Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 20 May 18, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
lil mousketeer
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FozzyB View Post
Just got off the Mummy, woman in front held her large smartphone whole way through videoing the ride. My daughter pointed this out to a cast member as we got off and he just told her to delete the video. They dived into rider swap after giving a load of backchat about there not being a problem. My daughter approached another cast member at the photo desk and identified the woman concerned and pointed out it wasn’t an issue of their videoing the ride, more an issue of what damage those sitting in front, or us behind, (ride goes backwards as well as forwards) might sustain from a flying phone at high speed! Got the impression they weren’t interested tbh. She muttered something about checking the ride video but they’d have child swapped and been long gone by then!

Honestly, what’s the point of us all having to rent a locker and deposit bags and stuff when someone thinks a smartphone missile is ‘no problem’? Huh! Rant over!
I completely agree with you, not on the mummy ride but on Spider-Man my DS was hit in the face by the lady’s sat next to him mobile phone. She was recording the ride and as the vehicle spun so did her arm. We got an apology from the lady but it left my DS with a very bloody nose. We didnt complain to staff as it was that’s lady’s responsibility to read the mandatory instructions for the ride. The staff at the ride exit we’re great at helping see to DS and even gave him a gift card for $5 which he promptly spent on ice cream.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday

Disney POFQ/Universal HRH Aug/Sept 2012
Disney AKL/Universal RPR Aug/Sept 2014
Orlando/St Petes Beach Aug/Sept 2015
Universal-HHN Cabana Bay Sept/Oct 2016
West Stonebridge (Dibb Villa) Aug/Sept 2017
lil mousketeer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
FozzyB
Trainee Dibber

Your poor son! Sorry to hear that. Just goes to show as Spider-Man isn’t a coaster as such, but it’s motion can still cause a nasty incident.

Given the speeds these rides go at, particularly the coasters like Mummy, Space M, Hulk, and former Dragon Challenge ride etc it gives any object extra weight due to the momentum, it’s easy to see how injuries can happen, and if the incident is serious enough it can spoil the ride long term if it’s modified or closed, or extend the wait for everyone if they reach the point of having to make this type of ride have lockers and scanners to stop this kind of thing. You only have to see what damage loose items in a car crash can do.

There are some good videos taken with proper securely harnessed gear, why would anyone want a blurry wobbly view of a roller coaster from their hand held, and risk smashing or losing their expensive phone, even if they don’t care about the consequences for everyone else?

As mentioned before, we got a lot of sass and backchat, so strikes me she couldn’t give a damn either way. My daughter stood her ground but the universal staff really didn’t seem bothered and the girl who said they’d check their video was very offhand so I expect that never happened.

Luckily we met some great people in ride queues and around the parks, some lovely cast members, so the good folk outweighed the occasional idiot and the staff who couldn’t be bothered.

Talking of flying objects on coasters makes me think of the time some years ago when a guy on row in front of my husband threw up on a coaster at Busch Gardens, forget which ride, it was one of the suspended type and going at full pelt. Let’s say there were a queue of people in the toilets trying to wash their clothes out, including my husband. Gross. Now he usually waits to try to get front row on the bigger coasters, he says it’s for the better experience but I think there’s more to it?! Lol.
FozzyB is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FozzyB View Post
My daughter stood her ground but the universal staff really didn’t seem bothered and the girl who said they’d check their video was very offhand so I expect that never happened.
well, it's fairly understandable.

it's not that they don't care (well, it is partly) but it's also because it's just not *worth it*
by the time they review the video or take any action (and what actions ?), the idiot guests are long gone, they have enjoyed their ride and you haven't, and in the end you're still the one stuck at the attraction ... so that's a no win situation.

there is also the fact that if a guest is mouthy and shows sign that they might get in confrontational situations (what is called "guest situations" in Disney Speech), the Team Member or Cast Member will try to let it go, especially if the disruptive guest is going away.
Getting into an argument with that guest, could result in an even greater disruption, which might ultimately cause delays for the whole ride and those on it or waiting for it.

