and your 93 year old grandparent? Currently, everyone gets a MagicBand to scan at the entrance to get into the parks. They also have to scan their fingers. What happens if someone in your party doesn't have a smartphone or didn't bring it with them on holiday? Or will Disney just go back to giving everyone a plastic ticket like the old days?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 18, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
inline imageWalt Disney World has announced that keyless entry is coming to Walt Disney World resorts. With the first resort to see the new 'Digital Key' feature being Disney’s Wilderness Lodge.

The My Disney Experience app will allow guests to quickly unlock their hotel room using a digital key on their mobile devices, providing them with another seamless room entry option that brings added ease and flexibility to their experience.

Guests can also use their digital key to unlock the hotel entrance gate and common area doors requiring a key, which may include pools, fitness centers, elevators and club level lounges. Arriving travel parties that have checked in online may even use their digital key to bypass the need to visit the front desk, giving them the opportunity to go directly to their room when it is ready and start their vacation even faster.

To enable the use of this new “digital key,” guests will have to activate the feature at check-in through the app.

First, room entry has been "keyless" for a few years now, so "keyless" entry isn't new. People have been able to enter their room using their MagicBand, rather than a key, for the last few years. I think what they might mean is "remote entry" is coming to Walt Disney World resorts, not "keyless"? (Although the picture shows someone holding their phone right next to the door, so no more remote than using a MagicBand really).

Second, it says "keyless" but then goes on about needing a "digital key". So, is it keyless or do you need a (digital) key?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:33 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 18, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

I haven't used a key at Disney for years...

This story is misleading... It should be "Disney using mobile phones for room entry" not going keyless. Magic bands and room card before hand weren't keys.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 18, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by bighal View Post
I haven't used a key at Disney for years...

This story is misleading... It should be "Disney using mobile phones for room entry" not going keyless. Magic bands and room card before hand weren't keys.
Actually, reading the Disney article on this, it doesn't say that keyless entry is new. It says, "The feature represents the latest evolution of keyless room entry, which we began offering with the MagicBand...". Other websites are also saying this is another digital key method of opening the door in addition to MagicBands.

So, in fairness to Disney, it's the DIBB's interpretation of the original article that's misleading.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 5 Apr 18, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Except the main benefit of a MagicBand is convenience. It's just there on your wrist and is more convenient than the old days of getting a ticket out of your pocket, wallet or handbag. Having to have your mobile phone in your pocket or hand bag seems like a backwards step.

Also, the MagicBands are waterproof. Will people have to take their smartphones with them to the waterparks?

Will this allow people to charge purchases to their room using a smartphone? Will the smartphone be somehow scanned every time you get an ice cream to reduce the number of snack credits you have?

Will everyone in your party have to have their own smartphone, including your 3 year old child and your 93 year old grandparent? Currently, everyone gets a MagicBand to scan at the entrance to get into the parks. They also have to scan their fingers. What happens if someone in your party doesn't have a smartphone or didn't bring it with them on holiday? Or will Disney just go back to giving everyone a plastic ticket like the old days?
My key word was free bands Nimbus. I elaborated in a later post that I don't think MBs are going anywhere, but Disney only hand them out for free as they have no alternative. Because offsite guests don't have MBs, everything else property wide is already set to function without them so no change there. It's only the hotel doors that were fully switched over.

I would bet on bookings becoming along the lines of "Access your room for free via the app, or pay $9.99 for a MB which also gives you these benefits..."
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
My key word was free bands Nimbus. I elaborated in a later post that I don't think MBs are going anywhere, but Disney only hand them out for free as they have no alternative. Because offsite guests don't have MBs, everything else property wide is already set to function without them so no change there. It's only the hotel doors that were fully switched over.

I would bet on bookings becoming along the lines of "Access your room for free via the app, or pay $9.99 for a MB which also gives you these benefits..."
Disney has always had an alternate to magicbands aka the old room keys and all current ticket media. Any ticket media can open room doors if they are associated with a MDE account of a guest.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List