Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 5 Jan 22, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

According to the program 1/4 of all UAE men have two wives.

Great idea. Twice as much sex for me and only half as much for them.

Win win!
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
We've been to Dubai just once, in March 2019, but only as a stop over for a few days on our way to Mauritius. We had looked at going there many times before this visit but always dismissed it in favour of somewhere else as it just didn't appeal.

I'm glad we went and we did everything we wanted to see and do, but we probably wouldn't choose to go back for many of the reasons already mentioned on this thread. I can't really put my finger on it, but it did seem to me to have a strange vibe about it, but if you've not been before and fancy going, why not give it a try for yourself. Be prepared for the high cost when there though!

Debra
Old 5 Jan 22, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We’ve been twice.
First time I felt I didn’t love it (busy traffic, lots of building work/cranes, a bit nervous about what to wear when out of hotel) but on reflection it ticked a lot of boxes (same way as when you trash round Disney at 100mph it’s only when you get home you realise what a great holiday it was!).
After the second visit, I do love it, and will return. As someone else said further up, it is what you make it. The hotels are fabulous (stayed at Atlantis once and Grand Hyatt once), service great, weather great in off season and not as far as Florida, nice beaches, loads to do, sightseeing or theme parks if you want them, or just chill out by the pool.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I hear that Mr Epstein’s island was fabulous also.. but I am glad to say that I have never been there.

Sometimes the moral high ground has to be taken into consideration.. and as I said earlier.. I am not normally a big one for morals.

To be completely honest I was thinking of Dubai purely as a holiday destination, and it's laws never entered my head, for some reason. I never want to visit anywhere where homosexuality is punishable, just personally. I'm glad I started this thread as I definitely don't want to go to Dubai.
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Emily90 View Post
To be completely honest I was thinking of Dubai purely as a holiday destination, and it's laws never entered my head, for some reason. I never want to visit anywhere where homosexuality is punishable, just personally. I'm glad I started this thread as I definitely don't want to go to Dubai.
I would be keen to see it.. but will not and for the reasons that I and others have outlined.

Sometimes in life, you simply have to do what you believe to be right. My general belief in equality for all transcends any other consideration and in this case, the bigotry is so blatant, that I cannot simply ignore it. If the trip was free and with $1000 a day of spends, then I would still refuse to travel. I do not care if they have created the worlds greatest hotels, attractions and dining. I will never darken their doors if modern slavery has been involved in said construction..

Some simply put on blinkers and ignore these fundamental issues (or are ignorant to them). To them, having a good time may be more important than the blatant abuse of basic human rights in order to facilitate their enjoyment. I could not do this.

Some believe that their personal enjoyment takes precedence over the basic human rights of others, regarding it as merely a minor issue that can be swept under the carpet. ‘Let them eat cake’ and all that.

I simply cannot turn a ‘Nelsonian eye’ to it all. Perhaps I have a conscience after all!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:18 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

We stopped for three nights on the way to Japan. I liked it but didn’t love it. I love sunshine and heat but July in Dubai is not fun. I’ve never been in the sea hotter than a bath before. 🥵

I did enjoy visiting the Burj, and the Atlantis water park - possibly my favourite water park. I’d go back for a stop over if travelling east again but possibly wouldn’t go back just to visit. My two children LOVE Dubai though.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
merlinsmum
Having Dinner with Goofy

I’ve also stayed for a couple of nights as part of a stop over en route with emirates. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy some aspects such as the restaurants and the burj etc but the overall vibe and undertones put me off - I actually got hissed at in one of the malls and I consider I was dressed quite modestly / appropriately and so I’m perplexed as to why. I’d maybe go back but only for a short stop en-route somewhere.
merlinsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We went oct half term a few years ago. We didn’t maybe have the traditional Dubai holiday - we stayed in the hotel at the Motiongate theme park resort.
Things we loved -
The weather - lovely and hot and sunny but not at all humid
The hotel - very luxurious, food was amazing
The theme park - almost empty so no queues and the rides were pretty good. It did lack atmosphere a bit…. a theme park does need a certain amount of people!
The service - every where we went was top class service
Holiday value - our holiday was very reasonable over all. I think we got a very good deal as the park was quite new… and I’m assuming not very popular!
Things we didn’t like -
Dress code - worrying what was or wasn’t acceptable to wear and if it would be in any way inoffensive
Cost of alcohol- we had a very dry holiday due to this!
Underlining attitudes to LGBT people - our daughter was 15/16 and is gay… and dresses in a fairly masculine way. I felt she had a lot of scrutiny at passport control! But actually apart from this there were no issues but you know the laws are there. Like others have said… it’s a hard holiday ethically.
Overall I wouldn’t rush to go back! Dubai is like nothing I’ve ever seen… flying over the desert for example, gold sky scrapers, it’s very different from other destinations. To me though it’s too man made, too blingy and a destination for the Instagram generation more!
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 22, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Reading this thread has made me not want to sell Dubai at all 😕
I will definitely not be suggesting it from now on
Old 9 Jan 22, 01:27 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I would be keen to see it.. but will not and for the reasons that I and others have outlined.

Sometimes in life, you simply have to do what you believe to be right. My general belief in equality for all transcends any other consideration and in this case, the bigotry is so blatant, that I cannot simply ignore it. If the trip was free and with $1000 a day of spends, then I would still refuse to travel. I do not care if they have created the worlds greatest hotels, attractions and dining. I will never darken their doors if modern slavery has been involved in said construction..

Some simply put on blinkers and ignore these fundamental issues (or are ignorant to them).

Some believe that their personal enjoyment takes precedence over the basic human rights of others, regarding it as merely a minor issue that can be swept under the carpet. ‘Let them eat cake’ and all that.

I simply cannot turn a ‘Nelsonian eye’ to it all. Perhaps I have a conscience after all!
I completely agree with you. I don’t choose my holiday location based on politics, I simply choose somewhere with interesting or beautiful sights to see.

However, Dubai makes me uncomfortable. I’ve never been, and possibly never will. I just wouldn’t feel comfortable in a country where the colour of someone’s skin, their sexuality or social class determines how they were treated. I know that every country judges people to a certain extent on these factors and other factors too, but I would hate to visit somewhere with a general hatred of anyone who doesn’t suit their idealism.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List