Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Sep 21, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

Change of airport in London

What are people's thoughts on this? How much time do you need to comfortably travel between the two? Previously I'd never have touched it with a barge pole but I am seeing HUGE savings can be made.

First trip to Florida: June 2013
First family trip: Disney Oct 2019
Latest family trip to Florida: Treasure Island, Universal October 2022
irnjaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Assuming it's Heathrow-Gatwick, very easy to do with the NX bus running directly between the two. Although if there's several of you, Uber or a car service may be cheaper. And more convenient, since the bus currently isn't that frequent.

Journey time is around an hour but I'd allow plenty of extra time in case of any traffic delays.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks. I suppose it'll come down to how well immigration is flowing too.

I just saw that a private transfer would be cheaper since there's 4 of us

irnjaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

Erm… it involves the M25, Id allow at least 2 hours for the drive, in good traffic it only takes a little over an hour, but can take longer fairly easily round that way!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Whoppery5k
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I've done this exact trip and it was a piece of cake..
Took little over an hour each way, so allow 4 hours to between flights.
My only concern is the M25 is notorious for jams, and we do seem to have a lot of people taking time to sit in the middle of the road to cause gridlock lately.
But my understanding is that as long as you allow 4+ hours for connection between flights and do miss the connection.
The airline has to get you on a flight that day or next subject to availability.

Just out of interest what flights have you got and what savings? We are still trying to find flights.
Whoppery5k is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 21, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney2504
Excited about Disney

I would get the train, no risk of traffic and delays then !
Old 26 Sep 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Are you transferring the same day?

We are flying from London Heathrow and Landing at Gatwick so we are planning on leaving the car at Gatwick the night before.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 21, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney2504 View Post
I would get the train, no risk of traffic and delays then !
As someone who's used Southern/Thameslink daily for many years, I wouldn't trust them not to be delayed any less than the M25. And if you're going in peak, you will struggle to find seats - well, maybe not at the moment since the London commuters are still reduced. But in normal times, no peak train would have seats left by the time it reached Gatwick.

It's also expensive and a hassle for families with luggage since at a minimum, it's a train + tube. And that's if you go the long way via St Pancras. More likely to be train + two tubes.

I have used the train for this route several times when travelling solo. But typically only when going home (I live near Gatwick) so any delays don't matter.

Edited at 03:34 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

The trip i was planning was GLA-LHR-PHL-TPA, then the return was TPA-LGW-LHR-GLA. The saving for changing from TPA-LGW-GLA was over 4 grand, hence why I'm keen to know more about this journey! I found that I needed to have the 2 stops on the outbound journey to make the saving on the return.

Old 26 Sep 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by irnjaw View Post
The trip i was planning was GLA-LHR-PHL-TPA, then the return was TPA-LGW-LHR-GLA. The saving for changing from TPA-LGW-GLA was over 4 grand, hence why I'm keen to know more about this journey! I found that I needed to have the 2 stops on the outbound journey to make the saving on the return.
How much time is there between landing at Gatwick and leaving Heathrow?

You need to factor in any delays departing Glasgow also.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List