Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 28 May 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Tangled88
Excited about Disney

Autism/Masks

Hi all

My three year old son is currently being referred as they think he may have autism. We are struggling to get him to wear a mask. It’s hard to communicate with him to encourage him to do so as he doesn’t speak. They believe his speech delay is connected to his autism. This is all really new to us but I saw on virgins website you don’t have to wear a mask based on some medical exceptions.

Does anyone know if children with Autism need to wear a mask or can I get a letter from his doctor to say he is except? I know currently at Disney he will need to wear one, if this is still the case when we go we will just avoid the Disney parks xx
Old 28 May 21, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Sorry can’t help with the flight but the parks are lifting mask restrictions bothnin and outside
From tomorrow No masks out or inside and Disney has lifted some mask wearing restrictions as well Sea World and Busch similar
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 21, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Tangled88
Excited about Disney

Thanks for your reply. I saw the news about universal just hoping Disney will follow their lead.

We are more than happy to just do universal/seaworld and Lego land as long as we can do the flight. Me and my husband have no problems wearing one, it’s just our son. Fingers crossed xx
Old 28 May 21, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
No any child under 11 don’t need to wear a mask

WHO advises that people always consult and abide by local authorities on recommended practices in their area. An international and multidisciplinary expert group brought together by WHO reviewed evidence on COVID-19 disease and transmission in children and the limited available evidence on the use of masks by children.

Based on this and other factors such as childrens’ psychosocial needs and developmental milestones, WHO and UNICEF advise the following:

Children aged 5 years and under should not be required to wear masks. This is based on the safety and overall interest of the child and the capacity to appropriately use a mask with minimal assistance.

WHO and UNICEF advise that the decision to use masks for children aged 6-11 should be based on the following factors:

Whether there is widespread transmission in the area where the child resides
The ability of the child to safely and appropriately use a mask
Access to masks, as well as laundering and replacement of masks in certain settings (such as schools and childcare services)
Adequate adult supervision and instructions to the child on how to put on, take off and safely wear masks
Potential impact of wearing a mask on learning and psychosocial development, in consultation with teachers, parents/caregivers and/or medical providers
Specific settings and interactions the child has with other people who are at high risk of developing serious illness, such as the elderly and those with other underlying health conditions
WHO and UNICEF advise that children aged 12 and over should wear a mask under the same conditions as adults, in particular when they cannot guarantee at least a 1-metre distance from others and there is widespread transmission in the area.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 21, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

just looked at Virgins excemption policy re mask wearing on flights it’s as clear as mud
I guess you would need to get customers service to clarify it and respond in writing
Let’s hope the airlines policy’s will soon follow the parks and the US in general
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 21, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Unfortunately US guidelines state all children over 2 must wear a mask on airlines
If flying to the US
Old 28 May 21, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I spoke to Virgin Atlantic a couple of weeks ago regarding a seating issue and my DGS's (11) requirements (Autism).

I was reminded that he needed to wear a mask onboard but, if this was an issue for him, I would need to send a Doctor's letter to them before the flight and he could be exempt on board. I've not tested this as it's not something I need to do as he feels safer wearing a mask.

Jill
speedwayfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Tangled88
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by speedwayfan View Post
I spoke to Virgin Atlantic a couple of weeks ago regarding a seating issue and my DGS's (11) requirements (Autism).

I was reminded that he needed to wear a mask onboard but, if this was an issue for him, I would need to send a Doctor's letter to them before the flight and he could be exempt on board. I've not tested this as it's not something I need to do as he feels safer wearing a mask.

Jill
Thanks Jill, that’s really useful.
I’ll wait to see when the travel ban is lifted and then contact them xx
Old 29 May 21, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tangled88
Excited about Disney

Just an update incase it helps others.

I spoke to universal today who have said any children will still need to wear a mask regardless of any disabilities so looks like we will be rescheduling.

Really disappointed with universal if I’m honest. Virgin holidays confirmed he wouldn’t need to wear a mask for the flight as long as I had a letter from his doctor but not sure if it’s worth going all that way and not doing any of the parks xx
Old 29 May 21, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
SLTh
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Tangled88 View Post
Just an update incase it helps others.

I spoke to universal today who have said any children will still need to wear a mask regardless of any disabilities so looks like we will be rescheduling.

Really disappointed with universal if I’m honest. Virgin holidays confirmed he wouldn’t need to wear a mask for the flight as long as I had a letter from his doctor but not sure if it’s worth going all that way and not doing any of the parks xx
Regarding mask exemptions on Virgin flights, I have dealt with them this week and have to say they were extremely helpful. I didn't have the exact wording 'cannot wear a mask' for my 6 year old, but I sent over a letter showing her various diagnoses and they were happy with that and confirmed mask exemption for the flight.
SLTh is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List