Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 14 May 18, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
leekerr79
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile Weather affecting parks

It’s meant to be very wet today
What’s everyone’s experience of the parks like this ? Do most rides still operate?
Working out how best to keep the feet dry in flip flops ha ha
leekerr79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Most of the rides and shows tend to stay open during wet weather. Some of the outdoor rides might close though. If there is a chance of lightning storms then this may close a few more rides.

We've been to the parks when it's been throwing down and has continued to rain all day (none of this "short downpour at 4pm" business). We just put on some ponchos and go for it.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 04:12 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Johngela13
Trainee Dibber

Hi there

We were at the parks in July last year when it rained for hours on end. Apart from some of the big out door coasters, most things stayed open. However they did cancel the Parade at Magic Kingdom due to the risk to staff from the thunder and lightening. At first it was announced as a delay so we sat there on the kerb, keeping our great spots, soaking wet in our ponchos. We were there for 90 mins before they announced it cancelled

At Universal they closed Rip Ride Rocket due to rain but other things only if there was thunder and lightening nearby. The pools also closed for thunder and lightening.

Still a great holiday but I was almost glad to get back to Aberdeen to dry off... and it's not often hear that said
Johngela13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom in particular are a lot of fun in the rain. Everyone will head for the exits with sustained rain and the brave soaked few who stay behind get rewarded with low waits.

Slap a poncho on...suck it up and enjoy the quiet yet soggy parks. I have wonderful memories of my daughter splashing around in puddles and thoroughly enjoying the rain while everyone else huddled in a gift shop waiting it out.

It's Florida... everything will dry out when the sun reappears.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We went first week in June last year when it tipped down. We barely got a day without fairly long periods of rain. Things only really closed when there were thunderstorms, its not great but having travelled all that distance we just got on with it.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
nquart
Very Serious Dibber

nquart's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
One of my favourite days last year was a wet day at AK, partly because we didn't need sun cream! it was still warm, DD and I had ponchos on, DH was happy to get wet. We sheltered when it was really bad but just carried on. The only downside was some of the outdoor character meets were cancelled, but not the end of the world.
nquart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Schualice
Trying for More Ears

Yes we are going in 10 days time and I am looking at the forecast which shows thundery spells at the moment and for the next week. What about shows at Seaworld, and perhaps MK, or AK? Will they still operate? Also are most rides at Epcot under cover and will they still be going?

Anyone know what happens at water parks, do they close rides or keep going when it rains?
Schualice is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
daftkast
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Originally Posted by Schualice View Post
Yes we are going in 10 days time and I am looking at the forecast which shows thundery spells at the moment and for the next week. What about shows at Seaworld, and perhaps MK, or AK? Will they still operate? Also are most rides at Epcot under cover and will they still be going?

Anyone know what happens at water parks, do they close rides or keep going when it rains?
Hello

We are going in a few days and have also been keeping a eye on the weather.

With regards your question. We went last May and was a washout for quite a few days. But the water parks will stay open if it rains. The only time they will Close is if there is lightning in the area. If this happens they get you out of the pools. Also lots of out door rides. Everest/splash and thunder mountains. 7dmt that sort of thing get shut down whilst lightning is in the area. When it clears the rides/pool are open again.
Sep 2004 - Residence Inn Sea World... May 2011 - Sunset Ridge Villa... May 2012 - Cape Coral - Villa... Oct 2013 - Hampton Lakes Villa... May 2015 - Pine Ridge Villa... May 2016 - Highlands Reserve Villa... May 2017 - Highlands Reserve Villa...May 2018 Highlands Reserve Villa...May 2019 Highlands Reserve Villa... May 2022 Highlands Reserve Villa
daftkast is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyF1rstT1me
slightly serious Dibber

My sister lives in New Jersey and is joining us for some of our second week when we move to a villa and she sent me a snapshot of the weather forecast for the next week which I wasn't too worried about. But now, reading the above comments, I'm starting to think it won't be the quick (20 mins or so) heavy showers that I'd anticipated but long days of rain. I live in Manchester, I get enough rain as it is! I really hope that last year's poor May weather - which I remember reading about after I'd just booked my holiday! - does not repeat all through our once in a lifetime holiday this year. It won't stop us from enjoying ourselves but it will probably take some of the magic away.
DisneyF1rstT1me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by DisneyF1rstT1me View Post
I live in Manchester, I get enough rain as it is!
A few things to note:

1. It will be warmer than Manchester even if it does rain. I've been stood in Aquatica in my shorts whilst it's been raining (admittedly it wasn't very heavy rain).
2. Manchester doesn't have theme parks like Disney, Universal, Seaworld, etc. And most of the attractions will still be operating whilst it's raining. There's stuff to do inside and under cover at the parks. It's better than being at home/work.
3. Sometimes the forecast is wrong. Back in 2014 when we visited in August, the forecast was for storms every day. We barely saw any rain and it was boiling.

Yes, if it ends up raining for several days whilst you're there then it's not great. Been there, done that. But there is absolutely nothing you can do about it - if it rains, it rains. Just prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:33 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List