I fairly understand where you're coming from because I'm always fuming at those who flash photograph on dark rides, those who still selfy stick in the parks, those who ... grrrrr I could go on forever ...
but ... think about it ... they let the idiot guest get away with it and leave the building ... you're frustrated but case closed ... now, let's imagine they confront the idiot guest and things go sour ... and the TMs have to stop the ride because team members need to come to the rescue before security arrives ... rides stops ... hundreds of guests are frustrated ...

that's the reason why Team Members and Cast Members will try to avoid *guest situations* as much as they can, even if it might lead some other guests to think that they don't care. (and in the end, they don't care, because they know there is nothing they really can do about it)
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
FozzyB
Trainee Dibber

I can understand that. It’s just that it’s posted on rides that failure to comply with rules can lead to being removed from the park, they had an opportunity to stick by their stated rules, or at least issue a warning about safety as she was right there with a cast member in front of her on exiting the ride and going to child swap, and all that was said was to delete the video, no mention of safety, just protecting the images of the ride?

Managing guests and any incidents is smart, to reduce any conflict and delays to others, but she was left thinking rules are flexible in her direction and we were being petty. I think a quiet word about the risks was the least to expect? She may not have considered that aspect? Because we pointed her out at the photo desk before she came out of child swap they had chance to take her to one side quietly rather than confront directly at the ride exit.

She will undoubtedly think she can do this again so I hope either next time she is warned, or it all goes by without incident and doesn’t harm anyone and spoil their day. If her phone could fall and not harm anyone, I think I’d consider the matter squared up?
Old 21 May 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Dreaming
Getting Excited

Dreaming's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

And to think when we were at universal last year my partner had to take he’s watch off his wrist on most rides! Can’t beleive someone would take their phone on! 😕
2000 - DLP on-site, 2002 - Florida Villa Park, 2004 - Best western (Birthday Surprise!), 2005 - DLP off-site, 2006 - Christmas at Legacy Park, 2008 - Highlands reserve, 2010 - High Grove, 2013 - WDW 13 of us and a wedding!, 2015 - Taking the partner for their first time, Mabella South, 2017 - Parents beautiful wedding! Providence/Tuscan Hills, 2018 - DLP in summer!, 2019 - our wedding! 💓
Dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

I think the locker rules on The Mummy as less strict than some other rides. I know they don't insist on phones being put in Lockers, just bags. When I went on the ride in December I realized myself and DD still had phones in pockets after putting the bag in the locker and asked a cast member as we entered and they said it was OK.

Phone stayed securely zipped in pockets all ride though - holding a phone and filming is dangerous and the team at Universal should have put a stop to that!
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Northtim View Post
I think the locker rules on The Mummy as less strict than some other rides. I know they don't insist on phones being put in Lockers, just bags. When I went on the ride in December I realized myself and DD still had phones in pockets after putting the bag in the locker and asked a cast member as we entered and they said it was OK.

Phone stayed securely zipped in pockets all ride though - holding a phone and filming is dangerous and the team at Universal should have put a stop to that!
And actually on the Mummy and also forbidden journey, bum bags are ok so we always take those to universal so we don't need to get a locker every 3 seconds.
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
lolalolo86
Imagineer

I've been on JP twice where someone got told off over the tannoy to put their phone away.

Surprised someone would even try to on the mummy to be honest!
lolalolo86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie_Mac
Earning My Ears

I filmed on a GoPro attached to my wrist on JP last time we were there.

I like to capture my children's faces rather than a view of the ride, its not in anyone's way and its attached securely. I think that is the beauty of the technology now that you can capture these moments and doesn't bother me when others want to do the same.
Minnie_Mac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
FozzyB
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

We’ve sometimes realised we have a phone or glasses with us after putting bags in the locker, and have secured stuff in zipped shorts pockets. Just have to take care not to crush my glasses when getting in the ride vehicle! Lockers are a pain, the ones at gringotts ride were chaotic and there was a tide of people going in one direction off the ride and a tide of those trying to get their bags locked up to go on the ride, it was a mess because it’s quite a tight space unlike some lockers where it is more open and there are multiple entrance and exit points.

My daughter has a go pro, she filmed us walking round the parks but didn’t take it on rides as she doesn’t have a harness/strap. We did a mini review of drinking round the world at Epcot for our own amusement, not for You Tube. What people do or don’t record is the park’s rules, they can deal with the management of that, it’s the safety aspect that was our issue.

Had a reply from universal apologising, they say they will bring it to the attention of the Mummy ride team. So I guess that’s something.