Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Oct 21, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
I think George Formby is part of U.K. cultural history, I’m surprised people in their 50’s haven’t heard of him, I wouldn’t necessarily expect them to like his style of music but I would have thought they’d know of him, bit like Norman Wisdom x
I am really surprised people haven’t heard of him too. He was Britain’s biggest film star in the late 1930’s The George Formby Society still has its convention every year in Blackpool.
[
QUOTE=Donaldfan;15174334]I'm in my late 50s and haven't heard of him. What culture was he a part of?[/QUOTE]
He was part of Northern, working class culture.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
I'm in my late 50s and haven't heard of him. What do you mean by part of UK cultural history? What culture was he a part of?
Perhaps I’ve used the wrong words, but of his time he was a huge Variety artist, I’d say in a similar vein to Norman Wisdom etc, part of our culture back in his time, like the Beatles were in the 60’s and Stormzy is now
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Honestly I’m shocked at so many do t know who he was
Maybe because I love Uk social history and music
How many over 50 remember The Late Great David Bowie and Bing Crosby Christmas hit little Drummer Boy ( wish I knew how to post a you tube video )
Social history is not just about hardship but also about what lightned the moment in the darkest of time I’m sure loads on here know the forces sweet heart Miss Vera Lynn
Music however it presents its self is our history all you folks that remember the sex pistols being banned or spending hours trying to tune into Radio Caroline or faffing about on a Sunday night as mum and dad were listening to sing something simple on the radio with the cliff Adams singers ( yes you were singing along too in your mind ) tryingbto tapd the top 10 and stop and start that pesky cassettte machine
Or a few years on snuck out to the care to here Alan Freeman ( I think that’s the name ) on radio two going over old top hits DH or me were often found washing the car or
Making a big todo about something on a Saturday afternoon
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
How many over 50 remember The Late Great David Bowie and Bing Crosby Christmas hit little Drummer Boy ( wish I knew how to post a you tube video )
Social history is not just about hardship but also about what lightned the moment in the darkest of time I’m sure loads on here know the forces sweet heart Miss Vera Lynn
Music however it presents its self is our history all you folks that remember the sex pistols being banned or spending hours trying to tune into Radio Caroline or faffing about on a Sunday night as mum and dad were listening to sing something simple on the radio with the cliff Adams singers ( yes you were singing along too in your mind ) tryingbto tapd the top 10 and stop and start that pesky cassettte machine
Or a few years on snuck out to the care to here Alan Freeman ( I think that’s the name ) on radio two going over old top hits DH or me were often found washing the car or
Thank you, social history is what I should have said rather than cultural maybe x
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

I know who he is and I'm 30 😳
Old 14 Oct 21, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Some people lived a different life, where music, TV and light entertainment were simply absent.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I have friends who were brought up where radio TV etc due to parents strong beliefs were not allowed and I totally respect that as I would still do and am as equally interested in their social history and completely accept / respect their values or whatever you want to call it when with them as they do ours and always will
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Honestly I’m shocked at so many dont know who he was
I am 50 and my Dad listened to him as well as many many others and watched Laurel and hardy and Harold Lloyd (which my dd and dgs also love too)
But sunday early evenings... sing something simple... oh how I hated that theme tune... meant school was near again and weekend nearly over!
My dad used to make me laugh though, hed say it as sing something, simple! And then say who are they calling simple!?!?! And hed laugh too at his own joke. Id give anytning to be able to listen to sing something simple again with him.

Edited at 11:16 PM.
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
For all those that don’t know him

en.wikipedia/wiki/George_Formby
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
Perhaps I’ve used the wrong words, but of his time he was a huge Variety artist, I’d say in a similar vein to Norman Wisdom etc, part of our culture back in his time, like the Beatles were in the 60’s and Stormzy is now
Absolutely the right word, culture doesn’t mean ballet and opera in the context you used it but is a broader sociological term , bit like pop culture.

At sixty one and not a northerner , my parents knew who he was, I only knew because one of his songs was used for years for a radio advert on LBC …..and jolly irritating it was too

Edited at 08:17 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List