Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 1 Oct 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Changes to Passport Rules from 4th October

Just seen this article and hope it may help some of you.

An obscure EU passport rule is coming into effect from 4th October so please check your passports carefully as it may mean you need to reapply.

I hope this link works :

thepointsguy/news/brex... te=2021-10-01
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I thought this rule was already in place? Definitely seen stories about people being caught out by it.

Edited to add - it isn't a new EU rule, it's an existing EU rule that we are now subject to as a non-EU country. It applied to non-EU citizens entering the UK before we left.

Sunlit uplands...

Edited at 10:18 AM.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Think a lot of people may have seen the story but pushed it to the back burner while travel was curtailed.

Fortunately it doesn't look like it will affect us now but I have made a note to renew our passports earlier than planned.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Passports only last 10 years don't they? So everyone with a burgundy passport has applied for it within the last decade? Am I being stupid here?

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
Passports only last 10 years don't they? So everyone with a burgundy passport has applied for it within the last decade? Am I being stupid here?
If you applied to renew before your passport expired then any extra months added to your new one are not valid for travel to the EU, basically.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
You could apply for it to be renewed before the end of the 10 years and the extra months would be added onto the new passport - I think up to 6 months could be added, so if you applied at 9y6m your new passport would run for 10y6m. Now that passport is only valid until 10 year after issue with 6 months having to be on it, so I guess a year before the expiry date it's no good for EU travel?
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
If you applied to renew before your passport expired then any extra months added to your new one are not valid for travel to the EU, basically.
Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
You could apply for it to be renewed before the end of the 10 years and the extra months would be added onto the new passport - I think up to 6 months could be added, so if you applied at 9y6m your new passport would run for 10y6m. Now that passport is only valid until 10 year after issue with 6 months having to be on it, so I guess a year before the expiry date it's no good for EU travel?
This makes sense, thanks

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

This has been in effect since January this year., so old news.

Everyone was blaming Brexit but it would have still happened to UK passports even if we had stayed in the EU.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
Some countries like Spain and Greece you only need 3 months from your return date.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by bighal View Post
This has been in effect since January this year., so old news.

Everyone was blaming Brexit but it would have still happened to UK passports even if we had stayed in the EU.
Before Brexit, Brits could go to any country in the European Union up to and even including the expiration date. But from 1 January, the U.K. is no longer a member nation and does not enjoy the benefits that came with it and so it must follow the same travel protocols the EU has in place for third countries.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List