Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

View Poll Results: Who is your preferred car rental company and why?
alamo 638 75.95%
hertz 41 4.88%
budget 17 2.02%
dollar 24 2.86%
avis 80 9.52%
sixt 13 1.55%
other 36 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 840. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Mar 16, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post

We have used Alamo, Avis and Hertz. We had a bad experience with Alamo at Sanford where they were wouldn't take no for an answer with an upsell then the car we got was very basic. That's one reason we don't fly there any more!
I prefer to get the Magical Express in and pick up a car around Disney. Avis at DTD tried to charge us for an upgrade when they didn't have a car in our group. Hertz at LBV didn't answer their phone for the shuttle so we had to pay for a taxi, then gave us a car in an awful condition with broken air vents and a hole under the hand brake.
Last time we used Alamo at the CCC. The shuttle was easy to arrange and we had no issues with the car.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 16, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Rockette
Apprentice Imagineer

Alamo because I like to collect to get the ME from the airport and collect next day from the Dolphin.

1982:I-Drive 2007:I-Drive 2009:I-Drive 2010:POR 2011:OKW 2012:BCV/AKV 2013:BCV/VB/OKW, BCR/BWV 2014:SSR/BCV, WBTA/NYC 2015:BCV, BCV/OKW 2016:BWV, WBTA/BCV 2017:VWL/BCV, MED CRUISE, FANTASY/BLT/BCV 2018:BRV/BWV, AKV/CARIBBEAN CRUISE/BWV 2019:BWV/VB/EBTA,BCV 2022:RIV/BWV, BWV, VB/CRUISE/SSR 2023:Mexico, RIV/BWV, Med Cruise, WBTA 2024 BLT
Rockette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 16, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

Alamo because they do the STC and choose car. Have also hired with Budget and Dollar and will never hire again with Budget. Dollar were ok.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 16, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ShopandRide
Helping Mickey

We are frequent visitors to Orlando & having used most of the car hire companies at one time or another, always now book with Alamo, mainly due to their quick & easy check in process & also due to the choice of vehicles available within each category. I do think they keep records of your previous business as we are never hassled to upgrade or take any extras. We also usually pay up front to return the car empty, but not until we get to Orlando, as it is a lot cheaper than doing it in advance. This takes the hassle out of looking for a filling station on the way back to the airport & barely costs any more than filling the car yourself.
ShopandRide is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 16, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Alamo for all the reasons mentioned already. Have had nothing but great service. had to go through a toll in 2014 when it was our first night and we took a wrong turn and it was automated exact change which we didnt have so had to just drive through.

Rang up alamo expecting them to pass on a fine but we never had one. usually good choice of cars (we picked the wrong one last time) and the skip the counter is always handy.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 16, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I've only ever used Alamo & have stuck with them in the basis of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Never had any problem, no hard sell, etc. Mind you I have overheard others near me at the desk being pushed towards upgrades but, in the ones I've overheard, I could hear the hesitation in their initial "no thanks", you have to give a firm, but polite, no thanks & they will accept it.
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 16, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I'm a big fan of Sixt, although I've only used them in Germany and Spain rather than the US. I like their service, and the fact that you choose the car when you book rather than the "or similar". The downside is that they are generally more expensive, and in Orlando trade from an off site, off airport location (which is why we don't use them over there.)

So instead I use Alamo, I really like Alamo's save time / pick your own car at MCO. And the fact that you can avoid all the hard sell attempts.
The fact it's so easy to update you booking and get a lower price is also a huge plus!
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 16, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
cliver18
Very Serious Dibber

Alamo as you can pick your own car however I have used others in the past without any problems as well so it mostly comes down to price although this year I am avoiding the likes of Dollar as we have a drive up the turnpike and want to avoid their extortionate charges for using the tolls. Currently booked with Avis but watching Alamo prices as well waiting for the price to come down to below what I have to pay Avis (heading in the right direction at the moment, just few more ££ to go)
Old 29 Mar 16, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

Alamo through US rent a car, we like to choose the car and have cloth seats as the leather ones can take your skin off after sitting in a car park in the hot sun all day
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 16, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Avis or Hertz, good new cars and good prices, I alternate between the two depending on price.
My back up is Sixt
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List