Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Apr 14, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
donstrigger
Trying for More Ears

West Coast Advice

After a couple of fantastic trips to Florida and now the kids are older (17, 15 & 13) I am thinking of a trip to the West Coast. San Fransico, Yosemite LA & San Diego.
I am still tied to the school holidays and was looking at Easter 2015.
Can anyone advise what it is like this time of year? I have read Yosemite has been closed due to snow before, so was a bit unsure if this is the right time to go or should wait to the summer.
What are the crowds like, is it like Florida at that time of year?
If I arrange flights to arrive in the north and leave from the south is this the best thing to do or should I do it the other way round? I plan to get a car to go between, as I thought this would cut down travel time.
It also seems more expensive than Florida, flights accommodation etc. is this a correct assumption? Any ideas on how to cut costs would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
donstrigger is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 14, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Hi there, first I suggest you trawl through some trippies. We did Vegas to LA via Yosemite and San Fran last summer - Hi Sierras - and Twenty Years has done the same sort of thing.

Next, yes accommodation is dearer than Florida especially in the national parks and gets booked up quickly.

Tioga Pass will still be closed at Easter but Yosemite Valley will be open. Get google maps open and plot a few routes. However make sure you double the amount of time it says as even without stops, the roads are very slow - twisty and steep in places, plus lower speed limits thanwe have and then add in viewing stops etc.

I have very limited experience and I'm sure there will be others able to really help you more but feel free to ask or pm me if necessary.

Enjoy, its a beautiful place and one trip will not be enough!
Old 14 Apr 14, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

We honeymooned on the West coast years ago over Easter. If you want to go to places like Yosemite, or Sequoia National park, you may be better to go in the summer as the roads can be closed due to snow up until about May. We looked like right idiots driving up the Sequoia entrance in shorts and being told that we couldn't go any further without snow chains on the tyres!

We are going this summer with the kids and have found flights and accommodation more expensive than Florida but that's to be expected with a road trip where you aren't staying anywhere for too long so don't get discounts for extra nights etc.

If you want to stay in the National Parks, we've found that accommodation in Yosemite gets booked up a year in advance so plan well!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 14, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Replied to wrong thread oops
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 14, 06:33 AM  
Link to this Post
donstrigger
Trying for More Ears

Thanks for your reply"s. I might wait until the summer holidays 2015 so not restricted around Yosemite and this will give me plenty of time to research what I want to visit and plan a route. Reading some of the reports makes me feel like going now though.
Anyone know if it is best to start a trip in the North or South?
Thanks
donstrigger is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 14, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We drove north to south for two reasons, we were told SF can be cold , and it was really chilly even in August, so it was nice to make our way to the heat further south . Also you are on the coast side of the road if driving south so the passengers get amazing views along the PCH and there are viewing points to pull over on to Going the other way you have a line of traffic between you and the view so you would have a poorer aspect . We did SF to LA in two weeks, it was fab.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 14, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
donstrigger
Trying for More Ears

Hi
I think that the plan will be to start with a 3 or 4 nights in San Fran, then pick up a car and and make our way over to Yosemite for a night or two then drive down the coast stopping a few times on the way, but not sure where yet some more research to do on what I want to see, Then end with 3 or 4 nights in San Diego.
Still really not sure when to go, but leaning towards Easter still, only concern is Yosemite.
Can anyone tell me what I can definitely visit at Yosemite in Easter, just worried I might plan something and the weather and snow throws a spanner in the works.
Is it worth the stay for a night or two at that time of year and if so where would you recommend.
Thanks
Old 20 Apr 14, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Mobile

We did the West coast in July so can't help you with your time of the year.

We also started in SF because I wanted to end with heat it was very chilly when we did the boat ride under the bridge. Chilly and windy.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. For the Yosemite part of our trip we stayed just outside of the park. A couple of the hotels in the park looked really nice.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 14, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
thomass7
Excited about Disney

Hi
We are going this year in August ! And have decided on 3 nights in SF then onto 3 nights at Yosemite followed by 7 nights in Anaheim. We have 5 children 14, 11, 8, 7 and 4 so decided that 3 different stops was enough for us. Can't help with Easter as we are going in August but found trip advisor really good and helpful for accommodation in Yosemite, the accommodation does get booked up early but there are lots of private cabins etc that are within the park that you can book. For us this was the best option as we are a family of 7. We booked this in early Jan so 8 months in advance. we are flying in and out if LAX so on our first night we are just picking up the car and getting through LA and staying in an Embassy Suites ready for an early start to SF that first morning. Look out for Norwegian flights we got a great deal direct flights for £443 per person I think? Never done West Coast before so we are really excited we've been to Florida lots of times though.
thomass7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 14, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread