Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 24 Sep 20, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Get the lightest most robust one you can. Cheap suit cases are not necessarily the best value for money as they do break easily and need replace more often. Also get a waterproof one as airlines will not compensate you if your case gets left outside and it rains ruining the contents.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

There should be lots of offers on suitcases as no one has probably bought any as we cannot get away on hols this year!
Old 24 Sep 20, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

I’ve got a real beauty, bought from M and S in the sale in January, it’s currently still in its box in the garage as I’ve had no use for it this year, it should’ve been to Orlando and on a Med cruise 😂😂😂 on a more positive note our cats love to curl up on it for a snooze, so silver linings!
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We have ‘Roxy’ suitcases.. as in the female surf clothing suppliers.

They were in a half price sale around 10 years ago and my wife liked the color.. So she bought 4, much to my disgust. Whilst they have a hard but flexible polythene bottom shell, they have a tough, nylon type top half that can be either expanded or strapped down depending on what is in them, 3 mediums and a cabin size.

They are purple and gray. When they come up on the baggage reclaim, you can spot them a mile off and in all those years, I have only seen one the same.

We have used them everywhere, U.K. trips, Euro, long haul, everywhere unless travelling hand baggage in which case it’s just the one. Our foreign vacations generally have at least 6 locations, With planes, trains and automobiles.. so they get a further hammering during the vacation.

My disgust was misplaced and my wife frequently reminds me of it. They were a fabulous acquisition and despite all the rough handling, are as new. When they need replacing.. and if they need replacing, then it will be Roxy or Quiksilver once more!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:05 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I have hd all sorts of cases and find my Samsonite ones and one Tumi has lated the longest. However the drawback on that is often that the sturdier the case, the heavier it weights (or alternatively eye watering expensive). I bought a new one last year which was an Antler found at a bargain price at TKMaxx. So far so good.
Old 27 Sep 20, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

My Dgd..phoned me the other day that they had really cheap good ones in TK MAX.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

Hard shell cases are popular but I would only ever buy fabric cases.

I used to work at Heathrow airport and I’ve seen how easily hard shell cases can be damaged. I’ve personally been on a flight that was fairly turbulent for 3+ hours of the 9/10, almost every hard shell case that came off was damaged/split. Not one soft case was.

Hard shell ones look better, but they are not the best quality at all.

I personally use Fochier, they are fabric, 4 wheeled, they look good and they have survived countless bumpy flights, they are extremely lightweight and stronger than they look/feel.

I really wouldn’t touch any hard case, they fail far more often than you’d think
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DiamondBelief
Proud to wear my Ears

Thank you all, I was considering a hard case this year but I think I will get another soft case!
Old 11 Oct 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
We also have the Tripp cases. The ones with squares all over them. They’re really old now and have served us well. They’ve clearly had plenty of abuse but haven’t broken at all.
The slight issue is that everyone has them so we hastily scribbled our surname in large letters in the squares with a sharpie last time we checked in!
We have these ones too , I’m stealing your sharpie initial idea!
Hopefully 2021
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
We have Tripp ones too, best cases we ever bought, they clean up so well too. Debenhams often have them on offer.
You look prepped and ready to go
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List