Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Apr 14, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
CurlySue
Imagineer

West Coast Virgin

Hi all

i am now contemplating adding a stay in the west coast to our trip in 2016

ive only had a quick look but am a little bit confused

we would only really want to stay in one place for maybe 5 nights

we would love to be able to visit

Alcatraz
a beach
six flags
the holly wood sign
beverly hills

is there anywhere we could use as a base then travel to these places on a daily bases, we will hire a car and dont mind driving for an hour or so a day

sorry if this is really stupid and there all hours away from each other

thanks
CurlySue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 14, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
CurlySue
Imagineer

so having more of a look

it seems if we stay in San Francisco, we can visit Six Flags theme park, a beach and Alcatraz

it looks as if the hollywood sign and beverly hills are 5/6 hours away! xx
CurlySue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 14, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post

There's a six flags in la too. You would be better splitting your trip. Check out some trippies inc mine as we did sf/la in 2012
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 14, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Where else are you going in 2016?

I know people have done it and had a great time, but I personally would not go all the way to the West Coast for 5/6 nights. You won't even scratch the surface and there is a lot of travelling to get there.

We had 21 nights and didn't see half of what I'd wanted to
Old 13 Apr 14, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Where else are you going in 2016?

I know people have done it and had a great time, but I personally would not go all the way to the West Coast for 5/6 nights. You won't even scratch the surface and there is a lot of travelling to get there.

We had 21 nights and didn't see half of what I'd wanted to
Totally agree Personally, unless you've done the West coast before, I would not twin it with anywhere else. Was it Orlando you were going to combine it with? What I would say, is if you did it on it's own, you would not be disappointed, although, I do think identical parks are superior in Orlando, they are not just the same parks in different places. However, for overall experience, the West coast is much better as a destination. Everything is very spread out, so you would tire easily and not get the best out of it for 5/6 days.

There are a lot of experienced people on here, so someone will help so ask away WileyCoyote, did a brilliant trippie of orlando and the west coast in 2012. Have a read of that and see what you think It's like a guide book with a sense of humour injection
happytraveller is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 14, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
CurlySue
Imagineer

thanks all for your comments

i have decided to do 7 nights in LA and then 2 weeks in Florida

another trip we will do vegas, san fran etc

what do you think?

we would like to visit a beach, six flags, the bodies museum, madame tussauds and maybe a tour or two
Old 13 Apr 14, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Personally, I wouldnt do the west coast and east coast on the same trip - its another 3 times zones and you will need a day just for travelling.

I would do a West coast tour with LA, SF and LV if I was going to the West Coast - and maybe add in San Diego or Yosimite

And then I would go to Florida separately.
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 14, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

First, I wouldn't combine the two Coasts, but if you're dead set on that I'm not sure I'd want to spend seven nights in LA. The size of it is unimaginable to us Brits, and getting from one side to another can be ... Challenging!

Stuff like the Walk of Fame, seeing the Hollywood sign, doing a tour of the Stars' Homes (if that's your thing) will take a half day. Add another half day for the beach, and you've still got lots of time to kill /fill. I think (not sure) Six Flags is not close to the other sights you mention so you might want to consider whether logistically it makes sense to spend seven nights in LA itself, or to split it and stay North and South of the sprawling metropolis?

JMO but of all the places we visited when we went to the West Coast, LA was my least favourite.
Old 15 Apr 14, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
It's definitely worth having more time on the West Coast. Our regret last year was visiting New York first -we all wished we had gone to San Francisco then onto San Diego and Anaheim! There is so much to see/do in California, and you could keep a Florida visit until the following year.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 14, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread