Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Oct 21, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
My own kids went from 2 yrs , they had been elsewhere though like Europe and Las Vegas.

My granddaughter first went to WDW at 9 weeks , by the time she was 15 months old she had been to WDW twice, Disney California, Vegas,LA, North Carolina etc etc (basically her first four holidays were USA road trips ).

Of course she can’t remember them but that didn’t matter to us, what mattered to us was she was there on family holidays and we have some brilliant photo’s and memories .

She’s 3 now and we will in a few weeks be off to Disneyland California and Vegas, she is very excited to see Mickey /Minnie/Elsa etc .

She’s a good kid, brilliant at travelling ( we do a lot of long car journeys )so hopefully she’ll have a fab trip.

My youngest said at 4/5 the characters weren’t real , and by 8/9 he was totally over Disney , he will come to Disneyland in February but only because his girlfriend wants too
I was showing my friends 5yr old daughter pictures of us meeting the characters, and she said 'that's not elsa that's a lady in a wig'

They aren't dumb are they 😂
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

We took our daughter at 2,4 and 5. I don't regret taking her at either age.

She does remember things from the 2nd holiday as that was the last time we did disney for more than just Halloweeen nights.

We would have gone to Orlando on those holidays even if we didn't have her but she certainly enjoyed all three.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by byeo View Post
Every time I’ve been to Florida it’s been with older family (no kids). We cancelled our 2020 trip in 2019 as me and my partner found out we were expecting our first child (alas covid would have cancelled it anyway)..

Our son is fast approaching 2 years old and I’m starting to think about our first family trip to Florida. My main concern is the flight but more importantly, what age do you think is a good age to take kids? It’ll be at least another two years until we go but I want to try and make plans now really.
Im so glad you asked this question. Ive been thinking about it since before our little girl was born and i even ended up booking DLP for her first birthday, before she was born.

It sounds like the majority are saying just go when you feel its right for your child, and as i expected, everyone is saying they loved it.

Sooooo, ive just convinced Hubby-to-be to go in 2023 after our wedding!
Little one will be 2 and its going to be very different but amazing in its own right.
skinnybaby is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

We took our DD when she was 4 so we could take her out of school without been fined but if it wasn’t for our honeymoon I wish I waited to the following year as she was under 40 inches which is the average height for most of the rides at Disney world. She be tall enough for every attraction in 2023 and hopefully my DS will be at least 40in as his taller than my DD was aged 2. The flight wasn’t much of a problem going out as you got the entertainment and download programs on the I pad and she was fine to about half 5 when she started to fall a sleep but it was 10.30 with our body clock. Went for a quick bite to eat and put her to bed at 7pm and she slepted to 7am think we were in bed for 10 at the latest.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Personally I say WDW is too old for children and you’ll have a much, much better time if you take an adults only vacation there.
Old 19 Oct 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

Kids are so different - we took my son to DLP at just turned two; he had a nap during the day in his pram but didn’t use it otherwise. We went to WDW when he was 4; we were glad we didn’t bring a pram as he absolutely didn’t need it and happily kept going from morning until evening. We did it over 2 weeks and did it 3 park days then 1 “rest day” where we did pool and Disney springs or shopping. He loved all the Disney parks, we didn’t do universal as he was 102cm and a lot of the rides there require 106cm
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
steph206
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
Personally I say WDW is too old for children and you’ll have a much, much better time if you take an adults only vacation there.
Are you getting mixed up with Universal's horror Nights? Quite possibly the worst advice I've ever read on here.

We took our daughter at 6 months, 1 and then 2 years old. Best memories we have ever created. Albeit it at 6 months she wasn't aware, but the videos and photos we have are great. She was fantastic on the flight too. Of course it adds additional daily breaks and you need to carry some extra items, but it absolutely did not affect our holiday.

She's just turned 4 and is obsessed with all the Disney films. She's super excited to go now.

My son is 1 and this December will be his first visit.
HONEYMOON 2016 - Oasis of the Seas / Orlando, Nov 2017, July 2018/2019, Dec 2022, July 2023
steph206 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by byeo View Post
Every time I’ve been to Florida it’s been with older family (no kids). We cancelled our 2020 trip in 2019 as me and my partner found out we were expecting our first child (alas covid would have cancelled it anyway)..

Our son is fast approaching 2 years old and I’m starting to think about our first family trip to Florida. My main concern is the flight but more importantly, what age do you think is a good age to take kids? It’ll be at least another two years until we go but I want to try and make plans now really.

Is 4/5 years old a good age to take kids or is it still a bit too young? By that time he’ll know what’s what and hopefully be less of a handful on the plane.

Any tips on taking young kids to Florida? I doubt we’d do both, Disney and Universal, probably just Disney but that’s not too important just yet.

Very early days yet but I just want to try and get a year in mind which we can then work towards.
There really isn't a bad age, and of course, it very much depends on the child. Disney caters from babies to 100 year olds at the end of the day.

One thing I've never understood, it people saying, they won't remember, or too young to understand etc. They'll have fun, that's all that ever matters.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
thecheshiredad
Excited about Disney

We’ve taken all three of our kids from an early age and the only real concerns we had were how they would cope on the flight over.
Our eldest visited when she was only 9 months and the experience didn’t put us off taking the two that followed from similar ages. Schedule regular breaks, get acquainted with the baby care centres and accept that plans can and will change depending on you little ones. Everyone’s different though and there’s no right or wrong age to start taking kids.
thecheshiredad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by thecheshiredad View Post
We’ve taken all three of our kids from an early age and the only real concerns we had were how they would cope on the flight over.
Our eldest visited when she was only 9 months and the experience didn’t put us off taking the two that followed from similar ages. Schedule regular breaks, get acquainted with the baby care centres and accept that plans can and will change depending on you little ones. Everyone’s different though and there’s no right or wrong age to start taking kids.
How did the flights go?
skinnybaby is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List