Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Jun 17, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by theriler View Post
We're also taking our son just before his 2nd birthday in November and have decided to pay for a seat for him for our own, and his, comfort. Has anyone else done this and know whether a car seat is a requirement when having an infant in a seat? BA's website contradicts itself between saying its our choice and its a requirement and we've had several different answers when phoning them up.
I believe it's a requirement under 2 as they're not big enough to be properly restrained by a lap belt. I took a seat for my 2 year old (26 months) at the start of the month and it was the best thing we did as she was safely restrained when required. It's really uncommon though so there's not much information out there.

I have found that it works best to go with their interests rather than what works for other people. I saw a tip last year to take bath toys as they're small and light, plus it gives something for the bath while you're away. We took headphones this time and she watched far too much on the ife but at least it was stress free!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 17, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyismybff
Excited about Disney

We've done a lot of long haul flights (not all Disney, sadly!) with my son starting at 6 months and he's now three and a bit years. Remember above all that if you stay calm, it won't be a nightmare. They definitely need to see you treating this as perfectly normal.

Pack a special bag that is half things your child already knows and loves and half new surprise things. Under 2, I packed one old and one new per half hour of flight time; post 2 he had more concentration so I went to one old and one new per hour. (A little way off for you, but once they love Lego, a little Disney Lego set can be packed in a bento box and you can build them together! Duplo is bulkier though.) Stickers, colouring book and crayons or coloured pencils, those magic colouring books where they just need the one pen and all the colours come up can save you from tracking down a set of 24 crayons from the floor of the plane.

Yes to snacks but beware of how your child reacts to sugar, in case one too many tiny boxes of raisins is likely to lead to either a need to run like a small puppy or too many nappy changes.

Pack Piriton if any of you ever react to anything. If only for the peace of mind! Plus Calpol or your preferred magical elixir of minor ailments. (I just buy both in Boots once we've gone through security.)

Pack a change of clothes for all of you, not just the small one. Also at least two muslins and some big plastic zip bags. Let's not go into why I know this. And put all of you in comfy things so you don't have awkward buckles pinching or whatever. My 3 year old still prefers to fly in pjs and I just go with it.

And then just remember it's all temporary and you'll be out of the tin box shortly really! Don't worry about very strict things you might keep to at home. The only rule is there are no rules so on the plane I will allow the same cartoon episode six times in a row when at home that's a nope and at home I wouldn't give in to a whiny voice but I am not getting into a battle of wills at 30,000 feet. I just stay calm and if necessary put on my most sickly sweet voice, and do whatever will get us through easily.

You will be awesome, don't worry!

Edited at 09:08 PM. Reason: Argh typos.
mickeyismybff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 17, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post

I've had to fly long-haul with my DS since he was 7 weeks old. I think you are in the trickiest time - because your wee lad wants to be up and around - and is really too young to show much interest in the IFE. My son didn't want to know about the IFE/wear headphones until he was four.

One thing we DID do was keep DS on his (English) schedule for flight day. So at his normal nap time (which for us was about two hours into the flight) we did all the things we typically did at home pre-nap (read a book, sang his nap time song) and then laid him down with his head on my leg. And he would sleep. To me, keeping as much as possible "the same" was enormously helpful.

And yes - DH spent many an hour walking with DS up and down the aisles. If someone gives you a look - remember: they've either HAD a child or BEEN a child. You have nothing to apologise for - try not to fret.
Old 28 Jun 17, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
kaboomba
Imagineer

Thanks for all the lovely advice! Lots of notes taken, created a little shopping list 😊
kaboomba is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 17, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post

We have a 6 and a 2 yr old, we go to pound land (!) before the flight and get them 6/7 little treats, from colouring books to cars, and wrap them up. Then each hour they get a new present... keeps them happy and occupied...
Old 29 Jun 17, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Lilyrose
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Snacks, snack and more snacks, especially fiddly ones that take ages to eat!

You will be walking up and down the aisle a lot too.

Playdoh, duplo, board books. Baby games on an iPad? Then more snacks and aisle walking in my experience!
Old 29 Jun 17, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Gav
slightly serious Dibber

I'd say if you KNOW he won't sit on your lap it's very much worth considering getting a seat. It will make your life a lot easier.

We took our daughter just shy of her 2nd birthday and we luckily got given the middle seat as the flight wasn't full. The first thing both of us said was "thank goodness we got that spare seat" as it gave us a lot more space and allowed us to relax when she was sitting playing with all the new toys we had bought for her.

As for walking up and down the plane... go for it. Older folk like entertainment too and I find wee kids toddling up and down the place exploring quite funny. Most people will interact at some point.
Gav is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 17, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Bestbubba
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickeyismybff View Post
We've done a lot of long haul flights (not all Disney, sadly!) with my son starting at 6 months and he's now three and a bit years. Remember above all that if you stay calm, it won't be a nightmare. They definitely need to see you treating this as perfectly normal.

Pack a special bag that is half things your child already knows and loves and half new surprise things. Under 2, I packed one old and one new per half hour of flight time; post 2 he had more concentration so I went to one old and one new per hour. (A little way off for you, but once they love Lego, a little Disney Lego set can be packed in a bento box and you can build them together! Duplo is bulkier though.) Stickers, colouring book and crayons or coloured pencils, those magic colouring books where they just need the one pen and all the colours come up can save you from tracking down a set of 24 crayons from the floor of the plane.

Yes to snacks but beware of how your child reacts to sugar, in case one too many tiny boxes of raisins is likely to lead to either a need to run like a small puppy or too many nappy changes.

Pack Piriton if any of you ever react to anything. If only for the peace of mind! Plus Calpol or your preferred magical elixir of minor ailments. (I just buy both in Boots once we've gone through security.)

Pack a change of clothes for all of you, not just the small one. Also at least two muslins and some big plastic zip bags. Let's not go into why I know this. And put all of you in comfy things so you don't have awkward buckles pinching or whatever. My 3 year old still prefers to fly in pjs and I just go with it.

And then just remember it's all temporary and you'll be out of the tin box shortly really! Don't worry about very strict things you might keep to at home. The only rule is there are no rules so on the plane I will allow the same cartoon episode six times in a row when at home that's a nope and at home I wouldn't give in to a whiny voice but I am not getting into a battle of wills at 30,000 feet. I just stay calm and if necessary put on my most sickly sweet voice, and do whatever will get us through easily.

You will be awesome, don't worry!

Just loved reading this. We're grandparents now and magically, my grandkids are 10 times easier than my children were at the same age
Bestbubba is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List