Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jan 22, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
VIP Dibber

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
New job and holiday

If you have a holiday booked and you go for a new job would you mention the holiday at the interview stage or once you start the job or try to move the holiday
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

I would mention it for 2 reasons, 1...its a good idea to find out if you can have the time off as others may have that week booked off
2... it's always good to be upfront with your employers as they will appreciate your honesty.
Also if they get funny about it ,it may let you see if they are nice people to work for depending on their reaction.
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I wouldn't mention it, it's only an issue if they offer the job.

If you get offered the job, mention it before signing and get it agreed then.

If you mention it before they may go with a "next best" option when they really wanted you.

However I agree with the other poster that if they are difficult about it, it probably gives you an insight to working with them!
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireRose
Proud to wear my Ears

If its a regular thing eg you're likely to be going on more than one 'big' holiday each year then even more reason to be up front. Employers appreciate honesty as it sets the scene for what may happen going forward, if you lie/mislead/keep quiet at interview what else would be withheld later on?. If it was booked before you got the interview I would expect employer to be reasonable and allow time off. If not I would question how supportive they are, unless they made it clear up front themselves that time off at certain periods isn't permissible and would be a barrier to people applying in the first place, eg time off at Christmas?
YorkshireRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Nelly7
Excited about Disney

Personally wouldn’t say anything until getting a job offer, unless it was very close to the expected start date of the new job.
Nelly7 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
If you have a holiday booked and you go for a new job would you mention the holiday at the interview stage or once you start the job or try to move the holiday
I would definitely not mention it at interview stage, unless asked but I never have been asked at that stage. I would mentioned it at the accepting an offer stage, whether asked or not.

I would not be impressed with a new employee who mentions a holiday the day they start and definitely would not do that myself either.

Edited at 12:28 PM.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Monolith
Excited about Disney

If asked at interview then be honest
If asked at job offer be honest
If agreeing job then be honest as you might not get the dates

Might be a theme here
Monolith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Monolith makes a good point...

If asked you need to be honest, if not asked that is their issue not yours.

You are under no obligation to tell them at an interview you have a job booked, they certainly won't tell you which weeks are already blocked out in their calendars as "no holidays" so why would you?

This is only an issue if they offer the job, so unless explicitly asked, it isn't the time to talk about it

I used to do interviews for one of the large consultancy firms, probably interviewed 40+ people a year, we were explicitly told by our HR team not to ask that question, for a few reasons.

1) we wanted the best people not the most available
2) we were very aware that declining a position based on a holiday plan could lead to a grievance later, so much better to not have it on record anyway
3) the negotiation of holidays is a HR activity not a hiring manager, so let people do what they are employed to do

Edited at 12:37 PM.
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
I think you should gauge it on the day. I mentioned it at my final interview of my latest job. I was joining a small team and was going to be on holiday just a couple of months after joining. Wanted to be upfront. I wasn’t going to mention it but once my boss spoke about the team dynamics, I felt I needed to say something. I would always hope that availability over a 2 week period would seem unimportant vs hiring the right person for the role.
Old 2 Jan 22, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
arl71
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

WhenI'm interviewing I usually ask if theinterviewee has any holidays booked.It would make no difference to whether I offerthatperson therole.As anemployer I wouldmake everyeffort toaccommodate any previously bookedholidays and knowing the dates at an early stage helps with planning workloads.I expect absolute honesty from my team and would be very disappointed if this was sprung on me at a later date.
arl71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List