Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 18 May 18, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
onetoescape
Excited about Disney

Gringotts and flight of the hipergriff might be the place to start then onto the mummy as a step up
onetoescape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by chickeninabun View Post
Thanks. The girls are 13 and 10 but I'm not sure how much they'd enjoy it.

Unfortunately we don't have enough internet to be able to watch YouTube at home . We have looked at a few before the internet ran out but didn't get through all of them. Will avoid Hulk and RR as I'm sure I'd be ill too.
I think that they are old enough to decide for themselves what they wish to go on. I did school trips to theme parks at that age, so no parental guidance was available and the teachers made themselves scarce too.

I think I have done most things at Universal with the exceptions of Doctor Doom, Hulk and Rip Rocket. I might try Hulk next time and maybe Doctor Doom, but I don't think I can get onto Rip Rocket because of that first climb.

I have never thought of the HP rides as being a coaster (other than the dragons). Gringotts to me is only one step ahead of a virtual reality ride as is Forbidden Journey. Some people get motion sickness on them though, as opposed to being terrified because of height / speed etc. Gringotts was my biggest disappointment ever, I thought they could have really done something with the journey to the vault, like in the film, but it was woeful.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Don't avoid anything on purpose. If they look and they don't want to do it, then fine. But I wouldn't say to deliberately avoid any of them.

I was dreading hulk and Rip Ride Rocket, I was grey incolour at the front of the queue. But I LOVED them.

Start with the Harry Potter ones and then work your way up
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When people are coming off these rides they are mostly smiling and laughing, show them this, there is nothing to be scared of.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
On the broader point we live in times of what I would call extreme weakness, safe spaces anyone? Fortunately people are waking up to this, so hopefully we can reverse the negative effects. So yes, I'm on the old school end of the argument, and I'm fairly sure you're not from the few conversations we've had, for example the conversation about understanding website data and more recently about costs of holidays. No sense in drilling into that, except to say that the desirability of outcomes is what motivates me. I'm Chomsky on this, not Sam Harris, if you get the reference
I have no idea what you are talking about.

What I saw is that you latched onto what was a positive chat with someone who would like to ride Skycoaster with what was a negative outlook. The person seemed positive with the discussion and I think they might really enjoy the ride. If I'm wrong I'm wrong... and I'll happily apologise if the outcome proves to be a negative one.
Ah, my reply was not to your post about the Skycoaster. In fact, I've only just gone back and read that post. I was replying to a comment you made before discussing Skycoasters with deanobrown.

I've nothing against trying to encourage people to try rides they haven't been on.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
bex85chelt
Excited about Disney

I know you asked about coaster specifically but i wanted to mention Dr Doom - i love the big rides and have done them all - but i found Dr Doom to be a bit much it was very extreme, my 14 yo niece changed her mind at the last second and she definitely made the right choice as she would of hated it i'm sure! Otherwise i agree with all the other advice to just go and see what they feel like they want to do on the day, last time i went was with my just 10 yo niece and the 14yo and they loved the likes of rockin rollercoaster / HTH . 10 yo didnt do dragon challenge but 14yo loved it. Hulk was closed but they both wanted to do it!

We also all decided not to do rip rocket due to the way your fastened in - just didnt seem secure enough and my step daughter made the fatal mistake of reading about some crash / malfunction on it so everyone said hell no to that one - maybe next time

Edited at 03:40 PM.
bex85chelt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsMoney
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by chickeninabun View Post
Thanks. The girls are 13 and 10 but I'm not sure how much they'd enjoy it.

Unfortunately we don't have enough internet to be able to watch YouTube at home . We have looked at a few before the internet ran out but didn't get through all of them. Will avoid Hulk and RR as I'm sure I'd be ill too.
My daughter loves Hulk! She is 14 now but first rode it at 11. She goes single rider (as does her dad) so they can ride it more frequently. My youngest and I stand sheepishly underneath just watching - he is too small to ride and I am just too scared
MrsMoney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Ah, my reply was not to your post about the Skycoaster. In fact, I've only just gone back and read that post. I was replying to a comment you made before discussing Skycoasters with deanobrown.

I've nothing against trying to encourage people to try rides they haven't been on.
All is good in the state of Denmark
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

My 10 year old is a bit of a feardy. He did rock and roller at Disney last year which was his first upside down coaster. He said he loved it but only did it the once.
He tried the mummy at universal and quite liked that. He was also a bit worried about the drop on Dudley do right but was keen to try it, he liked that too.
This year he has been watching pov videos on YouTube and says he is eager to try some of the bigger rides at Seaworld and Busch gardens.
At universal he says he’s doing doctor doom and considering hulk and rip ride. I doubt he will but we just let him watch them and them make up his own mind.
I think your girls should be fine with most things at universal except maybe the mummy, Doctor doom, rip ride and the hulk - I’d play those by ear.
Old 22 May 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Due to their ages, I'm guessing they are probably quite small. I am short (5ft) and petite and get thrown around on RRR - I come off with a headache. I still do it because I like the music element and DH (6ft 4...!) loves it. I've concluded that one of the main problems (as it happens on other similar coasters, too) is that there isn't a proper harness. i.e. it doesn't go around my shoulders and hold me in. Even though I'm never going to fall out, it makes me shuffle from side to side the whole time and isn't great. Hulk on the other hand has the proper restraints and is fine.
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List