Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Oct 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pagan8c
Getting Excited

I have had 2 MRI scans for back trouble and the first was a small machine and my head was outside the scan. This was alright and had the music earphones which help a lot. The second one was a full size machine but my head right at the end so I could just see out so together with the Earphones it wasn't too bad. I have to keep breathing steadily and sing along to the music in my head because I have suffered from panic attacks in the past and managed to remain calm. As someone said it is like a washing machine when it starts banging around. The second one was for prostate examination so beats having a biopsy which I have hd some years ago. Anyway pronounced all clear so it was all for the best. As regards the staff they were really good and said to me before they started that if it got too much they would stop the machine so I didn't need to worry.
Pagan8c is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve had 3 MRI scans and had a mirror attached to the head cage so could see everything going on outside the machine. The staff member was in an opposite room and spoke to me on a microphone and could hear everything I said. I also had the radio on which I guess did drown out some of the noise! The second one was with a dye injection and I was a bit panicked about that but the staff were really good.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Pink_Fairy_Dust
Very Serious Dibber

A friend is due to have a MRI soon, is it the fact its such a small space that makes its quite a scary experience? I've also heard the machine emits loud bangs as it goes round is this right? My friend has had a CT scan already...

I remember from a while back my Nana, who has lots of medical things done including big risky operations, really hated the MRI but don't remember what was so awful beyond what else she has had done...
Pink_Fairy_Dust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pink_Fairy_Dust View Post
A friend is due to have a MRI soon, is it the fact its such a small space that makes its quite a scary experience? I've also heard the machine emits loud bangs as it goes round is this right? My friend has had a CT scan already...

I remember from a while back my Nana, who has lots of medical things done including big risky operations, really hated the MRI but don't remember what was so awful beyond what else she has had done...
Hi PFD, I think it may be that many are unaware of the small area/feeling of claustrophobia until they're in the machine. My scan wasn't continually noisy, it was giving off a banging sound when, I'm guess, the technicians were image capturing.

Used to wonder why, on TV dramas, MRI patients would panic, made sense once I was there! Whilst the lasses were canny I don't think they explained or, indeed, helped. There was zero explanation, no offer of headphones for music or to keep eyes closed/have an eye mask. The first I realised I had a problem was when they pushed me in and a combination of darkening and ceiling, ceiling, ceiling became too much, I knew I was snookered. I felt more of an explanation and perhaps an initial offer of going in feet first could have been made, especially as they were fully aware this was my first MRI.
Old 3 Oct 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Ask for some sedation next time, as otherwise you will get even more stressed. DD has one every 6 months and now manages without any sedation. Ithink it does help with music for distraction, and perhaps they may allow someone to stay with you. I hold on to DD feet whilst she is in!
Old 3 Oct 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I had one a couple of years ago and thought I would breeze through it but I found it really difficult.
I had expected to get headphones with music and for the staff to talk to me and explain what was going on and how long it would be and when the dye was going in .
None of that happened they just left me and I had to concentrate really hard not to panic and I had panic attacks afterwards.
It totally took me by surprise as I was not expecting to feel like that .
Next time I will have some diazepam

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mouli1 View Post
I had one a couple of years ago and thought I would breeze through it but I found it really difficult.
I had expected to get headphones with music and for the staff to talk to me and explain what was going on and how long it would be and when the dye was going in .
None of that happened they just left me and I had to concentrate really hard not to panic and I had panic attacks afterwards.
It totally took me by surprise as I was not expecting to feel like that .
Next time I will have some diazepam
I found it a bit like this too. I don’t usually get bothered about any kind of medical procedure but I didn’t find the MRI anything like I expected. I thought I’d breeze through it too but I found it pretty difficult to be honest.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Pagan8c
Getting Excited

I didn't have any sedation but the headphones help a lot in that you can concentrate on the music. I am surprised that some of you didn't get the microphones. the first MRI I had was well explained to me and the staff would ask me if everything was ok. The second was the 1 with the dye solution and that was weird when they released the dye as my arm went really cold and a slight sensation of pins and needles. Having had a couple I would probably be alright if I had to have more. I never got to see the scans as it would have been interesting to see my insides. I say this because all my internal organs are on the opposite sides to most people ie heart on the right instead of left etc.
Pagan8c is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

My DS is due to have one next month on his knee. Does anyone know will he have to go fully inside one - I assumed not as its just his knee but really have no idea how it works. Thanks
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ELLENUT View Post
My DS is due to have one next month on his knee. Does anyone know will he have to go fully inside one - I assumed not as its just his knee but really have no idea how it works. Thanks
Hi Ellen, basing my humble opinion on my own MRI, it may be that your son will only need his lower half in the MRI, and that is not a problem, once my head was outside the machine it was a breeze.