Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 21, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

We never shared our chosen names with anyone before our 3 were born and just told them what they were after.
I chose all of ours, and hubby agreed before they were born. We knew we were having boys with the first and third, but they couldn’t tell us with the second so that was the only one we had both boy/girl names for (I really wanted a girl so I could give her the name chosen - she was a girl!)
Ours all have quite classic names - the boys are both generic names.
Strangely, we’re English but our kids names are Scottish, Welsh and Irish in origin.
None are hugely popular, but they’re also not unheard of either.
We loved/love them and at 23, 21 and 16, they all like their names too.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

It’s a huge responsibility Hexagon, or Alice as we now know you 😄. We have an unusual surname and had to be careful with first names, in fact my DDs is a little awkward with the surname but not enough to have presented a problem to her.

Definitely choose a name you like, but consider how it goes with any middle name you choose and the surname. Also consider if you like the name shortened, as they often end up shortened as they get older. We liked Charlotte but I didn’t like it shortened to Charlie so we decided not to pick it.

I like the names you’ve chosen but I’m not sure what they could be shortened to, would the boys name end up being Endy? But, as others have said, if you want those names and you are happy with it fitting with surnames and getting shortened, don’t let anyone change your mind.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
One of my favourite books has a character called Marsali (different spelling I know) and I really like it. I’m English but I do like Scottish and Irish names.
I’m not keen on Endeavour, but it is your choice so if you decide to go for it I’d be tempted to not ask for much advice as people can be brutal 😂
I absolutely hate my name. I was named Claire but apparently just didn’t suit me. I have shortened my name and just sort of made it my own best as I can, but I would have loved something a bit more normal tbh
Old 17 Oct 21, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

DH chose our kids names - with my approval - as I wasn’t hugely drawn to any or dislike any but I did have several rules in place. No name could start with the same initial as either of our first names or our surname (& the second child couldn’t start with the same letter as the eldest) and I wouldn’t consider a top ten name, ideally not top 50 and if possible not even top 100.

DD1’s name wasn’t on the 100 list and is perhaps more unusual and DD2 is a rarely used but not unheard of name and was #75 at the time on the baby name list. They both went through primary as they only ones with that name in their school. Chances are DD1 will be that way through high school but I’d also be surprised if there was more than 2-3 of DD2 in high school.

We did say what they would be called but certainly didn’t ask for opinion on the matter. We’d made considered choices and were happy with them.

Edited at 07:48 PM.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Times change too, I love the name Archie but you certainly would not have called a child that when I was naming mine.
My three grandsons names to me sound more like 3 old men in flat caps playing dominos in a pub, well 2 of them anyway, third one depends on Joe or Joseph.
My granddaughter has an old woman name. I really don’t like it although I have got used to it. I have never said anything and never will to my son and DIL - they have no idea.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
Don't forget to check how the name will sound with your surname.

The Peacock family obviously hadn't when they named their son Drew!
I went to primary school with a boy called Shaun Lamb. Even as 5 year olds we tried not to giggle.

Boys will tease about unusual names.

When considering girls names we realised the initials of our favourite names spelt out CIF 😂 so we changed the middle one
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
When I told my parents; mother-in-law and grandparents (on both sides) the name we’d chosen for our son, not a single person liked it.

They actively tried to change our minds telling us all the nasty things he’d be called.

But we stuck with the name and now, he looks and feels just like a Maddox and no one could imagine him being called anything else.
Old 18 Oct 21, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
When I told my parents; mother-in-law and grandparents (on both sides) the name we’d chosen for our son, not a single person liked it.

They actively tried to change our minds telling us all the nasty things he’d be called.

But we stuck with the name and now, he looks and feels just like a Maddox and no one could imagine him being called anything else.
I really like Maddox, so I’m pleased you stuck with it 😄

A few people tried to put us off our middle child’s name, Justin as it’s unusual in our area. My dad insisted on mispronouncing it as Jason for the first few months of his life, until I blew my top and told him to get it right or stop saying his name.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I really like Maddox, so I’m pleased you stuck with it 😄

A few people tried to put us off our middle child’s name, Justin as it’s unusual in our area. My dad insisted on mispronouncing it as Jason for the first few months of his life, until I blew my top and told him to get it right or stop saying his name.
My mum called my first ‘the baby’ until I had my second…. Then she had to say her name…and my second became ‘the baby’ 🤣🤣🤣

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by hexagon View Post
Basically I’m bored and me and step mum were discussing me having children in the future yesterday and then the discussion turned to names. Bearing in mind this isn’t going to be for another 3-5 years. I’m jus5 testing the waters,

What do you think of Endeavour for a boy?

And Marsaili (MAR sa lee) for a girl?

These are my current favourite names, I’m unsure whether I should keep them for cats though lol.
To me Endeavour sounds like the name of a boat.

I always say name your child something that isn’t going to make their school life absolute hell. Something easy to spell and pronounce. You’d be amazed how many times people get Laura wrong. I’ve been called Lorna, Lauren, Maura, Moira…