Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Kate and me at DLP February 2019 - day 1

Sunday 17th February – Day 1 of Kate and Me at DLP

Hello Dibbers, I am Abby and me and my daughter Kate (11) went to DLP in February half term. It was my 2nd trip, the last time I went was in July 2000, so I felt like a novice as a lot has changed since then. Kate has never been. It was also the first time that we have been away just the two of us.

If you want to read the full pre trip report you can find it here otherwise, let's get started.

We did the packing on Saturday, Figment really wanted to come with us on this trip.

Or rather Kate really wanted Figment to come with us.

Now as you can see this is not your usual run of the mill sized cuddly toy, this is a pillow pet sized Figment. Hmph, if we take Figment how will we fit in all the souvenirs?

What about Minnie then?

He will fit though Mum...

Kate won this battle, it was agreed that Figment could come if Kate carried him.

Packing complete we settled down and watched some Disney movies together. Obviously, Ratatouille was on the agenda!

I was awake bright and early Sunday morning…I got up at 4am I had a cup of tea and piddled about a bit on you tube and eventually woke Kate up at 6.30am. We both showered and got ready.

My parents had kindly offered to take us to the station which was really nice of them. They arrived early and we were loaded up by 8.45am. In the car I painted Kate’s nails in a mood colour changing nail varnish. It was pink when she was warm and purple when she was cold.

The journey to Ebbsfleet was pretty good, no problems and only took us 45 minutes. Dad offered for us all to go and get breakfast at a café or something, but I just wanted to get to the station.

We were there by 9.30am and went straight into the station and waved my parents good bye. At the Eurostar check in desks the printed out boarding passes wouldn’t scan in the machines . After a mild panic, the lady on the desk said this was because we were too early and you are only allowed through 1 hour before the train leaves .

We had packed lots of snacks for the journey and Kate was starving, but rather than start our travel snacks we went to M&S and bought some sandwiches to share, salmon and cream cheese and beef and horseradish.

She decided she was so hungry that we needed to eat something now so we shared the salmon sandwich.

We also had some snacks that we had brought from home, which included some pringles and we proceeded to start on them as well!

There's nothing quite like the nervous excitement of waiting for the holiday to start and what goes well with that feeling...apparently it's eating Paprika flavoured Pringles!

We had a wander around a bit to try and fill the time.

There was a piano and Kate did a little bit of messing about.

We walked outside a little and finally it was time to go through the Eurostar check in. The lady there told Kate that her daughter has a Figment too.

It was decided that we needed more food and we wanted something hot this time so a toasted sandwich from the little Costa was settled on. We shared these again, Kate ordered a tuna melt and I ordered a brie and bacon sandwich.

We also had a drink. I had a cappuccino and Kate had a hot chocolate. This all passed the time pretty well.

It was finally time for us to go down to the platform. We were in coach number 5.

It was only an hour’s journey to Lille. We watched the first half of ‘To all the boys I’ve loved before’ on the tablet.

At Lille we walked around a bit and went outside and had something else to eat!

We ate the roast beef sandwich and a cake, then we went back in to find the platform for the next part of the journey.

We watched the rest of the movie on the train from Lille to DLP. We also ate some more snacks. The journey was really speedy and the time passed pretty quickly.

When we got off the train at DLP we decided to walk to the hotel. We got a bit confused here as you have to go through bag check with the big airport style scanners for bags and you walk through the security points. We wandered through the Disney Village and out to the lake, but we missed the turning for Hotel Cheyenne as there were big red boards up due to the construction and one side of the walkway along the canal was closed. I got a photo later so that you could see it wasn't just us being a bit rubbish.

We saw the signs to Santa Fe, but carried on walking down towards the Newport Bay hotel at the end, we realised we’d gone wrong turned around and decided to take the Santa Fe path. It worked out fine and we crossed the bridge at Cheyenne, there were no signs saying that the usual route was closed though and this would have been really helpful.

