Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Aug 19, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Potts
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

My mum has a lanyard as she is extremely hard of hearing and it works well for her!
2005 - Pop Century
2006 - Pop Century
2007 - Pop Century
Mrs_Potts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter has type1 diabetes and we’ve used the lanyard. It helps pre-security stress as staff are trained to just be more patient and expect a non-standard approach (her equipment such as pump and monitors can only be subjected to some electronic scanners and not others so if needed we have to request a manual pat down) but in addition to that it was noted at MCO and we were led to the front of the queue. We didn’t actually leave any quicker as luggage was a horrendous wait but we were able to wait sat down (on the floor!) and concentrate on her blood levels without getting a telling off (even though mobiles etc are not allowed still her equipment is all electronic and it was far easier to check sat in a corner than it would have been in a line)
Old 27 Aug 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by keepgoingback View Post
If visiting the Disney parks, also look to use their DAS pass if DH struggles to stand for long periods.
The DAS is for people who find it difficult to queue in general rather than can’t stand for long periods. I’m not saying those who can’t stand aren’t in need but Disney would direct you to wheelchair options rather than DAS.
Old 28 Aug 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
LeaPinkSnowball
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Mobile

Are the lanyard recognised in the parks ?
We had lot of issues last time
We went to Disney (before diagnosis) and it was awful ! So many meltdowns ! Now we
Know it because my DS is very noise sensitive and struggles in busy places .
LeaPinkSnowball is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
The DAS is for people who find it difficult to queue in general rather than can’t stand for long periods. I’m not saying those who can’t stand aren’t in need but Disney would direct you to wheelchair options rather than DAS.
DD was originally diagnosed with polyarthritis and now this has been changed to joint hypermobility, however whilst she is able, most days, to walk, she does have trouble standing in queues. Disney have never asked her to look at wheelchair options.

Originally Posted by LeaPinkSnowball View Post
We went to Disney (before diagnosis) and it was awful ! So many meltdowns ! Now we
They don't recognise the lanyards, but do look into getting the DAS. I don't have any experience with noise sensitivity so can't help with that I'm afraid.

Hope you get to have an amazing time this time.

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Granbran
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
I have one because I am profoundly hard of hearing and can never make out a word coming out of loudspeakers. Customer services did not ask for any details of my ‘hidden disability’.
1991 Days Inn,1993/96/98 Flydrive,1994 Catalina Inn,2000 Lindfields,2003 Thousand Oaks, 2004/2006 Liki Tiki,2005 Cruise,2007/2008 Regal Palms,2010 High Grove,2011 Star Island, 2012 Marriots Cypress Harbour,2013 SSR/Sheraton Vistana,2015 Calabria,2016 India,2017Westgate/Cabana Bay,2017POFQ/WestgateTown,2018 India,2019 CBR&Westgate Town
Granbran is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
keepgoingback
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by LeaPinkSnowball View Post
We’ve seen lots of kids wearing ear defenders to help with the noise on this trip. Maybe that could help?
keepgoingback is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Pocock
Proud to wear my Ears

We had a lanyard for my daughter, it was ignored at Gatwick both on the way out and on the way back. We already had priority boarding on our flight with VA but I did see some people wearing them being allowed on the flight early. It was also ignored at MCO both on arrival and leaving. We were in the immigration queue for an hour on Monday afternoon even though the sign said 34 minute delay.

I think it is hit and miss with the lanyards to be honest, but no harm in wearing it.

We didn't have a problem getting a DAS pass for my daughter at Disney or at Universal.
Pocock is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post

We got one from Heathrow for DS - he gets anxious travelling to the point that he is almost sick. He used it this summer and it did help to calm him and I think security was more patient with hi, He forgot to wear it coming back into UK and we queued for almost an hour at Border Control. Had he worn it we may have got through easier - not speed but just the whole stress over queuing for him.

My Mum travels on her own, she is 82 and needs help sometimes, just navigating her way in new places so next time she goes I will give her the lanyard to use.

I was in Sainsbury's this morning and saw that you can get them there or just contact the airport you are travelling through in UK and they will either post one (Heathow did this) or you collect on the day of travel.

We flew Virgin and Delta and I spoke to them ahead of travel and Virgin made a note on booking but Delta were less helpful. Just go to the gate early, show your lanyard and they ask if you want to board 1st with the assisted wheelchair users or at the very end. We picked early so DS could settle without being rushed in to his seat.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List