Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Sep 21, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Imagineer

Just playing with some figures last night. MAN-MCO for five on July 22nd and returning on August 5th with Virgin and ONLY Economy Classic is £9308!
Putting that into context Air Lingus on those same dates? You can fly out Economy and return Business Class for £1000 cheaper!
Glad that we no longer need school holidays but we are dreading seeing our prices when they come out for September/October 2022
Old 12 Sep 21, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
I know that there have been issues with rental car availability in the US, so was expecting a price increase…but…

BA return flights to Miami and car hire for 5 weeks in August 2021 was £2700.

The exact same for 2022 is pushing £5500. In fact, this price is for slightly less desirable flight times as well.

There is no way I’m paying double. I’ve tried looking to pick up the car elsewhere and the price is not coming up much better.

To rent the car separately from the flights, the best I can get is with FLorida car rental and that’s Sixt at £1750. Add on flights and well, I’m back up to nearly £5000.

As a teacher, my dates are not very flexible either. I’m starting to think that I may not be going to Florida for a long time. 😭

Going without a car is not an option for us as we don’t stay in Disney. We’re all about the gulf coast, keys and national parks.

Anyone else having similar problems planning their next years holiday?
Very pleased to see that you’re at least tentatively putting out feelers! I think the car rental prices will certainly decrease by next summer.

You’ll get your five weeks in Florida, Ree. 💙
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by °o°-Hannah-°o° View Post
We booked last week. We’ve paid £640pp ncl-lhr-mia 26/7-17/8. Collecting hire car from Loews Miami Beach the following morning. We’ve paid £613 for 21 nights, Corolla or similar. Cost was treble from the airport.
Can I ask who you booked with?
Thanks 😊
Old 12 Sep 21, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Originally Posted by Geordie Al View Post
Just playing with some figures last night. MAN-MCO for five on July 22nd and returning on August 5th with Virgin and ONLY Economy Classic is £9308!
Putting that into context Air Lingus on those same dates? You can fly out Economy and return Business Class for £1000 cheaper!
Glad that we no longer need school holidays but we are dreading seeing our prices when they come out for September/October 2022
Crazy isn’t it!
Old 12 Sep 21, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty View Post
Very pleased to see that you’re at least tentatively putting out feelers! I think the car rental prices will certainly decrease by next summer.

You’ll get your five weeks in Florida, Ree. 💙
I do hope so. Keep your fingers crossed for me ☺️
Otherwise I might be swimming there 😬 🦈

Thanks SB 😊
Old 12 Sep 21, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I’m looking to book for Miami, and am waiting for American Airlines to release the return dates, as the outbound prices aren’t too bad. I think we’ll also wait on the car hire, and see if prices reduce next year. Looking to book a 1 night hotel to get a package with BA. I’m not prepared to pay £4,500 for a flydrive.
Old 12 Sep 21, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

You are teachers.. I would look at incorporating a little history and culture into the equation.. whilst saving money in the process. Also as Teachers, you could stretch to 3 weeks in summer? Remember that if in the U.K. there are still living costs such as food, petrol etc that can be deducted in the final equation.

I would fly London Boston and stay 3 days. I would then fly Boston- Orlando afterwards.
Boston Airport is only a $10 taxi from downtown and the freedom trail, amazing. You could also get in a whale watching trip downriver and out to the Stellwaggen Bank, a look at Harvard. An evening harbour cruise is also great (see my trip report in my signature). You won’t need a car.

Boston-MCO should come in at sub £100pp. Then you do the Orlando bit.

Going home, I would look at an internal to Washington (R Reagan) and stay a couple of nights in the Doubletree (with revolving restaurant) at adjacent Crystal City. A taxi from there to the Lincoln Memorial is around $7. All memorials, the Smithsonian etc are free. You obviously also get the Capitol and Whitehouse thrown in!

I would then fly home from Dulles, seeing the Hazy Centre, Shuttle, Enola Gay etc on the way home (the taxi is around $70, but the Hazy, free).

Summary.

Buy a multi centre LHR-Boston and then Dulles-LHR with a three week split, directs should be sub £600pp.

Buy internals Boston- MCO and also MCO-Reagan. Both should be around £100pp.

Flights are a total of around £800pp and you get 3 weeks whilst seeing 2 of the most iconic cities in the world.

Boston Hotels can be pricey, but Crystal City, cheap!

Just a thought!

Edited at 07:43 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

CFB, it's the returns that seem to be the killer at the moment on BA for August. They're all nearly the same price as than the outbound. Even for the cheaper hubs. As you know, we should get a considerable drop on those due to APD.

JetBlue to JFK with cheap internals could be an alternative once their return flights open. They're only up to Aug 9 at the moment, but more reasonable return prices.

Btw, OP is going for 5 weeks already

Edited at 08:11 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
You are teachers.. I would look at incorporating a little history and culture into the equation.. whilst saving money in the process. Also as Teachers, you could stretch to 3 weeks in summer? Remember that if in the U.K. there are still living costs such as food, petrol etc that can be deducted in the final equation.

I would fly London Boston and stay 3 days. I would then fly Boston- Orlando afterwards.
Boston Airport is only a $10 taxi from downtown and the freedom trail, amazing. You could also get in a whale watching trip downriver and out to the Stellwaggen Bank, a look at Harvard. An evening harbour cruise is also great (see my trip report in my signature). You won’t need a car.

Boston-MCO should come in at sub £100pp. Then you do the Orlando bit.

Going home, I would look at an internal to Washington (R Reagan) and stay a couple of nights in the Doubletree (with revolving restaurant) at adjacent Crystal City. A taxi from there to the Lincoln Memorial is around $7. All memorials, the Smithsonian etc are free. You obviously also get the Capitol and Whitehouse thrown in!

I would then fly home from Dulles, seeing the Hazy Centre, Shuttle, Enola Gay etc on the way home (the taxi is around $70, but the Hazy, free).

Summary.

Buy a multi centre LHR-Boston and then Dulles-LHR with a three week split, directs should be sub £600pp.

Buy internals Boston- MCO and also MCO-Reagan. Both should be around £100pp.

Flights are a total of around £800pp and you get 3 weeks whilst seeing 2 of the most iconic cities in the world.

Boston Hotels can be pricey, but Crystal City, cheap!

Just a thought!
I love your posts! Gives me the motivation to hop onto Google flights, BA and see what magic can be created. Sounds awesome. Thanks
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
I didn’t realise return flight competition wasn’t out yet. Fingers crossed that makes some difference.

Also, I’d totally be up for seeing some new places. We’ve done indirect to Chicago, NY, Boston, Houston, even Toronto before and never thought to stop a few days and see the place.

Will definitely look into it!
Thanks