Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 14 Dec 21, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
babycanaansmum
Very Serious Dibber

Unexpectedly my son is in wheelchair - going Thursday!

Hello,

I am really looking for any advice at all - we are travelling to Orlando on Thursday! My son had an accident on Friday in school (he is 13) the hospital believe he has a torn meniscus they call it bucket handle tear. He has had an MRI today and meeting the consultant tomorrow to go through the results.

The problem we now have is he is unable to extend his leg (his knee is locked in to a bent position) and cannot stand on crutches very long. The consultant said we can go but he would obviously be limited in what he can / cant do. He wants to go as does my husband.

I would be so grateful for any advice at all as I have no knowledge of any assistance related matters at all. I have hired a wheelchair which he can push his self and wanted to take this with us.
Old 14 Dec 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

So sorry to hear this.

Your first call needs to be to the Special Assistance Team at the airline you are flying with. They will help guide you with what is / is not possible regarding travel and taking the wheelchair with you. Need to do this urgently as there may be extra medical forms you need completing.

Also contact your Travel Insurers and explain what has happened. You may have to pay an extra fee to cover his current medical situation.

Once this done then look at talking to Guest Services at the theme parks etc once you get there for a DAS pass.

Hope this helps.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 21, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

It’s not too late to book special assistance at the airports via your airline for both outward and return journeys. They should let you board first to get settled in your seats ahead of other passengers as well as helping you to and from the gate.

Edited at 05:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to say, the airline will want to know the weight and dimensions of the wheelchair which will be carried without extra charge in the hold.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 21, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

First port of call should be your travel insurance as if they won’t cover it if would be risky to go. X
Old 14 Dec 21, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

The DAS pass at Disney is not for pure mobility issues like your son's. However the good news is that the queues etc are almost all wheelchair accessible anyway now. My daughter relies on a wheelchair almost completely outside the house and living in Orlando is probably one of the easiest places to get around. She can't even imagine trying to live in the UK now with all the steps into shops etc.

If you are renting a car, Disney will allow you to park in the disabled section without a badge if you explain that you have a wheelchair. I am sure Universal are the same although I haven't personally had to do that. Just speak to the parking attendants directing traffic at Disney and the person taking the money at Universal.

There will be loads of things he can still do and I would definitely still go as well. I think he will definitely find pushing himself all day alot harder than he expects though especially in a rental wheelchair rather than one custom built for him. I would suggest cycling gloves if he is very determined but also expect to have to help at times. There are alot of small hills you don't really notice when walking as well!

If he can hobble onto the plane with the crutches, you don't need to worry about special assistantance as much as they let anyone take a wheelchair to the door. My daughter needed an evacuation chair the last time we flew which is much more of a nuisance but still doable. I would try and get seats near the front and toilets though.

If the wheelchair has removable leg rests, cushion etc. I would suggest taking them on board as the have a habit if getting seperated in the hold.
Old 15 Dec 21, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Your travel insurance will not cover anything to do with this injury so please bear this in mind and ensure you have a good credit card to pay for any unexpected bills.

Edited at 12:02 AM.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 21, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

I have a bucket handled tear, Sadly needs surgery to remove the torn meniscus. Knee locks, jams, sticks, gives way.Physio didn't help. MRI scan=diagnosis=surgery for me.
I doubt your insurance will cover you for any treatment required while on holiday.
I damaged mine on holiday in Lanzarote and required pain relief injections as muscle spasm happened due to knee locked in semi bent position. Flight home was horrible as I couldn't get my knee in a comfortable position, couldn't get up to the toilet etc as unable to weight bear .
Don't want to be a Debbie downer sorry
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Your travel insurance will not cover anything to do with this injury so please bear this in mind and ensure you have a good credit card to pay for any unexpected bills.
It will depend upon the policy, talk to your insurers.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List