Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jan 22, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
LittleTibbs
Apprentice Imagineer

Contact lenses online

Hi,

I'm going back to trying contact lenses.

I have an appointment booked for Tesco in a couple of weeks and I just thought I'd ask on here.

The opticians in Tesco advised that I could trial them for a couple of weeks with it being so long since I last wore them.

Afterwards, she said that once they are happy that I'm good to go, that I can either buy them online, or do a subscription service with them for £35 (I think). I think you get glasses half price and she said it can be paused etc.

I just wondered if anyone has done either?

Many thanks x

*added - I'm also not sure which ones to look out for online or if they're all basically the same.

Edited at 08:22 PM.
LittleTibbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I have something very similar through Specsavers. I pay monthly, my lenses are delivered every 3 months. My plan is a fresh pair every day. All aftercare is included. I’ve been on this service for about 20 years and it works well.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I'm also on this sort of deal - similar price, pay monthly abs receive lenses every three months. Mine are dailies.

All aftercare included - contact Les checkups etc.

I'd rather do this than buy online as the optician has to see my eyes and check their health too, which is very important.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
StarStitch
Proud to wear my Ears

Never used Tesco so can't speak on them. I usually get my prescription from Boots then I buy them online from Vision Direct. Mine ( without any discounts) are about £40 for a pack of 30 daily disposables. Mine are for astigmatism which are generally more expensive, I also have an issue with dry eyes but have never had any problems with the Acuvue Moist. They always arrive within 24 hrs (during working days) and i'm really happy with them.
StarStitch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
LittleTibbs
Apprentice Imagineer

Ah great, thanks everyone. Was wondering about the subscription so I might look a little more into that 👍👍
LittleTibbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

To be honest, once you’ve got your prescription you can pretty much got to any online store, some are much cheaper than the opticians.

I pay £30 a month with Specsavers for my daily disposable lenses, but if you can go for monthly it’s only £15 a month.

One lens I tried recently we the photo chromic ones, they get darker our in the sun, would be great for Florida!
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I buy mine as daily disposables and wear them a few weeks, taking them out on a night of course and putting in solution, as does Mrs YT. Not recommended supposedly but been doing it decades with no issues whatsoever. Don’t follow my advice though, I once said I did this and someone on here took this to mean I simply left them in my eyes 24/7!
I started doing it after Johnson were successfully sued in the US for selling effectively the same lens as a daily disposable as a monthly, with an inconsequential curve differential. They paid compensation. So I thought if they were essentially the same, why not just wear them a month?
Don’t follow my example though as no doubt we will get people saying it is dangerous etc. Follow the advice of professionals, we will carry on with our lenses hardly costing anything though. Optician is aghast when we tell them. Partly because I’m there for a check up and not some costly lens subscription service.
I also changed my lenses myself. I couldn’t read up close any more, so just went down to one which was fine. Then someone suggested I put a low power one in my left eye instead of none. So I got a .5. Spot on, I can read close and see far. I’m a terrible example.
Cost is about £40 a year. I repeat do not do this.

Edited at 10:07 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
LittleTibbs
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I buy mine as daily disposables and wear them a few weeks, taking them out on a night of course and putting in solution, as does Mrs YT. Not recommended supposedly but been doing it decades with no issues whatsoever. Don’t follow my advice though, I once said I did this and someone on here took this to mean I simply left them in my eyes 24/7!
I started doing it after Johnson were successfully sued in the US for selling effectively the same lens as a daily disposable as a monthly, with an inconsequential curve differential. They paid compensation. So I thought if they were essentially the same, why not just wear them a month?
Don’t follow my example though as no doubt we will get people saying it is dangerous etc. Follow the advice of professionals, we will carry on with our lenses hardly costing anything though. Optician is aghast when we tell them. Partly because I’m there for a check up and not some costly lens subscription service.
I also changed my lenses myself. I couldn’t read up close any more, so just went down to one which was fine. Then someone suggested I put a low power one in my left eye instead of none. So I got a .5. Spot on, I can read close and see far. I’m a terrible example.
Cost is about £40 a year. I repeat do not do this.
Oh wow - that’s really interesting. I never knew that about Johnson. I knew someone who had the monthly ones and just popped them in the solution and I wondered what the difference was between the two (like the difference in their structure with them being so small). But yes I won’t do this 😂
Old 15 Jan 22, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

I use to use the day an night lenses, literally put a new pair in at the beginning of the month and leave them in 24/7 and just change them at the end of the month.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
LittleTibbs
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
I use to use the day an night lenses, literally put a new pair in at the beginning of the month and leave them in 24/7 and just change them at the end of the month.
Oh wow, never knew these existed!