Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jul 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile Patio replacement

I’ve got a contractor coming this evening to finalise what I want doing with my patio which basically needs ripping out and starting again as it is sinking in parts.

I initially wanted composite decking but he thinks I’m better off with new slabs. As I prefer a light colour I’m probably going to go with his suggestion but can anyone recommend or share photos of your patios to help me make up my mind?

He has mentioned Indian flagstone - can I get that in a light colour? I like creamy colours like Cotswold stone.

What would you choose?

By the way this is for a patio at the bottom of the garden (raised) as I have a north facing garden and this is where gets most sun ... it is a fairly large patio and I will be paying up to £3k so I want to get this right!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

We have got Indian stone and really like it. It is fairly light and varies in shade on each slab. I will post a photo but its lashing down at the moment so it looks quite dark. As soon as it dries up I will post a pic.

Just to give you an idea, this...
i.pinimg/originals/6c/3c...bb2099e7bc.jpg
is exactly how ours looks (not our garden though).

Edited at 03:37 PM.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We have Egyptian Sandstone. I used a local supplier and it was a fraction of the price of a National supplier.

The problem with light colours is it's a sod to keep clean. Also it needs sealing every year with something like LTP colour enhancer and sealer.

This is about half of it.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 04:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We also have Indian sandstone bought from a local builder's merchant. Weather too miserable to take a new photo but here's one I took when the subject of sealing the slabs was asked on the DIBB. There must have been at least half a dozen colour ranges to choose from.

Mick

Edited at 04:03 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
We also have Indian sandstone bought from a local builder's merchant. Weather too miserable to take a new photo but here's one I took when the subject of sealing the slabs was asked on the DIBB. There must have been at least half a dozen colour ranges to choose from.

Mick
Is that a drain cover Mick? It's well disguised!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
Is that a drain cover Mick? It's well disguised!
Yes it's a recessed manhole cover designed to accommodate the slab but still has the slots for lifting keys.

Mick
Old 19 Jul 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Jim
Very Serious Dibber

We also have the Indian Sandstone - been down a few years now but I agree that you have to keep on top of it with cleaning and sealing.
Looks at it's best in the rain I always think as all the colours become so vibrant.
Big Jim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Loving these photos. We've got a contractor coming tomorrow to give us a quote too.

OP have you had a quote at £3k? I'd hoped for that sort of amount but others are saying £5-7k
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Loving these photos. We've got a contractor coming tomorrow to give us a quote too.

OP have you had a quote at £3k? I'd hoped for that sort of amount but others are saying £5-7k
It all depends how many sq metres. I get trade price and my slabs alone were £1200, plus another £200 for the bullnose matching stone steps.

Labour on top was another £3K but that was a mate and he had to build all the brickwork as well to get it level.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We are saving up to have our patio done here and are thinking about
outdoor porcelain tiles, they are meant to be very good and dont require as much maintenance
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List