Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 3 Jan 22, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mandsjh
Apprentice Imagineer

Disney on-site - worth it any more

Hi

We did Disney onsite at akl several times up to 2016.

We had free ddp, free hotel and park parking, free fast pass, etc. And it felt like there were decent perks to offset the onsite prices.

I’m not up to date with what’s changed but if I mock up a Disney booking there doesn’t seem to be ddp, no more free fast passes and parking isn’t free.

So what is the benefit of staying onsite now?

Seriously thinking we might as well book a cheap and cheerful hotel offsite and do it on a budget instead.
Mandsjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

From a pure value for money perspective, no. You'll get much cheaper accommodation of a similar quality offsite. And if you were planning to hire a car anyway, the free transport is a bit of a moot benefit since you'd still be paying for the car so may as well use it.

The early entry is still good if you are rope droppers to get in 1-2 attractions before park open. With the crowds as they've been this past year (Delta spike aside) that can be a big benefit, especially if you're trying to avoid paying for Genie+ passes. But if you like to have a lie in while on holiday, no real difference where you stay. If you are planning on paying for Genie+, onsite does get early access (from 7am instead of park open) to the individual attraction bookings which again can be a big benefit for the ones that sell out fast like RotR.

For me, as a solo female non-driver, I like the convenience and safety that the bubble provides. And I'm a rope dropper, I use early entry every day for the lower crowds even if not running to attractions. But I don't think most of the hotels are worth what they are charging for them in recent years, and far less so without the reduced value of the UK offers. So I've dropped down to a value resort for the benefits without the huge price tag. I have done the maths on costs and an offsite + Uber (offsite shuttles aren't frequent enough for me) didn't have enough saving to be worth losing those benefits.

Edited at 04:37 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post

We only once had the free DDP while staying at the Poly, and as we got upgraded to Club Level at check in, we just had far too much food at our disposal! So I guess if you’re not used to the free DP you don’t miss it.

We tend to alternate on site stays with Universal, and prefer having the free express pass over the Dining Plan. It suits us better, eat what you want when you want, though I do have my Disney favourite resteraunts and have done the whole 180 day rigmarole many times!

Our next and likely last Disney World stay will be with our family and grandaughter, so for her to experience the whole Disney magic, it will be onsite, and we will go through whatever rigmarole it takes just for her!

To me it’s worth it to be in the bubble, it just feels more magic for a child, and though the perks are less, the only one I think I will miss is FP. I used to feel quite smug getting on the plane, knowing I had 42 rides booked!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

For us no, it was nice to be in the bubble and to have free dining was great. With all that gone I cannot justify - for us instead of all sharing a room, we will now have a big villa and pool/hot tub/cinema room/pool table. However, my boys are now teens - if they were still little I might miss the bubble more.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
I don’t think it’s worth in terms of value in comparison to several years ago. Is it stopping us from staying onsite? No. We have booked 2 adjoining rooms for All Star Music for the 4 of us. We could have got a far bigger, cheaper place offsite but we really love staying onsite. Add in we have 2 giftcards totalling $400 and $72 per night dining credits, free parking for the theme parks. it’s still an ok offer for us but no way as good as before.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
for the price of 2 nights in a value resort we are getting 17 nights in the Serlago Kissimmee {£317}, thats why we chose it.
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

My (probably not so helpful!) answer to this is always: the benefit of staying at Disney, is that you're at Disney. It all depends on how much you value that. For me, I wouldn't have it any other way. Is it a "Disney holiday", or is Disney just a small aspect of an Orlando trip? If I went on a New York City holiday, would I stay in New Jersey? Probably not. Unless that is the type of holiday I wanted.

Sure, the "perks" for park access have been watered down over the years. I don't think we've ever actually used the extra hours though as we like to make our own plans.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mandsjh
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
My (probably not so helpful!) answer to this is always: the benefit of staying at Disney, is that you're at Disney. It all depends on how much you value that. For me, I wouldn't have it any other way. Is it a "Disney holiday", or is Disney just a small aspect of an Orlando trip? If I went on a New York City holiday, would I stay in New Jersey? Probably not. Unless that is the type of holiday I wanted.

Sure, the "perks" for park access have been watered down over the years. I don't think we've ever actually used the extra hours though as we like to make our own plans.
I get you. We love Disney but for 4 of us to stay onsite is £1000”s more and without the perks i was looking to save some cash. My boys are past the magic (but we’re lucky enough to do it). Was looking at an med holiday and off site brings florida into play.

Ps, we’ve done New York and I would absolutely choose New Jersey over Manhattan every time. Our room looked out at the world trade centre and skyline. Coming home each night was bliss. Plus it was better quality for less cost and “that” view. Using the PASS train which was 3 mins walk from our hotel got us to the world trade centre in less than 10 mins. Newark is far easier to get to an navigate than jfk and flights are often cheaper. It’s my top tip for anybody going to nyc - stay on the river in jersey!
Mandsjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I stay on site. As a solo non-driving female visitor I like not having to worry about getting to and from the parks. Plus I like staying in the Disney bubble, I feel safe there. For health reasons I don't do full park days, I spend a lot of time in the hotel/resort so the theming and general surroundings are important to me.

Edited at 06:13 PM.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 22, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
No benefit now other than closer to the parks . Swan for the dates I’d got BC booked is 2 grand cheaper and next door

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List