Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 8 May 18, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
If you've not been to WDW before and you are visiting central Florida for the first time, then I think it is absolutely worth it.

Who knows what lies in the future, so take the chance to visit the best family holiday destination above all others.

Your kids will love you forever!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mole83 View Post
me personally, no its not! but i'm a boring 30 something bloke.

I get the whole magic kingdom for the kids, but the other parks i don't see the point in personally. But its each to their own...
I'm a 40-something bloke and I enjoy all the parks. But that's by-the-by.

However, the point I want to make is that Magic Kingdom isn't just for kids. Adults can, and most do, enjoy it as well. Similarly kids can, and do, enjoy the other 3 parks.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
D15ney72
Serious Dibber

I think it probably depends on how much time you plan to spend in the Disney Parks. I actually think the 14 day Ultimate tickets are fantastic value when you consider how much you are actually paying per day to visit 4 Theme Parks and 2 Water Parks as often as you want. In addition to the rides, there are fantastic shows, amazing nightly fireworks and just so much to see and do. *But* we stay onsite and get the most out of our tickets. If we were staying offsite (as we have done once before) and only planning to visit the Disney Parks a few times over a 2 week period, the value for money would diminish.
D15ney72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Pantaloons
slightly serious Dibber

As an experience - Absolutely. No other holiday compares to it. Would I want to go every year - No.

Ive wanted to go to Disney my whole life. My parents could never afford the costs, so at age 30, myself and my gf took ourselves on the most expensive holiday we have ever been on. We came back with memories that were unforgettable, and also with an engagement ring.

Absolutely nothing out there compares to Disney / Universal as a holiday. Everything about it is out of this world and a whole other level of imagination translated into reality.

Id love to be able to financially go on an annual basis - but realistically I dont think id want to. At present, my fiancee and I will likely leave it for another 4 or 5yrs before going back - to see the new parks, extensions etc.

What id love to know is, do people who spend 5-10x more on accommodation really get 5-10x the benefits.
For us, All Stars was the cheapest option on Disney property, and we used it exclusively for sleeping (and hiding from a hurricane) - but id love to know, would I have had a different holiday staying in the Contemporary etc) Im not so sure
Pantaloons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarahsmiler
New Poster (3)

First time poster, long time reader. I agree with the pp who said that a few years ago, yes but now, no. I went myself as a child/teenager three times in the late 80s and early 90s. I took my young boys in 2007 and in Oct 2017 we went again with 7 yo daughter in tow.

Let's just say that I was flabbergasted at the overcrowding. Magic Kingdom was unbelievably busy, and that's not hyperbole. It was unpleasant and not fun with so many people. The park is run down and I think it now only draws such crowds due to the cult like following of the Disney brand. My 7yo did an hour and wanted to go back to the pool.

Hollywood studios was like I remember it from 20 years ago, total waste of money. I paid thousands for my family of five... I was so angry that as soon as I got back to the hotel I googled thinking it can't possibly be just me. I came across a theory that the increasing prices are designed to out price people thus reducing the crowds. I don't know if that's true. It's a totally different experience that it was 30 years ago...and even 10 years ago it wasn't that busy.

Florida is a wonderful destination for a family holiday, but I won't ever visit Disney again.
Sarahsmiler is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Yes, it is eye wateringly expensive we also have four kids and the cost this year I have had to keep to myself for fear my husband will keel over. Is it worth it? a million percent yes, from the planning to revealing it to the kids there is no other holiday that is quite like it, we are so excited here and we still have the best part of 100 days to go and when you are there I think it is amazing Disney haven't spared any expense, the rides, the shows, the fireworks it is a real immersive feeling and holiday and you are entertained from dawn to dusk if you can manage it it is a really special time for us a family together
YOLO x
Old 8 May 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by neatfrk View Post
This is truly a tricky question! You will no doubt get a diverse range of responses. Should be an interesting thread.

At the heart of the matter is personal preference towards value. Value is situational, and each individual person (and family) decides independently what return from the parks, accommodations, attractions, dining, experiences, etc. exceeds whatever it cost them to visit (in time, money and energy).

For me and my family, sadly the answer is now no. Disney is no longer worth it for us. Ask me 5-6 years ago...I would have been an evangelist and passionately convincing you that WDW is the best option for family vacations for a variety of exciting reasons. Nowadays though, I warn people to avoid WDW - or do my best to help prepare hopeless first timers that ask for advice (yes...I'm the office 'Disney guy').

Over the last decade, my family has been fortunate to visit many times - and I think because of our frequent visits spread over a long period of time the downward trend in service and overall experience at WDW is painfully obvious.

Everyone's mileage will vary - and that's the beauty of personal choice in where to spend discretionary holiday cash. For me though, my most recent trip to WDW was the last for many years to come. I left at peace with the memories, but very also sad seeing what is happening with overcrowding, crazy FP+ driven waits on lessor attractions, dumbed-down menus, up-charges for virtually everything, reduced EMHs, run down rides and the general six-months-ahead-of-time nonsense that must be endured to secure free dining, premium FP+s, etc. The 'work' (and it really has become work) to book and optimize a Disney vacation just is not worth it any longer. For me, it isn't even purely a cost factor. Sure it is expensive - but if the vacation was mostly enjoyable, I could easily justify the spend. The reality these days is that the parks themselves are not nearly as enjoyable as they once were. Blame the crowds, lack of new innovation, FP+ system, continued conversion of what used to be 'free' over to hard ticket (the list goes on)...it isn't just one particular thing; it is the blending of many many things that have negatively impacted the actual park experience (in my view).

There are plenty of other options out there - and once we broke from the Disney bubble we realized how much we enjoy traveling elsewhere, taking cruises all over, and the advantages of Universal for our Florida fix should we need one.

Rant over...just my opinion...as promised 'your mileage may vary'. If you made it this far, thanks for listening to my opinions!
These are our feelings precisely.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MargateDave
A Guest at All-Stars

def woth it wiv kids but food int parks can be a rate bag of...
MargateDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Jacko007
Earning More Ears

Some great, mixed answers so far.

To try not to repeat things already said I think it's about making happy memories that are hard to replicate elsewhere - but you need to make sure it's the right holiday for you.

- Do you actually like theme parks - my whole family does and I can imagine that makes a huge difference. Have you tried, Alton Towers, Paultons Park, Thorpe Park, Chessington, Legoland, dare I say DisneyLand Paris, etc?

- Do you like Disney films and cartoons? From Snow White to Marvel & Star Wars

- Would you like to holiday in USA - try the food, do some shopping, meet real Americans (and a lot of Brits to be fair)?

- Do you wish you could do more experiences together with the whole family? ie not having everyone sitting by a pool on phones/tablets, do you hate each other
Jacko007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
onetoescape
Excited about Disney

Yes and no as it’s not clear cut. If I had the choice for a couple of days I would choose universal if it’s the whole holiday more or less I would choose Disney. Having just come back disney is far ahead of universal. However universal is still good.
onetoescape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List