Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Jul 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Mind if I hop on this thread?

One of the things that put me off was the home charging station. Did you have one already or have to install. I have read horror stories of high costs (esp if you need to have an external lockable one which we might need).

I have been looking at the Prius, need to do some boot space surveys!
I'm no expert (as I think I am about to prove) but I thought Hybrids charged from the engine rather than the house.
Old 1 Jul 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I'm no expert (as I think I am about to prove) but I thought Hybrids charged from the engine rather than the house.
I have no doubt you are right and I am.mixing apples and pears.
I should go back to the drawing board and just look for something with wheels 😳😂
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Mind if I hop on this thread?

One of the things that put me off was the home charging station. Did you have one already or have to install. I have read horror stories of high costs (esp if you need to have an external lockable one which we might need).

I have been looking at the Prius, need to do some boot space surveys!
My Toyota CHR is a self charging hybrid, so runs on normal petrol and then its own battery, which charges as you drive. No charging station needed.

You'd never notice it was any different to a normal car, or notice it switch from petrol to its battery power. Love it.

DH and I have two cars and switched mine to a self charging hybrid as we wanted to see if we like it before moving to one car in a few years time. Both really like it.

Personally we don't think we're at any point yet where we live, for a fully electric needing to be plugged in car. Certainly where we live.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Size of the IoM you could look at a full electric rather than a hybrid I would have thought.

A small SUV with one of the longest ranges is the Hyundai Kona.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Size of the IoM you could look at a full electric rather than a hybrid I would have thought.

A small SUV with one of the longest ranges is the Hyundai Kona.
We do a fair number of trips to the UK, and this is our only car. I can also do a lot of driving in a day for work, and public charging ports are rare here. We need to have a backup. Plus, there aren't any full electric cars I actually like.
Old 1 Jul 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DrMagical
Excited about Disney

'Self charging hybrid' is a very clever marketing deception coined by Toyota which makes a lot of EV owners sick into their mouths. Basically they are petrol charging hybrids. The only energy source entering the car is petrol, so basically burning petrol to charge a battery to turn the wheels. Sadly people fall for it and believe there is some sort of energy creation going on (breaking the 1st law of thermodynamics! ). I had a CHR previously and got 56 mpg which is probably less than the normal petrol version would manage as not carrying around the weight of 2 engines and a battery pack.

A PHEV is a plug in hybrid. Charge it at a plug socket and run off electric only power until you run out of electrons then petrol takes over. Advantages are for short journeys you are using only electric. I drive one currently (Golf GTE) and long term fuel economy for me is currently at 248 mpg. as mostly short journeys and frequent charging.

So in a long roundabout way I'm saying don't buy a 'self-charging' (vomit) hybrid as you're economy will be worse than an efficient petrol only engine, consider a PHEV or a BEV (pure EV)
DrMagical is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We are on our second Prius Hybrid and have always found it economical and easy to drive. We are likely to have another one when we sell this one.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Carolynmf
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
We have just got a Range Rover sport phev. Mainly because we got an amazing deal as they are desperate to sell them just now. We have had sports before and it is just the same only quieter.
We are have a charger installed later this week but did not know that it would mean that we would need a new fuse box as well. As our house is around 30 years old the fuse box does not have rcds? I am sure we will not be the only people to be caught out by that.
Carolynmf is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DrMagical View Post
'Self charging hybrid' is a very clever marketing deception coined by Toyota which makes a lot of EV owners sick into their mouths. Basically they are petrol charging hybrids. The only energy source entering the car is petrol, so basically burning petrol to charge a battery to turn the wheels. Sadly people fall for it and believe there is some sort of energy creation going on (breaking the 1st law of thermodynamics! ). I had a CHR previously and got 56 mpg which is probably less than the normal petrol version would manage as not carrying around the weight of 2 engines and a battery pack.

A PHEV is a plug in hybrid. Charge it at a plug socket and run off electric only power until you run out of electrons then petrol takes over. Advantages are for short journeys you are using only electric. I drive one currently (Golf GTE) and long term fuel economy for me is currently at 248 mpg. as mostly short journeys and frequent charging.

So in a long roundabout way I'm saying don't buy a 'self-charging' (vomit) hybrid as you're economy will be worse than an efficient petrol only engine, consider a PHEV or a BEV (pure EV)
I was wondering about a Volvo - XC60 or XC90. You can get them second hand pretty easily now, and for less than the eyewatering £53,000 the GLC would cost in the spec I currently have.

I know I’ll sound like a snob, but I love the Merc and worry anything else won’t match up.
Old 1 Jul 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Tesla Model S- it’s great. Can get from Leeds to London in 1 charge. Park in Central London near St Paul’s overnight on a Saturday with a free charge, that costs me £8. Drive all the way back. Drives itself down the M1. Total cost £15 including parking and first charge. I don’t take the train to London for weekend trips now. Did a 500 mile work trip before lockdown using Superchargers no problem.