Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jul 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
bwfc4ife
VIP Dibber

August 2021 Work around. Things to consider?

Afternoon Dibbers

Finally coming to the realisation that August isn't going to happen. So trying to consider how we can do a Mexico/Caribbean stay for 15 nights, then 14 nights in Orlando. Spoke to TUI earlier (asked to go on 31st July), but they won't entertain it without the proviso that there will be a 100% loss if anything goes wrong...

So if we want to do this we are going to have to do it ourselves! Assuming the double-jab no-quarantine-travel thing does go ahead, what things do I need to consider? So far, I'm thinking of flying direct to Mexico or Caribbean, staying there, getting a flight to (hopefully) MCO, staying at Disney for 14 nights, then flying home from MCO or MIA or wherever we can get a flight from.

Everywhere I turn though, there seems to be another problem thrown up (e.g. originally I was planning 14 nights in 1st destination, but thanks to all you wonderful Dibbers, I have found it would need to be 15). So I guess I'm asking for people to share anything they can think of that might be a problem so I can get everything as fully covered as possible to make this work. Anything, no matter how small, would be greatly appreciated!

Apologies for the long post!

Edited at 02:43 PM.
bwfc4ife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bwfc4ife View Post
Afternoon Dibbers

Finally coming to the realisation that August isn't going to happen. So trying to consider how we can do a Mexico/Caribbean stay for 15 nights, then 14 nights in Orlando. Spoke to TUI earlier (asked to go on 31st July), but they won't entertain it without the proviso that there will be a 100% loss if anything goes wrong...

So if we want to do this we are going to have to do it ourselves! Assuming the double-jab thing does go ahead, what things do I need to consider? So far, I'm thinking of flying direct to Mexico or Caribbean, staying there, getting a flight to (hopefully) MCO, staying at Disney for 14 nights, then flying home from MCO or MIA or wherever we can get a flight from.

Everywhere I turn though, there seems to be another problem thrown up (e.g. originally I was planning 14 nights in 1st destination, but thanks to all you wonderful Dibbers, I have found it would need to be 15). So I guess I'm asking for people to share anything they can think of that might be a problem so I can get everything as fully covered as possible to make this work. Anything, no matter how small, would be greatly appreciated!

Apologies for the long post!
I don’t think it actually has to be 15 nights, that’s just to be on the safe side. You have to be out of the U.K. for 14 x 24 hour periods before you attempt to enter the United States.

We’ve done a custom booking with BA which covered flights from LGW to Cancun and then from Miami to LHR.

We’ve booked our accommodation in Cancun through Booking.com and then our accommodation in Disney is sorted through DVC.

Only outstanding part is the Cancun to MCO flight
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
bwfc4ife
VIP Dibber

Thanks, Robyn. Do you mind me asking the dates and prices of your BA flights please? And also the cancellation terms? Also what is your plan for getting from Orlando to Miami? Fly or drive?
Maybe get away with 14 nights in CUN and 15 nights in Disney then? Do we know how they actually verify the 14 x 24 periods when you arrive stateside?
bwfc4ife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
State27
Imagineer

I know of 2 people that were turned back after doing 14 , they had to stay another day
State27 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
bwfc4ife
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by State27 View Post
I know of 2 people that were turned back after doing 14 , they had to stay another day
thanks for this - probably worth staying 15 then just to be on the safe side. Don't want to spend 2 days flying back and forth!
Old 6 Jul 21, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

The flights for the 3 of us came in a shade under £1500. We just need flights from Cancun to MCO now.

And yes, plan was to drive from Orlando to Miami to catch the flight.
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Originally Posted by State27 View Post
Yes, I called and spoke to the US Embassy and they advised it had to be 14 full 24 hour periods outside of the U.K.. Apparently some had been tripped up by doing 14 calendar days instead and it not working out for them at immigration.
Old 6 Jul 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
kaiser7
Excited about Disney

So we are doing the following;

LHR - Nassau
Stay in The Bahamas for 15 nights
Nassau - Orlando
Pick up hire car at MCO and stay in Orlando for just under 3 weeks
Drive down to Miami, drop off hire car there
Miami - LHR

We’re both teachers so luckily have the time. In terms of expense, Florida part of the holiday was already paid for and the Bahamas worked out the same price as a decent european all inclusive! Absolute no brainer really.

Bahamas requires no testing if you’re double vaccinated. So just an antigen test needed to fly into MCO.

Who are people looking at for Insurance against FCO advice?
kaiser7 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
bwfc4ife
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by kaiser7 View Post
So we are doing the following;

LHR - Nassau
Stay in The Bahamas for 15 nights
Nassau - Orlando
Pick up hire car at MCO and stay in Orlando for just under 3 weeks
Drive down to Miami, drop off hire car there
Miami - LHR

We’re both teachers so luckily have the time. In terms of expense, Florida part of the holiday was already paid for and the Bahamas worked out the same price as a decent european all inclusive! Absolute no brainer really.

Bahamas requires no testing if you’re double vaccinated. So just an antigen test needed to fly into MCO.

Who are people looking at for Insurance against FCO advice?
Who did you book this with please? We have a package booked with Virgin already, and would ideally like to use the money to book something else if needed rather than be stuck with a voucher for next year!

Also, how will you go about getting the antigen (PCR?) test whilst in Nassau?

Thanks for the info - it's really helping to shape a plan for us.
Old 6 Jul 21, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
bwfc4ife
VIP Dibber

Just another thought - does anyone know whether Canada would be an option for us? Spend 15 nights there then fly down to MCO? (Know nothing about Canada so would need to do a lot of research first!)