Anyway, we made to the hotel in the end and found the check in desk easily. We were given our Magic Passes, which were our hotel room door key and passes for the park.

We were really lucky as we were given a room in the block right next to the shop and restaurant so that was perfect.

Before going to the room we went into the shop and bought an autograph book and got the photo cards sorted out. The man on the counter explained everything to me and was really helpful. I’d bought the photo package before the holiday, so I just had to give him the print out of the code.

The room was absolutely marvellous so cute. We took lots of photos.

We just dumped our stuff and made our way back from the hotel to Disneyland park.

When we arrived at the park we headed right at the hub in front of the castle into Discoveryland, but all the rides there had really long waits and there were no fast passes left to pick up.

People were lining up to watch the parade, but we had decided we would watch it a different time and we managed to walk right up the centre of the road and came out just by the Alice in Wonderland area of the park.

We decided to go on the tea cups as our first ride as it only had a 15 minute wait. We saw the parade had started while we were waiting.

The tea cups ride was brilliant.

Then Kate really wanted to go in the Labyrinth and so did I.

We had great fun trying to find our way to the centre.

This was great and I wish they had something like this at WDW. It would be nice if they had replaced the old Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area in HS with a maze like this as there aren’t any play areas for kids over there.

Up next was Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs ride.

Kate was really hoping that we would ride on Dopey or Grumpy as they had the names of the dwarfs on the cart. There was a Dopey cart coming along, but we didn’t end up riding it as we were called forward as they needed a party of two. This actually happened quite a lot on the trip and is a new experience for us as we usually travel as a 4 so we don’t get to do this little queue jump. We ended up riding in the back row of Sneezy.

This was a really cute ride and I enjoyed it.

We wandered around and tried to find our way to POTC, we got a bit confused on Pirate Isle, but we made it there. We had quite a long wait, about 40 minutes, but again we enjoyed this ride. It was great fun. We looked for our photo at the end of the ride, but we’d both been ducking down and so we didn’t get it. At the time we thought we’d ride POTC loads of times, but in the end this was the one and only time we rode it as he wait times were horrific for the rest of the trip.

We arrived at the Indiana Jones ride at 6.55pm.

The posted wait time was 35 minutes. But it really didn’t look like it would be that long a wait.

I was wondering what we had let ourselves in for when I read the disclaimers! I'd also seen on some vlogs that this was quite a rickety head banger of a ride.

In the end we were the penultimate people in the queue as just 2 ladies came in after us. We were on the ride within 10 minutes and as we were going round the fireworks were starting. I enjoyed it and we both hoped to be able to ride again. It was a fun coaster and it was great to do it with the fireworks going off.

We walked back through the hub, trying not to see too much of the show as we planned on watching that later in the trip.

We walked back to Hotel Cheyenne as we had a dinner reservation for the Chuck Wagon Café at 8pm.

We stopped at the concierge desk first and asked to make some extra dining reservations for Chez Remy and Café Mickey. We had the standard dining plan which gave us a counter service breakfast plus 2 buffet meals per day for lunch and dinner at some of the buffet restaurant. I'd read on the dibb that we were allowed to use the credit as part payment towards more expensive meals.

I also set up charging to the hotel room by adding my credit card so that we didn’t have to take money or the card with us. I checked that we could charge to the room food and drink as well as souvenirs and they said yes this would be fine (watch this space as it actually wasn’t fine later in the trip).

We went over to Chuck Wagon Café. This was ok.

The salad bar was a bit like a Harvester salad bar.

We were starving hungry again (not sure how given all the food we'd eaten).

Kate had pickles and pasta for her first plate.

Then had a slice of pizza.

The chicken was pretty tasty.

I also tried the carved meat and had a jacket potato with it, but the potato wasn't cooked through which is a bit of a shame.

We decided to try out the puddings, these were fine.

It was an OK meal, but that's about all I can muster I'm afraid. Fortunately the other meals were all better than this and we enjoyed the buffet food from the other restaurants.

