Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Apr 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Wereallmadhere View Post
I am going back and forth thinking about our August trip. There are so many things that have to happen or could go wrong. We are going for 3 weeks doing a split stay between Disney and Universal resorts. Will the FCO travel advice change. Will flights go. Will we be let in even if they are. Will the parks be open? I would not want to go if the parks aren't open , what would be the point of staying onsite? The whole point of paying a huge amount to stay onsite was for the whole bubble experience, and extra benefits. I wouldn't have paid that amount of money to sit by a pool for 3 weeks. Also add in that our ETSA has been cancelled as we filled in the API ,so I take it we would need to re apply for that. Travel insurance wise we are hoping we would be ok as paid extra for travel disruption cover, but am worried as we did a DIY booking so will have to deal with a number of companies _ ATD, Netflights etc.

Its horrid, I know I shouldn't feel this way as there are worse things in the world, but it's really sad that we should be getting excited and getting ready to book fastpasses ,but have a dark cloud over it all.

Doesn't help when you read loads of stuff saying how selfish people are still wanting to go on holiday and who cares if you loose the money, as it was already spent..but when you have been planning and saving for years,the idea of losing £10k or not getting the trip you planned for is upsetting, no matter how selfish that makes me
I don’t think it’s selfish- we live for our holidays as we work very hard, pay our taxes.

Priority for me is families’ health, then financial health and then my holidays in this crisis.

I can do without the holidays at the moment but it doesn’t mean it’s not near the top of my priorities but only after the other two. The other two may of course effect the holidays and in importance terms, holidays is a distant third, but it’s still third.

All I know is that when I eventually do get back, even if it’s 18 months to 2 years, it will taste very sweet indeed.
Old 13 Apr 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

I am going back and forth thinking about our August trip. There are so many things that have to happen or could go wrong. We are going for 3 weeks doing a split stay between Disney and Universal resorts. Will the FCO travel advice change. Will flights go. Will we be let in even if they are. Will the parks be open? I would not want to go if the parks aren't open , what would be the point of staying onsite? The whole point of paying a huge amount to stay onsite was for the whole bubble experience, and extra benefits. I wouldn't have paid that amount of money to sit by a pool for 3 weeks. Also add in that our ETSA has been cancelled as we filled in the API ,so I take it we would need to re apply for that. Travel insurance wise we are hoping we would be ok as paid extra for travel disruption cover, but am worried as we did a DIY booking so will have to deal with a number of companies _ ATD, Netflights etc.

Its horrid, I know I shouldn't feel this way as there are worse things in the world, but it's really sad that we should be getting excited and getting ready to book fastpasses ,but have a dark cloud over it all.

Doesn't help when you read loads of stuff saying how selfish people are still wanting to go on holiday and who cares if you loose the money, as it was already spent..but when you have been planning and saving for years,the idea of losing £10k or not getting the trip you planned for is upsetting, no matter how selfish that makes me
On balance of probability I think it's safe to assume that if the flights are on then the parks will be open. Quite what that will look like who knows?

Sounds like the parks will not be as busy as in previous years, at least based on thedibb polls, so could be a good time to visit from a crowd perspective.

Whatever happens, you can bet if they are open, then the big 3 (Disney, Universal, SW) will make the experience as enjoyable as possible.

It's not selfish to want to go on holiday. If FCO advice has changed, and flights are on, then the UK/US governments have deemed it safe enough to travel, and the virus risk mitigated due to reason(s) x,y,z.

There's a shed load of speculation on here and in the media, but the reality is no-one knows what will happen. All we have are facts - we have a holiday booked with valid insurance for August. It will either go ahead because it's safe to do so or at least the risk is minimal, or it won't. In which case we get the money back and go another time.

We booked DIY too, but I've checked every aspect from first night Premier Inn, Parking, flights, car hire, accommodation, park tickets, clearwater cruise, and all can be recouped either directly or via CC.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Why do you think you wont be insured?
My insurance would cover me for Covid19 as long as the FCO say it is OK to travel.
It depends on the insurance cover you have.
Our insurance company said so - American express - I suppose it depend on which one you've got and what level of cover you've got.

I know that if you don't have insurance now and want to get new cover, it wont cover you. So if you have annual cover that ends in July and you travel in August, the new policy wont cover it. That's the line i've seen and heard from many people.
Old 13 Apr 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

I feel your pain - it's horrible - the build up and planning is part of the magic and experience for us and with all of the things that you mention above, it just takes it all away. We were due to stay at Poly & AKL for 2 weeks but if like you say, we're just sat at the pool then we're spending a huge amount of money for a pretty basic experience.

That's why we cancelled - we just cant be doing with the constant stress of not knowing what's going to happen and the inevitability that the holiday that we want/were planning, isn't going to be anything like what we would likely experience.
Old 13 Apr 20, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LawrenceFamily View Post
Our insurance company said so - American express - I suppose it depend on which one you've got and what level of cover you've got.

I know that if you don't have insurance now and want to get new cover, it wont cover you. So if you have annual cover that ends in July and you travel in August, the new policy wont cover it. That's the line i've seen and heard from many people.
But you were telling someone else that they wouldn't be insured? And making a general point that we would have no insurance?

Also, some on here have been given insurance that covers the medical aspects of CV19, but not the cancellation cover.

Also, when existing annual cover renews - there are still questions outstanding as to what will be covered or not.

There is no one rule fits all here. No generalisations can be made.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

I think everything will open over phases.
Disney will want to ensure it's completely safe (not about to be sued are they?) then I also think staffing will be a problem, especially at Epcot if all of the countries employees went home (or had to due to visas) then crowd control and probably still trying to enforce some sort of distancing? No, I don't know how they would do that, but according to the news we are due to a second wave of this, we as in the world.
I am due there in september and have only just this wk end thought that maybe this is not going to happen
I have rented DVC points to spend a week at Boardwalk, ticked off bucket list. Unfortunately with the contact I have had so far with Davids Vacation Rental is not sounding promising, I keep be quoted the "non-refundable" bit. Even though it may well be out of my hands!
I am now at the point do I actually want to go? first time ever if it can be cancelled and refunded I will be happy and will look forward to an extra special trip next year.
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

We have a trip booked in October not USA but Greece for daughters Wedding. Who knows what's going to happen we are due to pay our balance in July which we will do and if we can travel we will if not hopefully we can reschedule. It's not selfish at all to still want your holiday although everyones health comes first we all booked and paid before all this happened.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Nanny View Post
I have rented DVC points to spend a week at Boardwalk, ticked off bucket list. Unfortunately with the contact I have had so far with Davids Vacation Rental is not sounding promising, I keep be quoted the "non-refundable" bit. Even though it may well be out of my hands!.
If you can’t travel and don’t get an immediate refund, I’d ask for them to put a request in to the owner. I have some reservations for guests over Christmas and would not refund as it would be too late to bank the points. However, if I could bank then I would be inclined to do so to help the guest out.

You could also potentially ask for a partial refund if that doesn’t work. At least gives the owner a chance to re-rent to a local customer who may be in a better position to travel.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I'm selfish for still wanting to go?
Egon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
KBRB
slightly serious Dibber

We are booked in October. Even if it’s open it’s hard to justify for us. My son is severely disabled and will happily touch everything to gain sensory feedback. I couldn’t live on tender hooks for 2 weeks every time I go on a ride or open a door get on a bus. There are thousands of other people touching the same stuff daily.

We have paid for our flights which I accept will be lost money. Lucky we have only paid our deposit on the hotel and tickets.

Hopefully a vaccine is speedy and we can get back next year
KBRB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List