Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Dec 16, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
kaboomba
Imagineer

Walt Disney World with a Toddler

hi! we have just booked our first trip to WDW for September next year and this will be my little boys first trip and our first trip with a child, we've only ever gone with adults before. What are your best tips for travelling and doing WDW with a 17 month old?
kaboomba is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 16, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
nursielynz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

In my opinion don't do full days in the parks, we tended to do parks in the morning till dinner time, then hotel till evening then maybe back to the parks in the evening,

Take it at a slow pace do t rush around trying to do lots
2022 Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2024 Port Orleans Riverside
nursielynz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 16, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We took our 2 year old in 2013 and he was brilliant, however he has always been well behaved, he slept at times in his pram but other than that we carried on with our day as usual. I wouldn't hesitate taking a toddler again.they are entertained all day and is better than running round a pool holiday any day of the week
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 16, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
grinner82
Imagineer

grinner82's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 19
Guidebook Photos: 83
Guidebook Reviews: 10
DS was 22 months and was fine, obviously a pushchair was required, but we did not feel limited and that we had to go at a slower pace, as he was just pushed around. He slept quite a bit due to the heat but it was no problem.

Keep them well hydrated and offer snacks through out the day. We also got a UV sun hood that attached to the standard hood, this cast a shadow over the leg area and provide a cooler environment.

They tend to get a bit grumps coming back in the evening when you remove them from the pushchair but thats to be expected really.
Old 22 Dec 16, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mysteryjimbo
Imagineer

We've always done long mornings and taken an afternoon break for a nap or just some chill time. Works wonders with the kids whilst they are younger.

The evenings will be more enjoyable.

Don't worry about "strollers". You can rent from a company or buy locally. WDW even sell budget ones.
Old 22 Dec 16, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

I agree with Grinner82. UV hood/cover for pushchair a good investment. naps in the pushchair and ice cream seemed to do the trick when we went with my daughter at 2.5 and her cousin just under 2. Has your little one ever seen any sort of mascot type thing? My daughter absolutely loved and believed in the characters - and that made it our best ever Disney trip to see her wonder of it - but her cousin was very scared of the characters. Have a great trip
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 16, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

Go for it and enjoy as Disneyworld is a special place to go with babies and toddlers
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 16, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
kaboomba
Imagineer

Thanks folks! I think resting in the afternoon is key. My hubby has a conference in Bo a Raon for the first few days so hoping that'll get him over the jet lag before we hit Orlando. Planning on a trip to Walmart to buy a cheap pushchair good dip on the UV shade too will add it to the list ☺
kaboomba is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 16, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

With a 17 month old I would be bringing a stroller with you. Most airlines don't charge anyway and we found it a 100% necessity in the airport until far older than that. It is useful for the hand luggage even if the child is walking.
Old 23 Dec 16, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Our DS was 20 months and we had a great time. He loved meeting the characters.
Take lots of snacks and drinks. Don't plan too much each day just see how you get on. We had very early mornings and early nights.