We went back to the room and Kate watched a bit of TV while I did a little unpacking. We were tucked up in bed by 10pm and I was really hoping to fall asleep straight away as I’d been up since 4am. We managed 24,226 steps today and we were shattered so I was thinking it would be easy to sleep. Unfortunately I did NOT stupid curtains that don't close properly...

Half-way through my sleepless night I decided to get a hair clip and used this to hold them shut!

And that is it, our first day at DLP. It was fun and we managed to do a couple of rides.

Tomorrow we planned on being up early so that we could go back the Disneyland Park and use the early morning time from 8.30am when the park was only open to hotel guests.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I am so looking forward to this 😀 , great first day. I did laugh at Kate’s determination to get Figment in, I had no doubt he would be going 😂. How clever of you to paint Kate’s nails in the car, I’m hopeless at nails, I actually get Georgia to do mine 😀 . Lovely photos of you both on the journey. You watched Georgia’s favourite film too, we love to curl up at home with a good teenage romance movie 😀

You packed so much in on the first day, and so much food too, such a good way to start I’m sure you will keep it up 😂

The room looks beautiful , great theming and it looks fresher than WDW rooms (is it just me or are they starting to look a bit worn?) I love the look of the rides you did, makes me excited about planning a trip ourselves for next year now 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I am so looking forward to this 😀 , great first day. I did laugh at Kate’s determination to get Figment in, I had no doubt he would be going 😂. How clever of you to paint Kate’s nails in the car, I’m hopeless at nails, I actually get Georgia to do mine 😀 . Lovely photos of you both on the journey. You watched Georgia’s favourite film too, we love to curl up at home with a good teenage romance movie 😀

You packed so much in on the first day, and so much food too, such a good way to start I’m sure you will keep it up 😂

The room looks beautiful , great theming and it looks fresher than WDW rooms (is it just me or are they starting to look a bit worn?) I love the look of the rides you did, makes me excited about planning a trip ourselves for next year now 😀
I'm not sure it was the best idea to do the nails in the car as even though we were on a motorway it was pretty bumpy and I did smudge them a bit. Still she was happy.

The journey was good and no trouble at all apart from turning up way too early!

The room was beautifully themed and I'm so glad we picked it. Given that it's the cheaper end of the scale it was pretty good. There were some questionable looking stains on the sofa though but I steered well clear of them.

We've been fortunate to stay in recently refurbished rooms at wdw so can't really compare. This room was perfect for the 2 of us and I would definitely stay at hotel Cheyenne again.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm not sure it was the best idea to do the nails in the car as even though we were on a motorway it was pretty bumpy and I did smudge them a bit. Still she was happy.

The journey was good and no trouble at all apart from turning up way too early!

The room was beautifully themed and I'm so glad we picked it. Given that it's the cheaper end of the scale it was pretty good. There were some questionable looking stains on the sofa though but I steered well clear of them.

We've been fortunate to stay in recently refurbished rooms at wdw so can't really compare. This room was perfect for the 2 of us and I would definitely stay at hotel Cheyenne again.
Sounds as if the rooms are the same then, clean but just a few stains and scratches here and there. Wouldn’t be enough to stop us staying there, we are barely in the room anyway 😀

We always turn up too early, I would prefer that than rushing at the last minute. Surprised they don’t allow you onto the station until an hour before
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Sounds as if the rooms are the same then, clean but just a few stains and scratches here and there. Wouldn’t be enough to stop us staying there, we are barely in the room anyway 😀

We always turn up too early, I would prefer that than rushing at the last minute. Surprised they don’t allow you onto the station until an hour before
Yes I think they are a similar quality and you're absolutely right about barely being in the room. I'd certainly stay at Cheyenne again, we loved being able to walk to the parks, that was a real bonus not having to wait for the bus.

We were about an hour and half early and there was a train before ours so we couldn't go through until the earlier train had gone as there were quite a lot of people all waiting in the Eurostar area. Still I'd rather be there than stuck in traffic worrying about getting there.

Old 24 Mar 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Kate suddenly looks so grown up compared to last summer!

Lovely start. Your room does look very cute, glad you managed to solve the curtain problem. Always lovely to squeeze some rides in on the first day. This is mean of me but I’m just a tiny bit glad you struggled to find your hotel because we ended all the way up in the car park when we tried to find ours so let’s agree it’s a DLP issue and nothing to do with our sense of direction!

Can’t wait to read how your first full day went.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Kate suddenly looks so grown up compared to last summer!

Lovely start. Your room does look very cute, glad you managed to solve the curtain problem. Always lovely to squeeze some rides in on the first day. This is mean of me but I’m just a tiny bit glad you struggled to find your hotel because we ended all the way up in the car park when we tried to find ours so let’s agree it’s a DLP issue and nothing to do with our sense of direction!

Can’t wait to read how your first full day went.
That's so funny that we both got a bit lost looking for the hotel!

The room was pretty cute, really good fun and lots of lovely little touches. Those curtains did annoy me though

We were glad to do any rides at all on day 1 and so to do the tea cups, Pirates and Indy was pretty good going.

Old 24 Mar 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Haha so glad figment made it 👌 he does look like he's determined to go in his little face.

A fab journey that didn't seem to take long.

Its great you managed to go to a park. The Alice part looks fab I love Alice in wonderland 😍

Such a shame about the food though but I'm over the moon you managed to get reservations at Cafe mickey and Chef Remy. I can't wait to see those especially Chef Remy (I love ratatouille!)

The curtains a pain! You'd have thoyght staying in a Disney hotel they'd have had decent enough curtains. But have you noticed you can use hair pins and clips for anytjimg 😂 xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Haha so glad figment made it 👌 he does look like he's determined to go in his little face.

A fab journey that didn't seem to take long.

Its great you managed to go to a park. The Alice part looks fab I love Alice in wonderland 😍

Such a shame about the food though but I'm over the moon you managed to get reservations at Cafe mickey and Chef Remy. I can't wait to see those especially Chef Remy (I love ratatouille!)

The curtains a pain! You'd have thoyght staying in a Disney hotel they'd have had decent enough curtains. But have you noticed you can use hair pins and clips for anytjimg 😂 xx
Yes, figment does seem pretty proud of himself.

The journey was really good and we only just squeezed the movie in, so it was pretty quick.

The weather was glorious for February we were so lucky that it was blue skies and our first visit to the parks was awesome.

We walked past Cafe Mickey every day and there were some pretty great characters in there so we were really hoping we'd see some that we hadn't met before. We saw Smee and Pinnochio through the windows so we were really looking forward to that.

After Gill said that Cafe Remy had the best steak I had to book it as I do like steak, spoiler alert, it was my favourite meal of the trip!

I wished I'd brought a couple more clips! But it did the job, honestly there must have been a good couple of inches of a gap.

Old 24 Mar 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Yes, figment does seem pretty proud of himself.

The journey was really good and we only just squeezed the movie in, so it was pretty quick.

The weather was glorious for February we were so lucky that it was blue skies and our first visit to the parks was awesome.

We walked past Cafe Mickey every day and there were some pretty great characters in there so we were really hoping we'd see some that we hadn't met before. We saw Smee and Pinnochio through the windows so we were really looking forward to that.

After Gill said that Cafe Remy had the best steak I had to book it as I do like steak, spoiler alert, it was my favourite meal of the trip!

I wished I'd brought a couple more clips! But it did the job, honestly there must have been a good couple of inches of a gap.
Good weather always seems to make thing so much better doesn't it?

I love Pinnochio ... I might as well just say I love everything Disney instead

I can't wait to see the report

I know what you mean though, I can't sleep with light shining through, in fact we were away for our birthdays on Friday night and I was up at 6.10am with the light shining through, I was fuming Did you mention anything to reception? Xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List